Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Fuel pump going out???

Question, I thought usually with a electric fuel pump it worked until it died. Im having a problem, its only happened three times. Usually right after I start the car. It starts up, but as I drive away it seems like its running out of gas and its not empty. Other than that it runs awesome. Doesnt act up when im driving around. Any suggestions??

Black
    1998 z28

Change the fuel filter.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Help

Ok, I changed the fuel filter, still has the problem. Now it does it no matter how much gas is in the tank. I start the car. A block down the road it acts like its running out of gas for alittle bit. Then I can get it going and it seems to run fine until I park it again. HELP

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Thumbs up

If you suspect a faulty fuel pump, I would recommend you employ the use of a fuel pressure gauge. Access your fuel rail pressure tap, (should be up front, on the driver's side of the engine facing the front, with a black cap on it.) and double check to specifications. I would think you want to see around 55psi running +/- a few lbs, but double check your service manual. You could drive the car around with the gauge taped to the windshield if need be to test for an intermittent condition.

Don't worry, installing a new fuel pump in an f-car isn't as bad as it looks.

Black
    1998 z28

I installed a new fuel pump recently the old pump burnt out, I ran out of gas.If you run it to low you can over heat the pump it's gas cooled and that could be the reason it's on the way out.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

well to change the car but stay on topic my honda had the same problem but i dont know what it is yet, yesterday I decided to save some gas and take the Accord to an interview but was i slapped on the face whent that Lemon left me on W.W. White Rd., however i didnt know if it was the fuel pump but the problems were like this... at the lights before it happened the car felt like it was running out of gas, and then it shut off, but then i re-started and took off to the next light it just shut off again, so i re-started it and took off however it just gave up and starting dying slowly so when i was checking during ignition (this is what you do to test your Ignitions system on any car) turn the key to on. all the lights come up on this honda the engine light comes on and then goes off and you hear the relay click, well during that time you also can hear the fuel pump but i didnt hear it, and my engine light came and stayed on. so i was convinced that it was the F-pump.

on my TA when i check in the morning i flip the swith leat it for 3-5 secs to hear the continuity of the pump a good strong whril means its healty if its sounding weakly consider keeping an eye on it. on replacing the fuel pump i have no clue, but if you are reading this keep in mind let your car I-system run completely dont rush to start your car.

Thread Information