black
    98 z28 m6

Exclamation fuel pump + check guages light...

Sooo im sick of my pos lemon ls1...ahh, now that thats out i can continue to yet another problem-they are never ending. Im really not in the mood to type right now so im making it quick and to the point.

-Fuel pump went bad-car would die on me and then kick on again and studder horribly for about a mile and then it died completely and wouldent start again.
    -Put new fuel pump in and it wont prime and the "check gauges" light is on steady and has been since that day it died.
    -Unhooked the battery for over and hr and hooked it back up with no luck either.
    -Checked to see if power was getting back there and there was.
    My question---wtf is wrong now? If i just hotwire the fuel pump will it work? Any info will help at this point. Thanks in advance.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

is there gas in the tank?

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    is there gas in the tank?
    Lol yeah, dont take me as an idiot...and regardless of that it would still prime if there wasnt, or try to anyway.

black
    98 z28 m6

Also i remember reading of there being a fuse somewhere that goes to the fuel pump...Where is this if there is one?

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it would be in one of the two fuse boxs in the engine bay

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if you have the manual for the car (which you probably dont) there are fuse location diagrams in there

Black
    99 camaro

The fuse has to be good, you said that there is power going to the fuel pump. possible you have a bad pump.

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by camky99 View Post
    The fuse has to be good, you said that there is power going to the fuel pump. possible you have a bad pump.
    I guess you didnt read my entire post lol, its a brand new pump. And i know that the fuse is good but i still want to know where its at.

And to zoso whatever it is...From what i remember reading, its not in any of the 3 fuse boxes. Something tells me behind the glove box but it was a while ago that i read it.

Black
    99 camaro

I have seen bad fuel pumps come right out of the box.

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by camky99 View Post
    I have seen bad fuel pumps come right out of the box.
    They claim to be tested before leaving the factory...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there's a fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. Check that. Also, who did the pump install? Pro or shadetree? Not that it matters too much because it's a pretty straight forward install. I take it you put a multimeter on it back at the harness to check voltage back at the tank? Did you also check the ground back there? It's on the drivers side and plugs into the rear firewall ( I can supply wire colors if you don't have a repair manual). If you're getting voltage to the back of the car and the relay is good then there's really no reason the pump shouldn't kick on. I would then start looking for something back there.
    The check gauges light is kinda tripping me up though. Does your fuel gauge work?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
    They claim to be tested before leaving the factory...
    i wouldnt count on that, we had a truck at work come back 2 times because of the fuel pump. We got 2 bad pumps in a row, third time was a charm. Also check the wiring, and make sure you replace the fuel filter as well

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

can you hear the pump prime when you turn the key to the on position?
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    there's a fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. Check that. Also, who did the pump install? Pro or shadetree? Not that it matters too much because it's a pretty straight forward install. I take it you put a multimeter on it back at the harness to check voltage back at the tank? Did you also check the ground back there? It's on the drivers side and plugs into the rear firewall ( I can supply wire colors if you don't have a repair manual). If you're getting voltage to the back of the car and the relay is good then there's really no reason the pump shouldn't kick on. I would then start looking for something back there.
    The check gauges light is kinda tripping me up though. Does your fuel gauge work?
    I did the install...I put in a 255 a few months back and it was somewhat defective then but i dont have time to screw around with shipping it back and all that so i dealt with it, wasnt a big deal to me. So it took a crap on me and i got sent a brand new 1 sine it was covered under warrenty. Its the exact same hookup as the last 1 so its nothing i could have done wrong. I have school now but right after ill get to finding that fuse and recheck all my connections back there. How high of readings should i be getting? Could i get the colors of the wires and where exactly is the rear firewall? I just have the normal manual. And ive checked the relay before, thats fine. Yes my fuel gauge works. Thanks.

96z28-was that a real question? if its not priming, how would i hear it prime

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Does the Walbro have the venturi pick up like the stocker?
    Did you do the fuel bucket mod?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Fuel bucket mod?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The connector is on the rear firewall which is directly above the rear end on the drivers side. The harness from the fuel pump drops off the tank and plugs into the connector on the firewall. When I was trouble shooting my sender I made a couple of small jumpers that I stripped the ends on so I could use the multimeter on them. I then stuck the jumpers into the slots and plugged the plug in and could test the wires without cutting into anything. Either way, check to make sure you have 12v back there with the key on. The hot to the pump is grey and the ground is black. I'll post a pic showing the connectors but it's right in the middle of my racetronix hotwire install so there's a few more plugs in this pic but it'll give you and idea of where the harness to the pump is and where the connector on the firewall is. The plug your'e interested in is the big one.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

I would check the fuel filter. We had our shop truck do the excact same thing your car is doing. It would not start and when it did it would only stay on for a short time. We changed the fuel filter and everything was working after that.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    I would check the fuel filter. We had our shop truck do the excact same thing your car is doing. It would not start and when it did it would only stay on for a short time. We changed the fuel filter and everything was working after that.
    The problem he's having is the pump isn't even priming. Need to verify it's getting juice back there and if it is then there's a real good chance the pump is bad.

Thread Information