Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fuel Pump

This is a discussion on Fuel Pump within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hmm, that sounds alot like back in the early 90s when they had a high failure rate with ABS units ...

black
    2002 WS6

Hmm, that sounds alot like back in the early 90s when they had a high failure rate with ABS units that were used on the trucks. I think it was reported that it was as high as 50%

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Another thing it could be. Sometimes the terminals in the connector get loose(especially after numerous pump replacements), creating resistance, causing premature pump failure.

Why would you have a "muffler guy" tell you what is wrong with the car, and then have a GM certified guy replace it? You should have the GM guy diagnose, and fix it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Another thing it could be. Sometimes the terminals in the connector get loose(especially after numerous pump replacements), creating resistance, causing premature pump failure.

Why would you have a "muffler guy" tell you what is wrong with the car, and then have a GM certified guy replace it? You should have the GM guy diagnose, and fix it.
    i'm having similar problems and i've replaced my pump and filter. what terminals and connector are you talking about? i'm about to drop my tank next time i got home and try to figure this shit out.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

The muffler guy is highly rated, he works with the my mechanic and his son on their Dragster. He knows the LS1 and isnt just a muffler guy. the GM guy replaced it because they had all the warranty information. I'd take their advice over anyone on this forum because half the shit you guys diagnosed was wrong. i use this as a starting point to diagnose a problem.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    i'm having similar problems and i've replaced my pump and filter. what terminals and connector are you talking about? i'm about to drop my tank next time i got home and try to figure this shit out.
    I'm talking about the terminals in the connector that connects to the fuel tank module. Sometimes the terminals spread out, and don't make a good contact. Also make sure the ground is clean and tight. It's attatched inside the driver's rocker panel, under the plastic trim.

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    The muffler guy is highly rated, he works with the my mechanic and his son on their Dragster. He knows the LS1 and isnt just a muffler guy. the GM guy replaced it because they had all the warranty information. I'd take their advice over anyone on this forum because half the shit you guys diagnosed was wrong. i use this as a starting point to diagnose a problem.
    It sounds like you've been listening to the wrong people. Don't blame me for that. You need to ignore tips from people that speculate and think they know what their talking about. I am not one of them.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

I've been an ASE tech for ten years, I'm very confident with what I know. Check post #6. Very simple and almost always over looked. I am merely giving you suggestions. It's damn near impossible to diagnose an automotive issue over the internet. There is a lot of ridiculous shit typed on these boards that is pure bull shit but these people are trying to help with a problem that you asked about. If you are taking there advise(Muffler guy) that's fine but the problem is not being resolved apparently and you are turning to a members board for help so you may have to put up with the shit in between.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

All im saying is becuase someone owns a muffler shop doesnt mean thats all they know. The problem has been resolved it was the fuel pump. the car runs great now. I dont have the time to keep coming back here to argue so lets just let bygones be bygones.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I'm talking about the terminals in the connector that connects to the fuel tank module. Sometimes the terminals spread out, and don't make a good contact. Also make sure the ground is clean and tight. It's attatched inside the driver's rocker panel, under the plastic trim.
    thanks for the advice and the awesome pic!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

All im saying is becuase someone owns a muffler shop doesnt mean thats all they know. The problem has been resolved it was the fuel pump. the car runs great now. I dont have the time to keep coming back here to argue so lets just let bygones be bygones.
    I agree, hope it stays running, good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information