Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump

silver
    1998 Z28

fuel pump

how big of a pain in the ass is it goin to be to install a new fuel pump in a 98 z28?

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Depends, are you willing to cut an access panel in the trunk of your car? If so, then its an hour at the most deal, but if not it is a major PITA especially the 98's.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i cut the hole and it was pretty easy from there.........

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...89#post1910789

here are some pics from another guy

I'm not a hack,,,so cutting the floor is simply not an option for me. Besides it's not like you are going to be in there every week for a pump change.

Do it right the first time and lower the rearend and drop the tank. It's really not that bad. I've done a few for myself and others, 2-3 hours and it's finished. Once finished you have a piece of mind knowing your floor is still in one piece. When looking for 4th gens I'd pass on the cars with hacked floors, just told me of the type of mechanic the person was and made me wonder what other corners were cut on repairs....know what I mean???

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm not a hack,,,so cutting the floor is simply not an option for me. Besides it's not like you are going to be in there every week for a pump change.

Do it right the first time and lower the rearend and drop the tank. It's really not that bad. I've done a few for myself and others, 2-3 hours and it's finished. Once finished you have a piece of mind knowing your floor is still in one piece. When looking for 4th gens I'd pass on the cars with hacked floors, just told me of the type of mechanic the person was and made me wonder what other corners were cut on repairs....know what I mean???
    are you saying im a hack? is that how its gunna be? huh? i did the trap door to make it easier in case the pump ever goes out. now lets say you put in that new pump and for some reason it doesnt work, now its another 3 hours labor. Also how (unless i told you) would you ever know my trunk had been cut? it looks and feels normal with the sheet of alum i put back in there. I think that it is just another thing GM did so they could charge the $1000 labor to do it. now cutting a hole in the floor to bleed the clutch, i think thats being a little lazy. now on the other hand if you are trying to keep the car "all original", "cherry", or "perfect" then thats just fine. i totally understand that. just my thoughts
    Last edited by Dr.Crash; 05-05-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Done correctly...a couple hours.

And since the car is 11 years old, I would do it correctly and drop the tank. Allows you to clean it up inside as well as install new pump.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    are you saying im a hack? is that how its gunna be? huh? i did the trap door to make it easier in case the pump ever goes out. now lets say you put in that new pump and for some reason it doesnt work, now its another 3 hours labor. Also how (unless i told you) would you ever know my trunk had been cut? it looks and feels normal with the sheet of alum i put back in there. I think that it is just another thing GM did so they could charge the $1000 labor to do it. now cutting a hole in the floor to bleed the clutch, i think thats being a little lazy. now on the other hand if you are trying to keep the car "all original", "cherry", or "perfect" then thats just fine. i totally understand that. just my thoughts
    Sure sounds that way doesn't it??? Naaa, I'm just particular in how I do things. When I was looking at 4th gens to buy, and I didn't feel the owner was honest I would ask to pull the carpet up back there. Only takes a minute. If the owner wasn't willing to let me look I would simply pass on the car. Most people though were pretty straight up and would tell you if they installed a pump and how they did it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Sure sounds that way doesn't it??? Naaa, I'm just particular in how I do things. When I was looking at 4th gens to buy, and I didn't feel the owner was honest I would ask to pull the carpet up back there. Only takes a minute. If the owner wasn't willing to let me look I would simply pass on the car. Most people though were pretty straight up and would tell you if they installed a pump and how they did it.
    I %100 understand your views. And if i was selling i would be totally honest with th prespective buyer. since i never plan on selling i should be ok

I %100 understand your views. And if i was selling i would be totally honest with th prespective buyer. since i never plan on selling i should be ok
    Ya I'm sure if you sold you would be just fine anyway. I'm one of the rare few that even care.
    Most people couldn't care less.

I wouldn't sell either though, after all that work for a new engine. I'd be getting some enjoyment out of that in the form of driving it

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Ya I'm sure if you sold you would be just fine anyway. I'm one of the rare few that even care.
    Most people couldn't care less.

I wouldn't sell either though, after all that work for a new engine. I'd be getting some enjoyment out of that in the form of driving it
    oh i am enjoying it. the sad part is im already think of my next MOD

oh i am enjoying it. the sad part is im already think of my next MOD
    What haven't you done already???

Stock
    2002 Camaro

What haven't you done already???
    Well im gunna need a 9" and i was looking at this

i think i would be happy ater that.......... i think

It's never enough is it???

OMG!!! are you still running the stock 10 bolt in that thing???

Stock
    2002 Camaro

yup lol for now hahahahaha

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

You would have the baddest SS ever with that twin turbo set up! Fuck it....take out a loan and do it!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by BADASS2000SS View Post
    You would have the baddest SS ever with that twin turbo set up! Fuck it....take out a loan and do it!
    well once i get a real job i will

silver
    1998 Z28

thanks guys for all your help!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll go out on the limb and say people that cut the hole in the hatch are HACKS. I'd even go as far as saying they're LAZY HACKS. Why not take a sawzall and cut the rear portion out of the passenger side fender and cut the ac stuff out of there so you can change the #8 plug easier......you'll do it more than you'll do the fuel pump and changing the #8 plug is about the same amount of work as a fuel pump.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'll go out on the limb and say people that cut the hole in the hatch are HACKS. I'd even go as far as saying they're LAZY HACKS. Why not take a sawzall and cut the rear portion out of the passenger side fender and cut the ac stuff out of there so you can change the #8 plug easier......you'll do it more than you'll do the fuel pump and changing the #8 plug is about the same amount of work as a fuel pump.
    I guess I'm a lazy hack i'm all for doing things right, but its nice to have some insurance. and the #8 plug takes me about 5mins, so no need to cut .

Thread Information