Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Arrow Fuel Pressure Very Important

I made a few posts recently about my 98 m6 camaro not starting. It would if you pop-start it. Then the discussions centered around VATS and stuff. I talked to my local Chevy dealer and he said to check fuel pressure. Should be 55-60 psi at the rail. I couldn't find a gauge to fit my car so I went home and tried to start it with starting fluid. It popped at first then died. Hmmmmmm....... I thought. I went to the back seat and grabbed the new fuel filter(the only thing I haven not tried) and changed it. Well after turning the key on and off a few times times to prime the car it fired right up! To be sure I shut it off and restarted it 3 or 4 times. Then I came back and it wouldn't start! So I sprayed starting fluid in it and it started immediately. I'm guessing the pump is dying too. It did restart a few more times before I went inside to eat. What are you guys' thoughts? Should I check pressure and if it's low install new pump? That would have to be my gremlin right? ANY THOUGHTS, THANKS

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

check the pump,it is really easy to get a line made up with a gauge that will screw on the fuel rail
    i would make it like 2 feet long so you can watch it while driving also

and man i would never spray starting fluid in my car

Metalic Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28/SS

Well, I think its goes like this...

Fuel pumps can be a bit $$ and tend to be a pain in the to install. Start by spending a few bucks to ensure your going after the right part as it will save you a headache later.

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

first off just out of curiosity what grade of gas are you using... Second is your ses light on? Do you have any enemies I remember when I was in highschool ( way back when) to be an ass to people who pissed me and my buds off we would put marbles in the gas tank this woul allow the car to run for awhile then the car would cut out when the marble plugged the fuel pump but when the car was shut off the marble would move and allow the car to run for awhile I dont think this is possible with newer cars though

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

87 octane all the way. Manual says it's o k "Vehicle may not accelerate as well" My buddy ran 87 in his formula with no issues. SES is on cuz some dipsh*t decided to yank egr system off the car. It runs fine otherwise.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Whats the deal with starting fluid? It is in no way worse than LAUGHING GAS which the guy before me thought was a good idea. My buddy at Corvette Country in ATL says if he gets a motor thats been juiced it goes straight to the core pile. NOS will lean out a motor if not done right and crack heads and pistons and crap like that. I aint against it but good ole ether is harmless. Besides, should i spray gas in the manifold?

Black
    98 Camaro

Lol...ether harmless? I'm not really to sure about that. And also..its referred to as nitrous..not NOS. NOS is mostly a ricer term, and also a brand of nitrous accessories.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    87 octane all the way. Manual says it's o k "Vehicle may not accelerate as well" My buddy ran 87 in his formula with no issues. SES is on cuz some dipsh*t decided to yank egr system off the car. It runs fine otherwise.
    Whats the deal with starting fluid? It is in no way worse than LAUGHING GAS which the guy before me thought was a good idea. My buddy at Corvette Country in ATL says if he gets a motor thats been juiced it goes straight to the core pile. NOS will lean out a motor if not done right and crack heads and pistons and crap like that. I aint against it but good ole ether is harmless. Besides, should i spray gas in the manifold?
    you're saying N02 is more harmfull than running lower octane and getting possible detonation???

spraying starter fluid in to a fuel injected car isn't a good idea... depending on where you're spraying it you're going to fuck up your sensors... if you took off the MAF and are spraying right in to the throttle body you just fucked up your airflow readings from air not passing over the MAF...

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Wow... holy uninformed post FTW!

-Eagle

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post

-Eagle
    beat ya to it!!!

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    beat ya to it!!!
    ROFLCAKES!

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

I'm not a ricer by any means. I know nitrous oxide is the proper term. I was saving time. I joined this forum for help and to meet fellow f-body owners, not to be ridiculed. I have not experienced any detonation from the 87 and I do not know how else to start this car with out the ether. I can't believe a few sprays is detrimental to a few sensors. I sprayed directly into the throttle body with the motor off. Then turned the key. Dude at dealership suggested it. My aluminum headed LT1 in my roadmaster is running around 10.5:1 and 87 is fine bc of the LT1's reverse-flow cooling system. My car (buick)does not ping and with my other mods like the intake and hooker headers and cat-back exh it runs like a raped ape! I am only seeking helpful advice here people. So help me out. I am not dogging the juice but the prior owner did such a crude job installing it like holes in the lower dash and crap so I doubt he had a "proper" system installed and possibly has done irreparable damage since the car gurgles like it's over heating when you shut it off. Cracked head? Possible culprit of N02??????? I have no idea. I just want to get it running. Thanks for the insults......

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Nitrogen Dioxide FTW! (again, N2O or Nitrous Oxide is the "NOS" you keep trying to refer to)

Get a rental fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and see what the fuel pressure is at the rails. Some have problems with the stock regulator going south on them too. Go from there. GL & HF.

-Eagle

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Finally! A respectful reply. Thank you sir. I am NOT a chemist so forgive if I have insulted the real ones out there. I actually hate the term "NOS" it sounds so retarded. BTW. I have seen a WS6 like yours here except this one has chrome ZO6 rims on it. And I saw it tonight creep over the train tracks and it was squeaking badly. Looks lowered and I was wondering if the polyurethane suspension bits make it that way. It also sounds like it has true duals on it. FREAKING SWEET SOUNDING MAN!!!!! Is the regulator that can looking thing on the driver side rail, kinda like a small vacuum advance or older egr valve. Thanks again for not making me look like a complete tool. I have some skills. Just new to the f-body and LS1. Peace, homie.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

F-bodies FPR is located in the gas tank unfortunately...

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would definately invest in a fuel pressure gauge. they're relatively cheap and it's a good investment. Octane has nothing to do with no starts. For all you know, you have have a clogged injector or you're flooding the engine with starting fluid. You won't be able to do very much at all though without a FP gauge or an electrical meter like a DMM. With the DMM you can check to make sure your FP is running well by checking the amperage. By disconnecting the FP fuse and sticking the leads to the terminals, set the DMM to Amps and crank the engine and see what the draw is. It should be about 3 - 6 amps modulating. If it is excessively high then the pump is seized. If the amperage is not consistent, that would be an indication that it's going out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 98camaro View Post
    Lol...ether harmless? I'm not really to sure about that. And also..its referred to as nitrous..not NOS. NOS is mostly a ricer term, and also a brand of nitrous accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    you're saying N02 is more harmfull than running lower octane and getting possible detonation???

spraying starter fluid in to a fuel injected car isn't a good idea... depending on where you're spraying it you're going to fuck up your sensors... if you took off the MAF and are spraying right in to the throttle body you just fucked up your airflow readings from air not passing over the MAF...

-Eagle
    ROFLCAKES!

come on guys, go easy on him. How much did you guys know at 20 posts?

Ken, will running 87 kill the car? Probably not but it's designed to run on higher octane fuel. I also don't see a real big issue with hitting it with a little starter fluid as long as you just used it to test. I wouldn't continue using it though. I've tested a bunch of cars by doing that, I just don't make a habit of it. Not sure what parts stores you have in your area but pretty much every parts store I've ever been in has fuel pressure gauges with different connectors and they're usually ~$20. Great investment. I would definitely put a gauge on there and see what kinda fuel pressure you have and if it's holding pressure.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

get a gage and check it if it is bad dont waset the time and cash and get a factory pump if you get one from your local parts store you will have to do it agen real sone good luck with it

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    come on guys, go easy on him. How much did you guys know at 20 posts?
    i know every thing...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

maybe he should have his starter checked out... it's probably not even fuel related...

Thread Information