Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

fuel pressure regulator fail

so i put in my new fuel pump & regulator on thursday and the regulator isn't working

it SUCKED dropping the rear end in class because i didn't have enough time (didn't leave school til 1am), can't leave my car at school, don't have a lift at home, blah blah ... if any of you have cut the body and made a door to access the fuel pump easier, how did you do it? i plan on doing it tonight but i want to do it as safe as possible. ideas?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Do you have fuel pressure at the rail? Check that before you dig into the fuel tank. The regulator is located next to the fuel rail on the drivers side. Also make sure your fuel pump fuse (located under the hood) is good.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Do you have fuel pressure at the rail? Check that before you dig into the fuel tank. The regulator is located next to the fuel rail on the drivers side. Also make sure your fuel pump fuse (located under the hood) is good.
    i have 30psi, still. the regulator on the '98 is on the pump housing. everything on the '98 is all weird ... basically, you know how it is a return system, the regulator is basically taking some of the fuel to the rails and the other half back into the tank, it's almost like an internal leak, i don't know what it thinks it's doing. i'll check the fuses tonight, didn't think of that.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tep98ws6 View Post
    i have 30psi, still. the regulator on the '98 is on the pump housing. everything on the '98 is all weird ... basically, you know how it is a return system, the regulator is basically taking some of the fuel to the rails and the other half back into the tank, it's almost like an internal leak, i don't know what it thinks it's doing. i'll check the fuses tonight, didn't think of that.
    Well shoot....I've never worked on a '98. Didn't think the regulator would be in a different location.

I'm not a fan of cutting the back to access the fuel tank. But here's a link I found from a search. I didn't read through it but the page gives you the jist of things. The biggest thing, to me, is to seal up the access door real well so you don't get gas fumes in the drivers compartment. Use some good chemical sealant when you put it back together.

Link: http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Well shoot....I've never worked on a '98. Didn't think the regulator would be in a different location.

I'm not a fan of cutting the back to access the fuel tank. But here's a link I found from a search. I didn't read through it but the page gives you the jist of things. The biggest thing, to me, is to seal up the access door real well so you don't get gas fumes in the drivers compartment. Use some good chemical sealant when you put it back together.

Link: http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
    thanks a ton
    that's what i'm worried about ... getting knocked out by my cut out while driving, haha. i'm not a fan of it either but if it can be done in a legit way, i'm gonna try it.
    the '98s have all weird crap going on with them. all the fuel components are on that monstrosity in the tank. i think that may be that super loud noise i'm hearing when it primes. i now i have a random misfire too so i may or may not have fouled off a plug or two, another job i'm not a fan of (but is anyone really?)

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

thanks a ton
    that's what i'm worried about ... getting knocked out by my cut out while driving, haha. i'm not a fan of it either but if it can be done in a legit way, i'm gonna try it.
    the '98s have all weird crap going on with them. all the fuel components are on that monstrosity in the tank. i think that may be that super loud noise i'm hearing when it primes. i now i have a random misfire too so i may or may not have fouled off a plug or two, another job i'm not a fan of (but is anyone really?)
    yea welcome to the lovely world of the 98s i am actually looking forward to upgrading my fuel system..but with yours ..you have a issue that you are trying to isolate so not as fun

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yea welcome to the lovely world of the 98s i am actually looking forward to upgrading my fuel system..but with yours ..you have a issue that you are trying to isolate so not as fun
    yeaaaah. it sucks buying defective parts

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i found a good write up, have all the things to do it here, i'll have pictures either late tonight or tomorrow.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

FIXED IT. and didn't even have to drop the tank or cut a hole

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

FIXED IT. and didn't even have to drop the tank or cut a hole
    Good news!!!

So what was the culprit?

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i discovered this wonderful thing called a fuel filter with an external regulator... had to do a little fabrication to make it fit but it did the trick and then i was misfiring real bad and found i had a slice in my #3 wire so i swapped it out and i still need to check two other very small misfires but it's running 98% better and its great. STARTS ON THE FIRST CRANK TOO, which its never done for me. tonight i'm checking out #4 & #6 plugs/wires and cleaning up the throttle body and i should be set.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i discovered this wonderful thing called a fuel filter with an external regulator... had to do a little fabrication to make it fit but it did the trick and then i was misfiring real bad and found i had a slice in my #3 wire so i swapped it out and i still need to check two other very small misfires but it's running 98% better and its great. STARTS ON THE FIRST CRANK TOO, which its never done for me. tonight i'm checking out #4 & #6 plugs/wires and cleaning up the throttle body and i should be set.
    well done

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Sweet!!! Glad you found a way to put a regulator on the fuel filter. Ingenious!! Yeah...maybe a good time to swap out all plugs and wires. Does it have long tubes? PITA to do plugs.

Glad to hear she's running 98% better. Good luck on getting that last 2%!!!

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Sweet!!! Glad you found a way to put a regulator on the fuel filter. Ingenious!! Yeah...maybe a good time to swap out all plugs and wires. Does it have long tubes? PITA to do plugs.

Glad to hear she's running 98% better. Good luck on getting that last 2%!!!
    not yet... in a month or two i will be getting headers. my plugs were hell but it could have been worse if it was sitting hot. ac delco sells a filter/regulator and it's like $53, but still not too bad for a good fix

too bad it poured today and i couldn't enjoy how good it feels to have a fully running car

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

not yet... in a month or two i will be getting headers. my plugs were hell but it could have been worse if it was sitting hot. ac delco sells a filter/regulator and it's like $53, but still not too bad for a good fix

too bad it poured today and i couldn't enjoy how good it feels to have a fully running car
    Yeah that's a good trick with the ac delco filter/regulator.

Change your plugs and wires now before you put long tubes on. Long tubes will be right in the effin way of each plug. Although you probably have smaller hands than most guys and won't be as difficult. shady milkman is the only one able to change plugs easily...he's effeminate.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

Yeah that's a good trick with the ac delco filter/regulator.

Change your plugs and wires now before you put long tubes on. Long tubes will be right in the effin way of each plug. Although you probably have smaller hands than most guys and won't be as difficult. shady milkman is the only one able to change plugs easily...he's effeminate.
    i have big hands for a girl. super skinny but im just structured big i guess so it is still a PITA i hate doing plugs. next time i have to do them, i think i'm just going to drop the engine,

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

next time i have to do them, i think i'm just going to drop the engine,
    I'm with ya sister!!! I said the same thing the last time I changed my plugs.

Oh...and you're scaring me with mention that you have "man-hands".

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

I'm with ya sister!!! I said the same thing the last time I changed my plugs.

Oh...and you're scaring me with mention that you have "man-hands".
    i dont have man hands, haha. they're just not super tiny. i may work on cars for a living but seriously, i still have hot pink fingernails

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

i dont have man hands, haha. they're just not super tiny. i may work on cars for a living but seriously, i still have hot pink fingernails
    PM me some pics of your digits for verification.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I did mine back in like July, took 3 hrs the hard way and NO cutting and no lift.. It's not as hard as it seems. Especially if you've done a few on puller cars..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Thread Information