black
    2002 camaro z28

Fuel injector cleaning

I have a 2002 z28 A4-with 70K. I just had new plugs and wires put on and I cleaned the maf and throttle body.I also have a new KN and fuel filter installed and the fuel pressure checks out even under load. I sometimes notice that my car will pull harder and less from time to time. I just had a borla cat back installed but have had this problem before the install. of course now it seem a little faster but still pulls harder some times than other times .
    I was told to put some gum out in the fuel and it should take care of my problem. Has anyone had this problem before. Ive had the dealership replace my o2 sensors upstream of the cat after the codes showed up. but I think that one of them may be clooged thay say that their working find but I have my doubts. any info is appreciated

thanks

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

I run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through all my cars about once a year or if it seems to not be running right. Put it in at the next fill up.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Chevron Techron -- add to an almost empty tank, pump in around 12 gallons of gas (total), and drive it.

black
    1999 trans am

Oh yes Techron by chevron the very best ! I always use the larger bottle for 20 gal tank ! If you are having problems follow it up with back to back bottles the very next tank should notice a differance !!!

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i've been using lucus fuel injector cleaner and been very happy with it

black
    2002 camaro z28

I have lucus in it right now and will put the other bottle in right after in a new tank. I bought 2 different bottles if gum out also. If I use these over a long period of time will damage anything, Also should i use seafoam i've heard that it's also good to use. I' thinking about having the injectors proffesionaly cleaned by the dealer. I heard the hook up to them and clan them directly.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 2002blackz28 View Post
    I have lucus in it right now and will put the other bottle in right after in a new tank. I bought 2 different bottles if gum out also. If I use these over a long period of time will damage anything, Also should i use seafoam i've heard that it's also good to use. I' thinking about having the injectors proffesionaly cleaned by the dealer. I heard the hook up to them and clan them directly.

Seafoam can be a little harsh as it is a solvent -- check out the info posted by Sarge (search "Seafoam" - I'd find it for you but have dinner on the grill). AutoRx is the recommended stuff.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

^^AutoRX is used for the internal cleaning of the engine. The guy was talking about using SeaFoam in the oil when he(Sarge) made that post.
    SeaFoam in the fuel cleans the fuel system.
    Last edited by rbob93; 06-30-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002blackz28 View Post
    Never tried the dealer. When I had my Iroc I sent the injectors out to TPI in Arizona. (funny I live here now) but at the time I lived in Ohio.
    Simply because they not only clean them but they are flow tested on the bench to assure they are all equal, and if anything out of the ordinary is wrong, they are replaced.
    I'm sure there are other places that provide this service as well. TPI was recommended to me by an NHRA stock eliminator racing friend of mine that was running one at the time.

As far as regular maintainance I use the lucas fuel treatment about every 5-6 fillups or so. Not only a cleaner but also a lubricant,,,great for that in-tank fuel pump. I use this stuff on my carbed cars as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    ^^AutoRX is used for the internal cleaning of the engine. The guy was talking about using SeaFoam in the oil when he(Sarge) made that post.
    SeaFoam in the fuel cleans the fuel system.

It's been a long day... but I could have swore Sarge mentioned putting something like 1/3 of a can in his fuel tank. I'll see if I can find what I was thinking of.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected -- what I was remembering is Post #569 in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

I took the "4 oz. maintenance dose" to be added to the fuel tank as that is what you do with the TC-W3. Now I understand that the Auto-Rx maintenance dose is added to the oil. My apologies for not verifying this before posting.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 06-30-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Correction

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Glad you typed back.....I was looking for this very thread! Thanks!

black
    2002 camaro z28

well i just spent $80.00 at the oil change place. They told me it was a 3 step process. They gave me a bottle of injector cleaner, Spray cleaned my throttle body and mass air sensor and finally hooked up a drip cleaner that entered threw a vacuem line as i ran the engine . I noticed alot of carbon being flushed threw the exhaust and the said it was cleaning the intake. It threw a engine misfire code which they reset due to the cleaning, causing random misfire. After leaving the place its back to normal seems that it helped but due to the rain in my area {michigan weather} I can't really get on it and see how much it worked due to spinning the tires. I have noticed that throttle responce is better. Hopefully when if it dries up soon Iwill have the full power back and the torque that i miss. I'm thinking about going after market cat's soon. Has anyone just deleated the cats and ran straight pipes. I know that I would need O2 sensor sim's or delete them from the engine light codes. I have a stock car besides borla cat back exhaust .I also have stock manifold and cats on right now but think that one or both cats may be cloged or restricting performance.I found some cat's in the summit magazine today but not sure if there the ones i need.If any one could help me out with the cat replacement or links please do.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The oil change place basically did an engine decarbon treatment. There are real Fuel Injector Cleaning Services out there. I work at a GM dealer and we have a canister that we fill with gas and a high concentration of a detergent cleaner. We then disable the fuel pump, hook up the canister to the fuel rail pressure port, pressurize the canister to about 30 psi and run the engine off the canister only.
    I have personally had the service clear up dirty injector misfires many times. Most of the time though we do it a preventative maintenance.

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Hey im having the same problem..... check out my post, maybe the same thing going on.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...20#post1979920

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Did your car die at stop lights? Mine died every once i while during coast at stop lights, no matter how much gas I gave it it just died.

black
    2002 camaro z28

my car runs and idles fine but a few weeks ago i noticed a little bit of power loss. it just seems like I can't feel the torque as it pulls threw first and goes into second . 2002 z28 a4. 70,000 miles. what else could cause this sudden loss of power. I changed all filters and plugs wires.I just ordered high flow cats. I think the old ones may be a little clogged. but no engine codes. a few weeks ago a had to replace bank 2 nuber 1 o2 sensor and it hasn't been the same since then. It also seem from a stop and as i slowly go WOT I can get faster harder acceleration than just hammering it from a stop,could it be my TPS going out. all comments are gladly welcomed

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The oil change place basically did an engine decarbon treatment. There are real Fuel Injector Cleaning Services out there. I work at a GM dealer and we have a canister that we fill with gas and a high concentration of a detergent cleaner. We then disable the fuel pump, hook up the canister to the fuel rail pressure port, pressurize the canister to about 30 psi and run the engine off the canister only.
    I have personally had the service clear up dirty injector misfires many times. Most of the time though we do it a preventative maintenance.
    Yah, like the 3.1. I have a Motor Vac machine at my shop. I personal tried fuel tank additives of all kinds and would not do anything else but a direct fuel rail flush. Night and day difference.

black
    2002 camaro z28

Smile

Ok. I will have yhis done at the dealer friday. I will be back with the results. Maybe I will take a video of me going 0 to 100 and post it so everyone can rip on my slow car and tell what they think for a stock '02 z28 with 70,000 miles

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS

Have you checked for leaks? vaccum and injectors

Thread Information