Black
    1999 Camaro SS

Fuel Gauge stuck on super full

So a few years back the fuel pressure sending unit went out and my fuel gauge was stuck on half full or something.

Well whenever it gets cold outside and i start my car all the gauges reset, like sweep down to the left then back to the right. Except my fuel gauge swept all the way to the right, like an inch to the right of the F. Now it is perm stuck, any suggestions on how to fix this? I doubt it is the fuel pressure sending unit again, i think it is just physically stuck. Should i find someway to get the dash panel off and manually mess with it? Thanks.

red
    99 camaro

I had both problems. First replace the battery. Id venture to say its probably going bad even if the car is still starting ok. Second use your fist to bump semi-lightly on the clear plastic cover over the guages till the needle becomes unstuck. Should take one or two taps. Hope this helps. Its the battery causing this BTW...

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

It could be a couple of things...the first thing I would do to verify it's in the gauge is to ohm out the sender coming out of the tank. On the drivers side just above the rear axle is where the connector is found. Ohm out the 2 purple wires as those are your sender wires. These cars ohm a little differently than the old GM 0-90 stuff. On these 40ohms is empty and 259 ohms is full. If it pegs out and you know the tank ain't full then it's the sender which *might* be able to be fixed with some fuel system cleaner. If it ohms out fine there I would then ohm it out at the pcm. If it's fine all the way to the pcm then most likely it's in the serial data cable or gauge itself.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i had this problem when power steering fluid was leaking on my alternator. check that to start as well as for corrosion on the battery terminals...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    I had both problems. First replace the battery. Id venture to say its probably going bad even if the car is still starting ok. Second use your fist to bump semi-lightly on the clear plastic cover over the guages till the needle becomes unstuck. Should take one or two taps. Hope this helps. Its the battery causing this BTW...
    x2 on that, I have never had those problems, however extreeme heat or cold will kill a battery quickly.

SteveC

Thread Information