Fuel Gauge Broken?

This is a discussion on Fuel Gauge Broken? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My fuel gauge on my ford taurus (all lol's aside) is all kinds of messed up...Whenever I start it up, ...

Fuel Gauge Broken?

My fuel gauge on my ford taurus (all lol's aside) is all kinds of messed up...Whenever I start it up, the level goes to its correct spot, and then while I drive, it drops back down to either Empty or a random point on the gauge...Gets really annoying, because I'll go to fill my tank because it says empty and I'll fill it with two gallons

Any help?

The real reason I ask, is because my mechanic buddy said that the sensor reacts strangely with certain fuels...I am a manager at a grocery store and the store gives us a huge discount on their gas, like a dollar off per gallon its great.

But what sucks is that this gas is one of the fuels that he said I shouldn't use...Fack. I haven't had it happen with my other car yet, but he said it has happened to cars other than fords, too....Freakin weird. What's in the gas that throws of the float?

I want my dollar off haha

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The sulfer content in fuel sometimes causes gauge issues -- however, it could also be a bad sender, or corroded wiring. Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner is recommended as a possible remedy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it could be a few things and the type of gas would be all the way at the bottom of the list as far as suspects. I'm not sure on the Ford's so I could be completely off base but I would assume they work the same or very similar to the GM's. The way the sender works is there's a float that floats in the gas and on the end is an arm that goes up and down a resistor changing the resistance which is then sent to the gauge or pcm and that resistance is translated to the gas gauge reading. I've seen that resistor have build up on it that causes off or bad readings and I've seen floats that leak which cause them to sink lower and give bad readings.
    The first thing I would do is make a jumper on your sender wires coming out of the tank and check your resistance from the sender to see if it's correlating with what the gauge says or how much gas you actually have in the tank. Not sure what ohm range the Ford's work on so you'd have to look that up. That should tell you if it's in the tank or from the tank forward. Next step would probably be to pull that tank and check that sender out. You could also try some fuel system cleaner in it to clean that resistor and that's been known to help people in the past.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it could be a few things and the type of gas would be all the way at the bottom of the list as far as suspects. I'm not sure on the Ford's so I could be completely off base but I would assume they work the same or very similar to the GM's. The way the sender works is there's a float that floats in the gas and on the end is an arm that goes up and down a resistor changing the resistance which is then sent to the gauge or pcm and that resistance is translated to the gas gauge reading. I've seen that resistor have build up on it that causes off or bad readings and I've seen floats that leak which cause them to sink lower and give bad readings.
    The first thing I would do is make a jumper on your sender wires coming out of the tank and check your resistance from the sender to see if it's correlating with what the gauge says or how much gas you actually have in the tank. Not sure what ohm range the Ford's work on so you'd have to look that up. That should tell you if it's in the tank or from the tank forward. Next step would probably be to pull that tank and check that sender out. You could also try some fuel system cleaner in it to clean that resistor and that's been known to help people in the past.
    This..... Year/ Milage?

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    This..... Year/ Milage?
    '05, its got almost exactly 40k on it.

It jumps between being right on where it's supposed to be, and then it shoots straight to empty

black
    2002 WS6

sounds like bad wiring to me, possible bad a or broken ground.

Thread Information