Frustrated NEED Help

This is a discussion on Frustrated NEED Help within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok, not sure if you read how this started so Ill go over it from the begining. I had my ...

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Frustrated NEED Help

Ok, not sure if you read how this started so Ill go over it from the begining. I had my computer tuned by PCM for less. Soon after it started acting like it was running out of gas a block after I started driving the car. It would clear up and go away. It did this now and then. I changed the fuel filter, and then put a Granatelli racing fuel pump in. The car did it again. I also noticed pinging at WOT. I contacted the guy I got the computer from. He said to clean the MAF and check for vacuum leaks. I cleaned the MAF with MMM MAF Cleaner, and sprayed carb cleaner around the engine and found no leaks. It seemed to run good for two days, but I couldnt check WOT because it had been raining. On the third day, ten minutes from my house, the car started missing and carrying on, barely running like it was on 4 cylinders. Did this for a couple minutes and just as it cleared up the engine light came on. I drove it the a nearby autozone and read the code as O2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1. The next day I drove it and it ran fine. On monday I took it to work, and cleared the code out. As I was leaving the parking lot it did the running out of gas thing again as I tried to cross a busy street. I coasted to the other side, it stalled, started it again and ran fine. I went back to work and hooked up a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail, up to the window. It shows 60 lbs of pressure solid. Drove it ALL DAY and it didnt act up. Once it did stumble for about two seconds but the fuel pressure didnt drop. Late in the day the gauge started leaking so I disconnected it. Immediattly after pulling out it did the running out of gas thing again. Then it did this 4 more times(after the guage was off). Not throwing any code. Whats my next step? Any ideas?

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

could be alot of things but here are my top three educated guesses

1 TPS (throttle position sensor) could be going bad
    2 Fuel Pressure Regulator (check for pressure in between the regulator and the filter) Normal fuel pressure should be about 47psi
    3 Bad Cooling System (check for pressure, Makeshure your antifreeze is in good shape and that there is no air in your system, although your gauge might show proper operating temperature, but if you system has a Hot Pocket *yummy* it could be harmfull)

Anyone in your area with a laptop program that can go for a spin and watch things while you drive???? Maybe do a little logging and post up a logfile here for someone like Frost to look at. I am sure with a log file the problem could be narrowed down and repaired rather quickly instead of sitting here guessing.

Running as bad as you say it should be setting a code. Although you only mentioned a code for the 02 sensor on Bank 2 sensor 1. You cleared it though,,,,has it come back????

If the 02 sensors have 50,000 miles on them or more then it's time for replacement anyway codes or not,,,,I would do both sides just for maintainance purposes. Otherwise I'm not really sure anyone can give you a positive direction to go without a log of the car.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you remember the actual code number for the O2? Sensor 1 is the front sensor on the passenger side which controls fueling. If you have a bad O2 this could easily be your problem. Really need to know the code though. Exhaust tips have any extra soot in them?

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

PO152 I believe the code was

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Update

Ok, this morning it threw the o2 code and a code p1416. Something with the AIR system. I changed both front O2 sensors and the fuel cap. Later in the day it fell flat on its face again just as I pulled out of a parking spot. Took about 30 seconds before the car would go. NEXT????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Sounds like your passenger side check valve is clogged up or that pipe is restricted. The check valve is the valve that sits on top of the exhaust manifold on that side. ~$20 at NAPA I think.

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Another Update

We hooked the car up to a snap on diagnostic reader. Saw TPS showed .72% before it and 0 after it. The odd one I saw was MAF, it showed NO READING. I even reved it up and nothing.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

check and clean the wires to the MAF

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Update Omg Omg Omg Omg

Well Bryan at PCM for less was going to send me a computer to try to make sure it wasnt a computer problem. He asked me to double check the MAF wires first, and then pull the plugs out of the computer and make sure there were no bent pins. I did this. There were not any bent pins, THERE WAS A BROKEN PIN. It was broken off in the plug. I pulled it out, reassembled it, and it threw a MAF code. THERE WAS THE PROBLEM! fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel cap, and two o2 sensors later and it was a broken pin on the computer. I post when I get the computer replaced and let you know if everything is alright.

Thread Information