Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Front windshield fogging

This is my problem. My 98 TA front windshield fogs up badly when I start it. This problem occurs at night time and early morning more often. I have the car for 6 months now and this problem just started. I can see that it is hot air blowing because you can see the air flow fogging pattern. I put my hand over the heater vent on the dash but I don't feel any airflow. This happens in all the settings for my A/C knob. I end up switching to the defrost setting with cold air to clear it up. I don't smell any antifreeze so I'm not sure if the heater core might be leaking. But it just happens even when the engine is cool enough after being run and I don't think the antifreeze will be that hot yet to cause steaming. Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Turn it to the off position

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Might have a vent door issue going on if everythings in the off position. Do all of your vent settings work properly? Turn it on high and switch between the settings and make sure the air flows correctly. I guess it could also just be a humidity issue too. Any other florida guys run into this?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Might have a vent door issue going on if everythings in the off position. Do all of your vent settings work properly? Turn it on high and switch between the settings and make sure the air flows correctly. I guess it could also just be a humidity issue too. Any other florida guys run into this?
    Yes.....since my car was new.
    Unless the switch is in the off position, you will get a fogging on the windshield due to the humidity & warmth of the engine.
    I always thought it was because the vents are open & allows outside air to come from the defrost vents. I could be way wrong on that though.
    I've just learned to live with it & turn the defrost on at a warm temp untill things even out.
    It's a real pain at the track though cuz if you run the defroster it will be like having the Ac on & condesation will drip on the track.
    They don't go for that shit

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Rain-X Interior will help cure that.. I had the same issue.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the replies. It does happens in off position and it is a pain @$# at the track it fogs so bad when I take off. All of the vents seem to be wrking properly since I feel airflow at the right places. I'll try some of the interior rain X...

Thread Information