Front Passenger side Wheel squeek?

This is a discussion on Front Passenger side Wheel squeek? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was wondering what could cause the front passenger side wheel to squeek. The squeek sounds like the way semi-metallic ...

Red
    2000 WS6

Front Passenger side Wheel squeek?

I was wondering what could cause the front passenger side wheel to squeek. The squeek sounds like the way semi-metallic break bads sound on rotors, but it happens at lower speeds with no brakes being applied. Was wondering if anyone experienced the same problem and found out what it was? I hit a pot hole and destroyed a wheel and tire a while back, had the alignment redone. Nothing is bent or out of whack, I was kind of thinking it was a wheel bearing, but I don't want to buy a new bearing assembly b/c I have to buy a new hub with it since they are one piece LoL Anyway, let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks guys.

~Jeff

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Have you visually looked at the pads up front? might be a pad sensor if they're worn down. Rule out the easy stuff before looking at a wheel bearing although it very well could be a bearing. Could also be a bushing. The last bearing I had go out sounded more like crushed marbles but that's been many many years ago. Does the noise change if you turn the wheel left or right or hit your brakes?

Red
    2000 WS6

The squeek started as I was turning and eventually happened even when I was driving straight. I just redid the brake pads about 5k ago. The noise does become more high pitched when I brake, but that is because I have semi-metallic brake pads on it. I could tear off the calipers and give them a look again tomorrow I suppose. What do you honestly think? How can I check the integrity of the bushing? It mostly squeeks when I turn the wheel left or go straight. It's driving me crazy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase so wait until some other people respond but it really sounds to me to be brake related. I've had them do the exact symptoms you're describing but it was almost always just the pad sensor. Your brakes are basically new so I highly doubt that's what the problem is unless a caliper is sticking.

Red
    2000 WS6

How much and how hard is it to replace the sensor?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The sensor is just a little metal tang on the brake pad itself that rubs the rotor when the pads get worn down enough.

Red
    2000 WS6

Tore it apart and it wasn't the sensor. I think I found out what it was though. You know the little rubber seal around each piston? They have been torn up pretty bad, guess I didn't notice when I did a pad change earlier this year. I think that is what is making the noise. I don't want to buy a whole new caliper to fix a squeak, do you know of any quick fixes or anything like that to make it so there is a buffer b/w the piston and the brake pad to replace the rubber seal? Pretty sure they don't sell small parts like that at an autoparts place without having to buy the whole caliper.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

if the seals are torn replace the caliper. the seals keep brake fluid from getting past the piston. you might as well replace the driver side while you are at it. it might not be long before that one goes bad as well.

Thread Information