Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 0rion

Front flexible brake line

This is a discussion on Front flexible brake line within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Can the flexible lines for the front brakes be replaced? I can't get a good double flare and it is ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Can the flexible lines for the front brakes be replaced? I can't get a good double flare and it is leaking bad.

The one on the right in the pic

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

This looks like a home plumbing job gone wrong. There are parts stores that will custom make lines for you if you can't use the OEM factory lines. There is also some good double flaring tools on the market as well. Don't skimp on bakes, ever.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic

I know...speed and power are fun as long as you can control it. Was never going to move it until it was fixed.

I know it looks bad but it's not as bad as it looks. I got it figured out and fixed. I just needed to take a break from it and think about it some. I used the tool that holds the line to straighten it out. It turn into it being a bad flare. I cut it off and redid it. All is right again.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

those double flares take a bit of practice....they used to drive me insane. Now I can do them in my sleep. I guess that's what happens when you have to do 50 of them every time before you get a good one. Last year I did a couple brake lines on the truck. Nailed them the first time. I have 2 more lines I probably should do on the truck this year so I'll get a little more practice in.

Navy Blue Metallic

Surprisingly I picked up a good kit from Pepboys. I didn't like the ones Advance, Autozone or O'Reilly's had.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't even remember where I bought mine or what brand it is. The box to it is long gone. My neighbor up the road has a snap on version and it's definitely better than mine but mine works just as good. The trick to it really is how much line you leave out of that block on your first flare. It took me a while to get that right and to make sure that die stays straight when you're making your 2nd one.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't even remember where I bought mine or what brand it is. The box to it is long gone. My neighbor up the road has a snap on version and it's definitely better than mine but mine works just as good. The trick to it really is how much line you leave out of that block on your first flare. It took me a while to get that right and to make sure that die stays straight when you're making your 2nd one.
    I have one from MAC Tools which I bought back in the 70's. It still works well and when flares were updated in the 80's because of ABS MAC had the upgrade pieces available. I have not done a flair in years but it is like riding a bike, once you do a few you never forget. Just make sure you pressure check the line before driving the vehicle.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I remember the first brake line job I ever did on one of my vehicles. I didn't have the flare tool and was intimidated by it really so I bought 2-3 premade sections and bent them and jointed them together with unions. Almost every damn union leaked. It was then I decided I was going to learn how to make my own flares. I also had to do it out of necessity because the next time I did lines it was to the abs block and I couldn't find a line that had the nut for the abs on the end of it and regular thread on the other so I had to put a new end on it. These days I just cut the tubing and reuse the ends.

Navy Blue Metallic

Well I found my answer and it's a lot like you just said Tim.

If I want to replace the flex line I would have had to cut below it and make a flare and then attach a new flex line. Seems the stock lines are are clamped on.

And again like you just said it became a necessity to learn how, I have a 20' of brake line that I cut off a foot to practice one. My issue was the practice piece is nice and new while the one on the car was not and being stubborn. I think what happen on the bad one was I had to much height and it didn't flare right. At least it look that way.

Replaced the gasket in the cap and now it's firm as hell after I bleed them.

Thread Information