White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

Exclamation Free window motor fix

Window motors can be easily fixed rather than replaced.
    This is only a $55.00 part but I am cheep and would rather be in the garage on Sunday than in the house being told to help redecorate (AGAIN). Anyway, it only took me about 20 min. to fix my existing motor.
    After you have removed the motor on the side of the housing (where the plug clips in) there are 3 tabs of metal bent over a black peace of plastic. Bend the 3 tabs out of the way and pull the black plastic out of the metal housing (I just used pliers). Be careful not to lose the brushes or springs (I pulled it out rapidly and it took me a while to find the springs on the ground) now use pliers to remove the center of the motor (try not to gouge the shaft) Inside there will be a ton of grease. This is probably contaminated due to bad seals in the assembly form the factory. Use some solvent like PJ1 or something to clean out the inside of the motor assembly (make sure there are no peaces of metal left sticking to the magnets. (Now clean out / off the other parts you removed) At the top of the spindle there are a number of copper pads that the points ride on. Clean these with steel wool (make sure you get every little bit of the peaces of metal from the steal wool off after you are done (I used tweezers to do this). Also be sure to clean the very small spacing between the contacts (a strait edge razor fits perfectly, I think this build up was why mine broke the first time) Now clean off the contacts and the springs. After all of the parts have been degreased and all foreign metal and debris have been removed you can put it back together. It will help to install the center spindle in to the cap first then slide the whole thing in to the housing this way the points and springs stay in place. Now bend the 3 tabs back over and you are done. This worked for me but on my third “victory window cycle) my gears striped out “probably because I did not grease them because I did not have any electrical grease around just bearing grease (DO NOT USE CONDUCTIVE GREASE AND DO NOT USE MORE THAN NESSACARY) anyway I ended up buying a new unit anyway but hopefully some one else will have better luck
    If anyone would like to do this respond to the post and I will put up step by step pictures I took them whail I was doing it but havent uploded them yet

Blac & silver
    2000 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_gilson
    Window motors can be easily fixed rather than replaced.
    This is only a $55.00 part but I am cheep and would rather be in the garage on Sunday than in the house being told to help redecorate (AGAIN). Anyway, it only took me about 20 min. to fix my existing motor.
    After you have removed the motor on the side of the housing (where the plug clips in) there are 3 tabs of metal bent over a black peace of plastic. Bend the 3 tabs out of the way and pull the black plastic out of the metal housing (I just used pliers). Be careful not to lose the brushes or springs (I pulled it out rapidly and it took me a while to find the springs on the ground) now use pliers to remove the center of the motor (try not to gouge the shaft) Inside there will be a ton of grease. This is probably contaminated due to bad seals in the assembly form the factory. Use some solvent like PJ1 or something to clean out the inside of the motor assembly (make sure there are no peaces of metal left sticking to the magnets. (Now clean out / off the other parts you removed) At the top of the spindle there are a number of copper pads that the points ride on. Clean these with steel wool (make sure you get every little bit of the peaces of metal from the steal wool off after you are done (I used tweezers to do this). Also be sure to clean the very small spacing between the contacts (a strait edge razor fits perfectly, I think this build up was why mine broke the first time) Now clean off the contacts and the springs. After all of the parts have been degreased and all foreign metal and debris have been removed you can put it back together. It will help to install the center spindle in to the cap first then slide the whole thing in to the housing this way the points and springs stay in place. Now bend the 3 tabs back over and you are done. This worked for me but on my third “victory window cycle) my gears striped out “probably because I did not grease them because I did not have any electrical grease around just bearing grease (DO NOT USE CONDUCTIVE GREASE AND DO NOT USE MORE THAN NESSACARY) anyway I ended up buying a new unit anyway but hopefully some one else will have better luck
    If anyone would like to do this respond to the post and I will put up step by step pictures I took them whail I was doing it but havent uploded them yet
    would this be why the window rolls up slowly?

White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

I believe that to be the case. When I removed all of the old dirty contaminated grease the windows moved up and down much more quickly than they have in years.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Hell yes-if you've got pics-put them up-sounds like it'll help some people out.

White
    stolen by "Josh Steel"

Ok, I will. I’ll be out of town on busses for the next couple of days. As soon as I get back home (where my camera is) I will try to get the pictures up that evening. So I should have it posted by the 21st. (Friday)

Thread Information