Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Free Mods???

This is a discussion on Free Mods??? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by prater_1 Whts that suppose to mean? He's talking smack because I made a comment naming off the ...

QSM
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by prater_1 View Post
    Whts that suppose to mean?
    He's talking smack because I made a comment naming off the possible "free" mods and I don't have very many posts. I wasn't trying to say they were a good idea... Just that they were possible. And I'm from Texas was the other part. No biggie though.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

Quote Originally Posted by BadAZ View Post
    He's talking smack because I made a comment naming off the possible "free" mods and I don't have very many posts. I wasn't trying to say they were a good idea... Just that they were possible. And I'm from Texas was the other part. No biggie though.
    were in Texas are you located at bro?

QSM
    2005 GTO

I'm from Midland. You another member from the great state? Lol

Black
    2002 Z/28

Well Im from Texas too so I was wondering if it was a bash or what!?

silver
    2000 formula

its all good ........but i dont know how to cut a airbox since i got the KN filter kit

Why is a major rag saying its a good idea but ppl here are saying its not??

Thanks man thats makes more sense!!

Whts that suppose to mean?
    Just bustin on Sarge, he got thick skin...

White
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    its all good ........but i dont know how to cut a airbox since i got the KN filter kit
    See if this helps. If I am not supposed to put this in mods please take it away.
    http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst.../847-21047.pdf

Pretty detailed in how to modify the air box.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

thanks that link help

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
    See if this helps. If I am not supposed to put this in mods please take it away.
    http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst.../847-21047.pdf
    you're ok

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks for the info and the links! I didnt really understand the tb bypas so could some one explain it a little clearer? And as for the tb porting and descreening, Several ppl here said not to but a Major rag said its good to do.... So wth?
    Porting the throttle body is an excellent modification. But 'descreening' the throttle body is impossible. There is no screen on the throttle body.

The 'screen' to which people refer is on the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Porting and 'descreening' the MAF sensor changes the airflow that the MAF sensor measures, so the airflow 'signal' it sends to the VCM is not the true airfow but an inaccurate one.

Unless you recalibrate the MAF sensor itself (difficult) or recalibrate the parameters of the MAF table in the VCM program using tuning software (much easier), the engine will be somewhat out of tune (and difficult to tune properly).

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

just a helpful tip. when you do cut out the back of the air box tray making it open ie "free ram air" as its commonly called, your air filter will get dirty/plugged up alot quicker as everything that bounces up from the radiator will go right into your filter now...what i did was took some ordinary window screen for like your windows on your house, or possibly a screen door. took the tray out of the air box and cut the screen to fit around it. then pressed it back into place. the screen is small enough to catch or deflect the bigger bugs, or debris, but big enough not to mess with the flow. ive been running mine like this for over 4 years without a hick up....prevents the washing and re oiling of the k&n more often

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    just a helpful tip. when you do cut out the back of the air box tray making it open ie "free ram air" as its commonly called, your air filter will get dirty/plugged up alot quicker as everything that bounces up from the radiator will go right into your filter now...what i did was took some ordinary window screen for like your windows on your house, or possibly a screen door. took the tray out of the air box and cut the screen to fit around it. then pressed it back into place. the screen is small enough to catch or deflect the bigger bugs, or debris, but big enough not to mess with the flow. ive been running mine like this for over 4 years without a hick up....prevents the washing and re oiling of the k&n more often
    sounds like a good idea.

Black
    2002 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Porting the throttle body is an excellent modification. But 'descreening' the throttle body is impossible. There is no screen on the throttle body.

The 'screen' to which people refer is on the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. Porting and 'descreening' the MAF sensor changes the airflow that the MAF sensor measures, so the airflow 'signal' it sends to the VCM is not the true airfow but an inaccurate one.

Unless you recalibrate the MAF sensor itself (difficult) or recalibrate the parameters of the MAF table in the VCM program using tuning software (much easier), the engine will be somewhat out of tune (and difficult to tune properly).
    Sorry that was a typo om my end! i meant descreening the maf!! I knew what I meant it just didnt type right!!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

IMO, do the FRA, did mine over 10yrs ago it's good mod!
    Don't mess with the MAFS, leave it alone!

White
    1998 Z28

Are you as likely to flood the engine with the FRA mod as you are CIA or is there no issues?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by FMBL View Post
    Are you as likely to flood the engine with the FRA mod as you are CIA or is there no issues?
    if you're talking about the FTRA or the SLP version that has the piece that sticks down in front of the radiator then no.....you're not as likely to get water in the engine with the FRA because those others act like a scoop in deep water. I would say though that if you're in water that deep you should've stopped driving a long time ago. I know people have scooped water up with those but I've always wondered just how deep they were willing to go.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

No,
    With the CAI water can easily go straight up into the filter, with the FRA mod the water will go threw the AC condenser and radiator, unless of course you don't bother to slow down.

White
    1998 Z28

Thanks. I figured so but wanted to make sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information