free mods

This is a discussion on free mods within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok so i keeo seeing everyone that has the "free mods" whats the best website that shows you these mods ...

Red
    1998 Camaro

free mods

ok so i keeo seeing everyone that has the "free mods" whats the best website that shows you these mods and how to do them, if there is one...i can get really really bored sittin here at ahome so anythingi can do to my car for perf.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey Leon....welcome to the board man.....
    Her is some good reading....
    http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...11htp_projls1/
    Google LS1 Free Mods....
    Read up....ask some questions here...and we all will help you through them.....

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 M6

Also check out http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
    This site has great descriptive instructions and visuals for the free mods such as FRA (free ram air) and the throttlebody bypass mod. I think there's others as well.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I've noticed the free ram air can have the effect of heating the air when you are not moving,heat from the radiator can be brutally hot.It takes a while before the temperature comes back down again when you get moving again.As long as you are moving there is a ram air effect of cold air,it's just when you are stopped at a light that you can get some really hot air going in there.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I've noticed the free ram air can have the effect of heating the air when you are not moving,heat from the radiator can be brutally hot.It takes a while before the temperature comes back down again when you get moving again.As long as you are moving there is a ram air effect of cold air,it's just when you are stopped at a light that you can get some really hot air going in there.
    but really the car sucking in the hot air,very little air at idle also. Why does it really matter your just sitting at a light. maybe your thinking for an inital take off or something but i still wouldn't see that being a problem

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

OK-this is something I've noticed watching my Intake Air Temperature sensor readout. So why worry about it? Let's say your in the staging lanes at the strip-or just waiting for your stoplight drag w/your favorite Mustang guy. As you sit there the sensor will start reading hotter and hotter temps.The PCM is going to think the out side temp is like 150*F and retard the timing and adjust the fuel curve accordingly. It can take 30 sec. to a minute for this hot air to clear and outside air temp to start reading (depending on actual outside temp.,sometimes more).Your drag strip run is way done and over before cool air hits the intake.In longer runs obviously the free-mod is bringing in cool air ,but it's not going to work for dragstrip stuff.This summer I'm probably going to block it off again.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    The same has been proven for the SS hood since the intake is at the rear of the hood and piped to the front. The fiberglass gets heat soaked sitting still and it takes a significant distance to actually get cooler air flowing. This is a very good point and should not be overlooked, not many people think of it nor believe it, but it should be brought up more often

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Now my question is -does the stock set-up pickup heat also,in other words with the free ram air blocked off does it pickup heat anyway?I'll of course be answering my own question soon,and I'm thinking all the stealth ram air methods (as well as the SS hood)pick up heat too. I'm thinking about ducting air from the grille,modifying it by opening it up on both sides of the license plate and removing the washer bottle.I don't feel anybody really has a need for a gallon of windshield washer fluid,a smaller bottle will do. It sounds like the only real method for picking up cool air.

01 WS6

So is the FRA Mod Worthless on WS6??..

On installuniversity.com they dont show a before and after dyno..!it would've been nice though.

i was thinking of doing a FRA MOD ...but know iam like MMmmmmmmm
    Last edited by FloridaPowerHitter; 05-01-2006 at 04:33 AM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

But wouldn't the same theory go for a "ram air" kit like the "Fast Toys" or the SLP "ram air" kit? They sits down in front of the raidiator and they are metal, and one would think that the hit from the raidiator could heat them, hence heating the air coming through them on initial take off...

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Sorry, I'm at work half asleep. I meant to say, "heat from the radiator", not "hit."

Thread Information