Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Freakin' CEL...again

So, I recently purchased an 00 WS6 (exhaust and K&N, 6 spd) from a dealership. While I was test-driving it the check engine light came on. We took it back and they ended up replacing the two front O2 sensors and cleared the code (a week ago). Well, today I had my foot in it pretty good doing about 115 in 4th and the stupid CEL comes on again. Took it to Autozone and the code reads "lows volts to the front two sensors." Could this be anything else? He claims they replaced those sensors at a $500 expense to them. I need some thoughts. I haven't checked the sensors myself because I don't know where they are or how to get to them. Could they just be loose or something? Let me know what you guys think!

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Sorry I guess it's the SES light. Help!

White
    02 WS6

I get the exact same codes if I don't run premium.

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

I'm running 93 octane all the time.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you certain that the sensors were replaced? If you can get under the car, check them out and also inspect the sensor wire harness on each side to ensure that the connector is fully seated and that the wires have not touched the pipes and burned through. Re-set the SES and see what it does. Any driveability issues?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Are you certain that the sensors were replaced? If you can get under the car, check them out and also inspect the sensor wire harness on each side to ensure that the connector is fully seated and that the wires have not touched the pipes and burned through. Re-set the SES and see what it does. Any driveability issues?
    Agreed

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Yeah, I'll check them. I called the dealership, and they said they have the receipts for the sensors. They replaced them with the "factory Pontiac ones". He said I can check, and they will look brand new. I'll take a look under it. I'm wondering if it's maybe something with the harness since the sensors are new. I just took out the K and N filter today and replaced it with a Wix paper one. Then, I cleaned the MAF and the TB. However, I didn't completely take TB out to do it. I wonder if that could have made some crap come loose in there, but it didn't happen until I'd been driving for about 20 minutes. The car runs fine though. Will it hurt my car if I'm driving it with these sensors going off?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The SES is on in my Durango more than it is off anymore for "catalytic inefficiency". As long as you are not having any driveability issues, sputtering, erratic stuff like that, you are probably fine. If your mileage takes a dramatic drop or you are getting black smoke out the pipes, then you need to be concerned. Obviously, you still want to find and fix the problem, but driving it in the meantime is usually ok.

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

OK thanks.

black
    02 ss camaro

I'd get it addressed asap.The 2 front o2s are what tells the pcm how much fuel to add or take away.Low voltage codes means yours is lean and the pcm is commanding more fuel. I've seen the oil that you are supposed to put on aftermarket air filters blow off on to the maf sensors and mess up the reading to the pcm,which may not set a code specifically for the maf but may cause a false lean or rich condition or set false o2 codes.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Sounds like a wiring issue to me. There are a lot of pinch points such as the heat shield. Also try cleaning out the O2 Sensor connectors and packiing dielectric grease. I've seen corroded pins cause this issue as well

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Well, it went off magically today. I went out and ragged on it a little bit to try to make it come back on and it wouldn't. It may have just been a little residual debris from when I changed out the filter, and cleaned the MAF and the TB with MAF cleaner going over those O2 sensors. All seems to be well...for now. Haha. Thanks everyone!

What were the actual DTCs? It's a P followed by a 4 digit number. We need the number. Not "lows volts to the front two sensors."

The few times I've been in AutoZone and had the unfortunate experience of listening to the counter monkies explain the possible causes of a DTC, they were ALWAYS way off the mark.

Were they P0171 and P0174 by any chance?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Next time you clean the maf take it off the car........

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hmmmmm id say connection. BUT keep in mind u were at 115mph in 4th i assume u were heavy on the throttle which means you'd be in open loop, i wonder if you lost a lil bit of fuel pressure either from a clogged filter or faulty fuel pump at WOT which caused a lean code. check fuel pressure at the rail if it happens again

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

OK, not sure exactly what the code was. I wrote the guy at Autozone off when he said something about the "cadillac converter." I took the MAF off and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. I would never clean it with it on, it would just blow all the crap down into the manifold. I didn't take the TB off when I cleaned it, I just wiped it off really good with a towel that had a small amount of the MAF cleaner on it. Definitely gonna be replacing the fuel filter, plugs, and wires first chance I get. I also will probably check to see if I have a vacuum leak, but for the next month or so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and drive it until I have some cash to do the maintenance.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

When you say exhaust. What changes have been made? You have long tubes or just a cat back?

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Red
    02 Trans Am T-tops M6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    When you say exhaust. What changes have been made? You have long tubes or just a cat back?
    +1 if your ws6 has long tubes it will run rich and throw codes if it was not tunes by a pro( hp tuners ) and set for it also if you dont have long tubes with you going 115 and the check engine light on you were burning whatever arbon was on the pistons at that speed and ( which cleaned your engine out naturly and your engine was reading that you were running righ and bam the magic check engine light / ses light .

WHITE
    2000 WS6 T/A

Sorry guys, no LTs, and it has the factory cats. It's not even a legit catback. Somebody started welding new pipe in at that first bend (after the rear axle) and put a couple glasspacks in there. Normally, I hate the sound of glasspacks, but these don't sound bad at all. The system is running out of these big quad tips that make an angle upward at the end. They look pretty good. The SES light hasn't come back on in several days (knock on wood). I only wish I had LTs!

Go back to AutoZone already and get the actual DTCs. That's all you need. You don't their advice, so just get the codes and post them back here. If they said something about "cadillac converters", it is possible you may have a catalyst inefficiency code(s), in which case the converter(s) will be replaced FREE. No way of knowing without the DTCs though...

Thread Information