Freaked out, need help!

This is a discussion on Freaked out, need help! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I know my answers are on this site since its so big, but I wanted to get this post up ...

masterblaster

Freaked out, need help!

I know my answers are on this site since its so big, but I wanted to get this post up before I started digging? if anybody can clue me in on any questions I owe you a beer.

I bought a 2001 z28 with 44000 miles. Its makes plenty of power but "ticks" upon cold start up. Was told they all do that?? And has a weird resonating sound almost like rod slop starting around 2500 roughly and going away at 3000 - consistently, maybe ignition??

It runs great just makes weird noises, its all stock. Used to ping a bit till I removed the K&N. Other guys with similar cars in the area say to slap exhaust on it and dont worry about the little noises as all aluminum motors allow lots to be heard.

Could a motor with only 44k that is in a very tight car that I am almost sure was not ragged on have internal issues and still be scratching 3rd? One mechanic told me if had heavier than neccessary oil it could have developed issues already.

I'm an old 5 liter guy, this is my first aluminum v8 with this much computerized stuff, a little bewildered I guess. I'm sure you would need more specifics to help with this car but if not let me know what you guys think.

Thanks a TON

Pewter
    1999 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster
    I bought a 2001 z28 with 44000 miles. Its makes plenty of power but "ticks" upon cold start up. Was told they all do that??
    Don't worry about it.
    My 99 Formula only has 8,500 miles and it also makes a slight tick upon cold starts. Soon as it hit operating temp. The tick goes away. I think it's normal for an LS1.

Black
    99 SS

Piston slap, they all have it, some worse then others, i know its hard getting used to be you will over time.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

My piston slap was greatly reduced when I started using "Royal Purple" motor oil, it has Molibdium del Sulfide (sp) in it which quiets things down.

SteveC

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

what's the best oil to use? I have been using Quaker State 5w30

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by goose_von
    what's the best oil to use? I have been using Quaker State 5w30
    hey EKU!!!!! WHATS UP?? i live in NKY

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I don't have any ticking or slapping. Car came with Mobil 1 from factory changed to Royal Purple at about 9k...

masterblaster
    I went to pistonslap.com I believe it was, kinda makes me wish I woulda got that s2000 instead. But you cant beat that good ol' American torque. This problem seems more oil related the more I read threads, weird.

Black
    99 SS

just run a thick oil if you want

masterblaster
    Yah thats probably the ticket, however I had a local mechanic tell me running anything over the specified viscosity sp? will cause and might already have, premature bearing wear due very tiny passage ways and clearances on this late model stuff. Therefore heavy oil may make things worse but quieter?

simzjr
    It's very common to have those symptoms with aluminum engines. The aluminum make-up varies between the block and related components thus leading to different expansion and contraction rates. It's this expansion and contraction that causes this sound. For example...the block might expand at a different rate than the piston causing a slight piston slap. Dont be alarmed...this is normal and if you're that concerned, put some synthetic oil in there. Its magic how much less wear occurs with synthetic! Good luck and happy motoring.

maroonZ
    My 2000 Z makes the same sort of noise on start up. It is really noticable due to the cold temps in Ottawa. After the car reaches operating temp it goes away.

I will be switching to Mobil 1 from whatever was just put in the car at the time of purchase. So, I am hoping that will reduce some of the initial noise upon start up.

Thread Information