blue
    99z28 a4

frame damage questions

I've got an 01 ss and it has some frame damage. The car drives straight does not pull to either side but it does feel like it's floating around when I hit bumps and it bottoms out on occasion(I will upgrade the shocks at some point).my question is will subframe connectors help with this or should I just had the frame repaired when I can afford it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

ok, need a little more details here. How do you know it's frame damage? That feeling could be something as simple as bad bushings or loose suspension parts.

Where was it hit? rear, side, front?

Floating and bottoming out could be bad shocks, worn springs, bump stops missing, or the rubber boot on top of the shocks missing/broke.

blue
    99z28 a4

It was hit in the front I had it looked at by a suspension ship he says the suspension wasn't in need of repair a worn tie and a wheel bearing on its way out but not terrible I have not check for the bump stops up front but the tie rods ends look good they aren't torn

Navy Blue Metallic

Bump stops would be in the rear next to the springs for the rear axle travel.

When's the last time you replaced the shocks then? Are they the originals? 15yrs is a long time on shocks (unless it has less the 50k miles and is a trailer queen).

If the wheel bearing and the tie rod end are on the same wheel I would say one is causing the other. Fix them first, next shocks. Look over all the bushings and suspension pieces first. A collision can jolt the a lot of stuff and loosen or worse break it.

One more important fact - out F bodies are unibody cars. Please don't think I'm belittling you, but this is in case you don't know, the frame doesn't go from front to rear like most cars. It does have rails in the front and rear, it's just the middle doesn't. To sorta answer your previous question the SFC's will help stiffen the body up a lot. IMHO they should have all come with them form the factory. But if the frame is bent you will see it in other places like body panels, aliment gaps and door opening/closing issues, window gaps, etc....

Some of the other guys with frame and body experence will chime in if I forgot something on this.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 04-01-2014 at 01:31 PM.

blue
    99z28 a4

Any ideas on where to get the shocks and Springs I checked earlier they are the orange one my car has the fe4 rpo I've searched numerous places and get different answers I know that a decent set will run at least 400 plus and I was hoping to lower the car a inch or so would bilstein be the best bet i had them on my previous fbody i loved em
    Last edited by Ieatstangs; 04-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.

blue
    99z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Bump stops would be in the rear next to the springs for the rear axle travel.

When's the last time you replaced the shocks then? Are they the originals? 15yrs is a long time on shocks (unless it has less the 50k miles and is a trailer queen).

If the wheel bearing and the tie rod end are on the same wheel I would say one is causing the other. Fix them first, next shocks. Look over all the bushings and suspension pieces first. A collision can jolt the a lot of stuff and loosen or worse break it.

One more important fact - out F bodies are unibody cars. Please don't think I'm belittling you, but this is in case you don't know, the frame doesn't go from front to rear like most cars. It does have rails in the front and rear, it's just the middle doesn't. To sorta answer your previous question the SFC's will help stiffen the body up a lot. IMHO they should have all come with them form the factory. But if the frame is bent you will see it in other places like body panels, aliment gaps and door opening/closing issues, window gaps, etc....

Some of the other guys with frame and body experence will chime in if I forgot something on this.

I checked the bump stops are still there the shocks look foreign to me "never been a fan of suspension" I tried to attach a picture
    01 black SS with a few slp options

blue
    99z28 a4

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Koni shocks and Strano springs are the most recommended... but that's a pricey package. I have Koni's double adjustable shocks on the front of our car and they do work great. Sounds like you have something else going on over and above any possible damage to the underbody. Easy way to check for damage is to take a center-to-center front wheel to rear wheel measurement on each side of the car. If there is a significant difference that is an indicator that things may have been pushed around in the accident. Another test is to take the car down a straight stretch of road and have two people in a car follow you. They should both sight down the side of your car as it goes down the road to see if it is tracking funny. A reputable body shop with a frame machine can also check the underbody and make some measurements.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Ieatstangs View Post

Hard to tell without a better pic.

you do have a bad leak on that tire, possibly a wheel bearing

blue
    99z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Koni shocks and Strano springs are the most recommended... but that's a pricey package. I have Koni's double adjustable shocks on the front of our car and they do work great. Sounds like you have something else going on over and above any possible damage to the underbody. Easy way to check for damage is to take a center-to-center front wheel to rear wheel measurement on each side of the car. If there is a significant difference that is an indicator that things may have been pushed around in the accident. Another test is to take the car down a straight stretch of road and have two people in a car follow you. They should both sight down the side of your car as it goes down the road to see if it is tracking funny. A reputable body shop with a frame machine can also check the underbody and make some measurements.

I'm well aware that the frame is damaged it's bent but the car drives in a straight line ..

blue
    99z28 a4

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Hard to tell without a better pic.

you do have a bad leak on that tire, possibly a wheel bearing
    It's hard to tell what?
    I did a little research last night after seeing the coilovers the previous owner added a ground control coilover kit this is new knowledge to me but I'm gonna just get a quote for fixing the frame then add SFC's and replace all of the suspension thanks for the help

I don't know what a leak would be from its been raining non stop here in California I don't think the wheel bearing is leaking ...the one up front had a small amount of play but I'll just replace them this weekend

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

To me, "floating around" would be either low air pressure in the tires or worn shocks. Shocks can be worn and not leak. You could try RockAuto's website for replacement shocks to fit your budget. Have your alignment checked as well for added peace of mind.

Navy Blue Metallic

when I did my springs I went with a HD OEM shock. I wasn't ready for a major purchase for shocks and still haven't choose between Bilstien or Koni's.

Thread Information