Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fram Extended Guard

This is a discussion on Fram Extended Guard within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; In their price range they are a great filter. Do not have the flow nor holding capacity of these new ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

In their price range they are a great filter. Do not have the flow nor holding capacity of these new Fram XG's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Mobil1 is $12.99 at AutoZone and XG is $8.79 at ChinaMart.
    ChinaMart

Thanks for that Sarge, too funny...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I did not use a Fram since the early nineties.....20 years.
    These are not the orange can of death filters....actually I cut open a Mobil1 and a XG. I could tell no difference. Down to the details. I think they are the exact same filter now.
    That's interesting.

Any better or worse than a Purolator Pureone?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

More flow/More capacity.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Wow! There is now a Fram oil filter that is not a POS? Then that story I heard recently about ice cream now being made in hell must be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yep. I've noticed this too. Back when the LS based Escalades came out, the recommended filter was the long one. Now just about every catalog lists the short one, even ACDelco's catalog does. Its weird. They started by putting the short filter on the Hummer H2 because the long one doesn't fit. Seems like it started a trend towards the short filter for the trucks.
    well no...but yes thats the next generation of the short filter. There are currently several catalogs out there that list the PF46(short) for the 1/2 ton trucks, when they original came with the PF61(long) style. Basically its a confusing mess.
    I confirmed it last night. My father bought his 01 6.0 truck new, and it came with the PF61 installed.
    So I went to Wally World last night, they have an old Fram catalog hanging in the filter section. So I started cross referencing everything.

Turns out the longer PF61 is in fact still listed in there as being the filter for all the 6.0 trucks from 99 on up. While they list the shorter PF46 for the cars.
    I crossed both of these numbers over for these new XG Fram filters and they both crossed to #3506. I knew this couldn't be right because I was crossing 2 completely different sized filters.
    I pulled the 3506 off the shelf and my guess was right, they are telling you to run the shorty filter on everything, it was all of 3 inches tall
    Guess they are cutting costs just as I suspected.

So I bought my usual supply of PF61's, I'll stick with the taller filter.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Aint Fram or AC Delco doing this guys. It is the GM engineers and the bypass mode pressure they require. But more importantly the PF61 does not have the anti drain back valve that the PF46 has.
    It is required for your motors. There is more to this than just the size of the can here fella's.
    But hey if you want your filter going into bypass all the time and dry start ups by all means .............
    Last edited by Sarge; 01-22-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Wow! There is now a Fram oil filter that is not a POS? Then that story I heard recently about ice cream now being made in hell must be true.
    You want sprinkles? Shit changes constantly.

Aint Fram or AC Delco doing this guys. It is the GM engineers and the bypass mode pressure they require. But more importantly the PF61 does not have the anti drain back valve that the PF46 has.
    It is required for your motors. There is more to this than just the size of the can here fella's.
    But hey if you want your filter going into bypass all the time and dry start ups by all means .............
    I've used it for years without issue. I'll stick with it. I can't even begin to ponder why they would make the truck filter without a drain back valve, yet the car filter does,,,,that doesn't make any sense at all when we are assentially dealing with the same LS platform on either the truck or the car. Not to mention the trucks are always considered the work horses. That whole scenario puzzles me.

Something else I noticed last night too.

The PF61's are no longer PF61's. They have changed the part number to PF61E. Not sure what the significance of the "E" is.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well GM in all their glory decided to put the buypass in the oil galley versus relying on the filter. Hell no your probably not going to hurt anything and I have done the same thing myself.

But the bottom line of what I am trying to say is do not blame the oil filter manufacturers. Go lob a firebomb through the engineering departments window at GM. I'll help.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

AcDelco is made by Champ Filters. Champ Filters taught their "E" core design. I think that might be what the E is for

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Something else I noticed last night too.

The PF61's are no longer PF61's. They have changed the part number to PF61E. Not sure what the significance of the "E" is.
    Your not going to like it. But I'll tell you.
    The E means ECore. It is a WalMart SuperTech filter now. Same Same.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

AcDelco is made by Champ Filters. Champ Filters taught their "E" core design. I think that might be what the E is for
    Cardboard Endcaps glued on. I'll pass. You guys dont put that crap on your cars anymore man. I always recommended AC Delco's for years. Then they "outsourced" them.....now you have glued up cardboard bullshit. Things change guys......
    AC Delco PF61E Paper Glued on endcaps

Fram XG Metal crimped end caps

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Oh yeah I know they are crappier now. About 3-4 years ago at my work we started putting Champ filters on cars so we could offer an oil change at a cheaper price. so we stock Champ and ACDelco filters. The difference was crystal clear. The Champs just look and feel cheap. The 61e just came out not too long ago it seems and you can see and feel it when you handle one. Its just not the same. I don't think all AcDelco's went to Ecore yet but a lot have.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yeah they changed their supplier and specs. WalMart SuperTech filters and these new AC Delco "E" filters are the same thing. Now you can run 'em. But I wont.
    I was one of the first to swim upstream and bash Fram. Every racer and car in the country had a fram on when I started in on their ass.......wasnt popular but soon people got educated and realized they were being ripped off and not really filtering anything but their money to Fram. Well history repeats itself with these new AC Delco "E" filters. Total POS.

Oh yeah I know they are crappier now. About 3-4 years ago at my work we started putting Champ filters on cars so we could offer an oil change at a cheaper price. so we stock Champ and ACDelco filters. The difference was crystal clear. The Champs just look and feel cheap. The 61e just came out not too long ago it seems and you can see and feel it when you handle one. Its just not the same. I don't think all AcDelco's went to Ecore yet but a lot have.
    I don't think they have either. I just noticed the "E" designation recently on the 61.
    I still have a stockpile of 61's here without the "E" that I bought last year. I usually buy large quantities of oil and filters so I'm not constantly making trips to the stores for little crap like that.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Its a case by case thing and these things change fast(like Sarge said). There were a few Champ filters that seemed really nice (the 48 and 2129 comes to mind) but now I think the 48 is ecore and I think the AcDelco 48 is ecore now also (it doesn't have the "E" at the end though). AcDelco started phasing in the Ecore on their non-GM vehicle filters but kept the GM filters (44, 46, 48, 61, etc) the better quality ones. Now you just have to check out when you buy to see what design your getting.

black
    1998 transam ws6

sarge when mobil 1 goes E let me no thanks lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Mobil1 filters went Fram XG. That is what all this is about man
    Go drink some coffee and read again.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Thread Information