Thread: four problems

White
    99 Pontiac Formula

four problems

first my driver's side power window, goes up crooked, I had the car in the dealership three times during extended warranty, it never rolled up straight longer than a month
    the motor seems fine, but once the window hits the mirror's rubber boot, it will not go up straight anymore
    the dealership told me they were aligning the window
    but its always the same problem
    what to do? I am now out of extended warranty and they did the work about a year and three months ago
    also my passenger side was fixed once, during extended warranty, but has always rolled up and down kinda slow, unlike most new cars, it that normal?

second problem, my freakin antenna will not lower all the way always, sometimes it stops about an inch or two before the bottom
    they also were suppose to have fixed this last time I was in at the dealership, I saw no difference between new and old antenna by the way
    both have issues with going down all the way

third problem, this one is driving me nuts
    my freakin low coolant light is on, I have drained and filled it a couple of times in the past year, but usually it just comes back on
    I did have the problem in the past and it seemed a full system flush solved the problem
    do I need to pay the dealership 90 dollars or whatever to have this done?
    or is there another option?

fourth problem, really not sure if its impatience or a problem, it seems that sometimes when I run my AC, it does not work,
    but .... after a hard acceleration, and the rpms lower the AC seems to kick right on

This is on a 99 Formula, six speed, with about 60k

Black
    '97 Trans Am

Window- have you checked all of the brackets and stuff? Maybe the window popped off the bracket our something. It probably won't be something that easy is its already been to the dealer, but who knows. Its and easy thing to check.

AC- Have you had the AC recharged lately? Maybe it needs one.

White
    99 Pontiac Formula

its not been back to dealer, but I am having some work done soon and I am planning to talk with them about the window they "fixed" and the antenna they "fixed"

the AC has not been serviced since it got a new compressor two or three years ago

I will have that looked at

thanks for the reply

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

[QUOTE=kny3twalker]first my driver's side power window, goes up crooked, I had the car in the dealership three times during extended warranty, it never rolled up straight longer than a month
    the motor seems fine, but once the window hits the mirror's rubber boot, it will not go up straight anymore
    the dealership told me they were aligning the window
    but its always the same problem
    what to do? I am now out of extended warranty and they did the work about a year and three months ago
    also my passenger side was fixed once, during extended warranty, but has always rolled up and down kinda slow, unlike most new cars, it that normal?
    The exact thing happened to me. Our windows are riveted to a bracket that rolls up and down the track. That bracket broke. I went to the local camaro/firebird only salvage and the guy said these things break all the time. I bought the bracket from him for $25.00 and paid a glass repair shop like $75.00 to put it in. Window works great now.
    second problem, my freakin antenna will not lower all the way always, sometimes it stops about an inch or two before the bottom
    they also were suppose to have fixed this last time I was in at the dealership, I saw no difference between new and old antenna by the way
    both have issues with going down all the way
    Unfortunetly there is not much you can do about this. It may be that when the put the new antenna in they started it wrong and now it basically stops just a little short. I did this myself when I replaced mine, had to take it apart and put it back together to fix it. It also happend to my 96 t/a and it just fixed itself after a couple of months.

third problem, this one is driving me nuts
    my freakin low coolant light is on, I have drained and filled it a couple of times in the past year, but usually it just comes back on
    I did have the problem in the past and it seemed a full system flush solved the problem
    do I need to pay the dealership 90 dollars or whatever to have this done?
    or is there another option?
    This is another common problem, the coolant sensor is located just below the radiator cap and it just gets corroded and stops working. Go to your local Autozone or whatever and pick up a new sensor, just pull the clip off and it comes off. Takes less than 10 min to fix don't have to drain your system or anything.

fourth problem, really not sure if its impatience or a problem, it seems that sometimes when I run my AC, it does not work,
    but .... after a hard acceleration, and the rpms lower the AC seems to kick right on
    Now this I would have to go with the previous post on maybe a low freon level or your compressor is having trouble engaging the clutch and when you rev it the cintrifical (spelling!) force is locking it up so it starts working. Probably need to take this to a shop to get looked at. I would just wait until it broke unless they can repair the compressor with a rebuild or something. I'm pretty sure they can't.

Hope this stuff helps.

White
    99 Pontiac Formula

Smile

Unfortunetly there is not much you can do about this. It may be that when the put the new antenna in they started it wrong and now it basically stops just a little short. I did this myself when I replaced mine, had to take it apart and put it back together to fix it. It also happend to my 96 t/a and it just fixed itself after a couple of months.
    well mine does go down all the way sometimes, just not all the time
    my friend and I were thinking about finding a cap and just getting an under the dash antenna, any ideas about capping that antenna hole?

Now this I would have to go with the previous post on maybe a low freon level or your compressor is having trouble engaging the clutch and when you rev it the cintrifical (spelling!) force is locking it up so it starts working. Probably need to take this to a shop to get looked at. I would just wait until it broke unless they can repair the compressor with a rebuild or something. I'm pretty sure they can't.
    do you think its worth, having the freon serviced though?
    it started doing this after one day, when I blew both of my belts, eating up a Lotus Elise (with AC on)

The exact thing happened to me. Our windows are riveted to a bracket that rolls up and down the track. That bracket broke. I went to the local camaro/firebird only salvage and the guy said these things break all the time. I bought the bracket from him for $25.00 and paid a glass repair shop like $75.00 to put it in. Window works great now.
    do you know a part number? what kind of glass repair shop works on cars?
    have a picture maybe?

or maybe you can tell me the part number from the image

I am in Dallas so if anyone knows a good Chevy Custom Shop, Car glass Repair Shop, etc.... I would like to know about them

This is another common problem, the coolant sensor is located just below the radiator cap and it just gets corroded and stops working. Go to your local Autozone or whatever and pick up a new sensor, just pull the clip off and it comes off. Takes less than 10 min to fix don't have to drain your system or anything.
    any point in buying a delco sensor?

and thanks for the excellent/detailed reply

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well if the antenna only stops going down some times I would just give it a little shoot of a silicon based lubricant. That should fix it.

Well your AC system is not designed to work well at high RPM it is supposed to disengage the clutch at WOT so maybe something happened there. It just depends on your shop. If you got an honest mechanic and he only gets you for 50-60 bucks to check it out I would do it to make sure your not going to save money getting something fixed now, because if you have to replace a compressor most AC guys are going to want you to replace the compress,condensor and everything which is expensive.

I'm pretty sure the part for the window is labeled 12 in the picture. Any glass shop that puts windshields in will generall replace any glass on the car including fixing this problem with our door. So many of the window now days are riveted to the hardware inside they know exactly how to get the old broken glass out and new glass in. But in your case they won't be selling you any glass just putting the new part on. Just look some up in the phone book and give them a call.

As for the sensor, I am a fan of replacing Delco with Delco for sure. My only issue with this sensor is that it is just an on off switch and if it is going to get corroded and go bad every couple of years I am not going to pay extra for a Delco when an Aftermarket will work. Now anything mechanical or crucial like a power steering pump or anything I stick with Delco.

No problem helping you out. I love it when someone asks something I can help with

White
    99 Pontiac Formula

I'm pretty sure the part for the window is labeled 12 in the picture. Any glass shop that puts windshields in will generall replace any glass on the car including fixing this problem with our door. So many of the window now days are riveted to the hardware inside they know exactly how to get the old broken glass out and new glass in. But in your case they won't be selling you any glass just putting the new part on. Just look some up in the phone book and give them a call.
    well my car is at the body shop now(hit a curb, messed up wheels and put crack in bottom of bumper), and the service shop is suppose to look at the window while its there
    these are the prices I found for new Delco parts, where I normally buy them online

Outer Right 93-02 MSRP $39.75 Their Price $27.00

Outer Left 93-02 MSRP $42.18 Their Price $28.62
    from p and g chevy, aka partszoneonline.com

just in case you were needing another in the future

Well if the antenna only stops going down some times I would just give it a little shoot of a silicon based lubricant. That should fix it.
    thanks I will pick some up if the dealership wants any money for repair

Well your AC system is not designed to work well at high RPM it is supposed to disengage the clutch at WOT so maybe something happened there. It just depends on your shop. If you got an honest mechanic and he only gets you for 50-60 bucks to check it out I would do it to make sure your not going to save money getting something fixed now, because if you have to replace a compressor most AC guys are going to want you to replace the compress,condensor and everything which is expensive.
    I have only dealt with dealerships, usually having them do diagnosis, then I buy the parts and replace them
    with A/C though, I am out of luck
    I know certain dealerships in my area will only charge a half hour ($35) for diagnosis, but that does not help in repair
    anyways though if its another compressor (I had the original replaced three maybe two years ago), I might as well wait until it goes out, right?

As for the sensor, I am a fan of replacing Delco with Delco for sure. My only issue with this sensor is that it is just an on off switch and if it is going to get corroded and go bad every couple of years I am not going to pay extra for a Delco when an Aftermarket will work. Now anything mechanical or crucial like a power steering pump or anything I stick with Delco.
    well they are checking this out as well, if they want any money for it, I will either call partszoneonline or hit up autozone/pepboys/oreilly's

No problem helping you out. I love it when someone asks something I can help with
    thanks again

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird T/A WS6

I'm having the window glass bracket problem right now. Do you have any links to where I can buy the new bracket the glass connects to? The bracket cracked and the part with the swiveling wheel won't stay in the busted hole. Thanks.

White
    99 Pontiac Formula

partszoneonline

that where I get all my parts
    Last edited by cammed goat; 03-22-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird T/A WS6

Thanks, I just emailed them.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I edited the link to save you some ink for non-sponsorship sites.

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird T/A WS6

I'm thinking I need Item 19, does that seem correct?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yes, you will need item 19 if the window is crooked. Now to check the problem pull your door panel out and look on the left hole. You need the window to be down abit and you can see item 21 mess up or missing. I had mine missing, I had to dremel the rivets to get the glass out. I got the bracket from a junk yard for 20 bucks. My friend got the heavy duty rivet gun and some rivets. I just reinstalled myself. Also when you pull the bracket out check another bearing that is sitting in the middle of the door. This bearing was going bad so I replace it too since the bracket slides into it. It wasn't to hard but it took me like 1.5 hrs to finish it.

Black on Black
    2001 Firebird T/A WS6

Thanks, I took a spare 21 swivel part from Pick n Pull just to have one. Screw taking the glass out myself, I did that at Pick n Pull on a Camaro just to see and ehh... I'd rather take it to a glass shop cause if I do end up breaking it, that's a new glass window plus tint to get redone. Thanks though, I'll look at the other bearrings too.

Thread Information