Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fluid changes...

This is a discussion on Fluid changes... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Aint that big a cost frankly....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Aint that big a cost frankly.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Guys dont waste your time fucking around with a rear end gasket. Take your cover or your girdle cover make sure its clean, and run yourself a nice bead of RTV around the perimeter and around the bolt holes, then place the cover straight onto your rear end. Dont smear it around, and start threading all your bolts through. Tighten the bolts down and then let it cure for about 2 hrs. Then fill the diff. this is all thats necessary. If you have a LSD, make sure that theres friction modifier in there if you have a clutch type rear. Whether its via the modifier already in the gear oil or you add it yourself, just make sure its in there. As far as gear oil goes, go with the factory recommended weight and just use a brand name. Dont go as crazy with gear oil as you would the engine.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Word^ High Temp Silicon from NAPA baby

To take that a step further on the rearend changing,,,I tend to change the rear fluid more frequently depending on the type of posi unit the car is equipped with.

Alot of these 4th gens got the locker type unit that SLP offered at one time,,,rather than the much more simple cone or clutch type posi.

I find these locker type units create a ton of metal simply due to their design. Even as short as 20,000 miles you'll find alot of junk on the magnet.
    The clutch type units are much more forgiving in that they only create clutch materal and is virtually harmless to bearings and such.

With that said,,,I tend to change my rearend oil much more frequently on a 4th gen equipped with the locker style LSD. All that metal floating around is hell on bearings and ring and pinion wear and tear. The magnet doesn't catch all of it.

And with that said,,,I prefer the gasket with only a slight amount of sealer. Simply because only using sealer makes cleanup on the next oil change and royal pain in the ass.

On a clutch type unit it wouldn't bother me either way whether a gasket or just sealer was used,,,because I wouldn't be inside of it as often.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Word^ High Temp Silicon from NAPA baby
    that suff is fun to play with... all blue and pretty... and waiting for me to do bad thing to people with...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Ok walmart told me to use Royal Purple, so i bought 4 gallons of it...who wants some?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information