JET BLACK
    99 SS

First SS!!! Help fixing gas gauge

Just bought my first ss red 115k 6speed ttops short shifter center force stage 2 dynomax exhaust 4:11 gears new struts around blah blah. Only thing is my speed odo is 15 miles fast (is it due to gears?) and my gas gauge doesnt work. have to fill up and hit trip meter? How much is it to fix and where??? And how do I gt speed odo recalibrated and how much?? o yea paid 5k for ss

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

most likely its the gears. Do you have stock wheels/size? you can find a local tuner to help you with the recalibration, they might be nice and only charge you $100. That's if there are nice. Or since you are going to spend the money you could do a mail order tune from FROST and he could fix that and give you a little more. So the gauge goes too far? Where in cali you live?

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

mine goes too far every time i fill up its usual for that to happen for me

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    mine goes too far every time i fill up its usual for that to happen for me
    Ya thats what i was thinking, so does mine. But im not sure if thats what he meant.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

The sending unit is part of the fuel pump. Kind of a pain to do but worth it for a working gas guage.

Like said above, it is the gears especially if you have stock tire sizes. I would recomend going to tunedbyfrost.com to get the PCM tuned. It will get you more horse power with your mods unless its already been tuned.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

White
    97 3.8L Firebird 5 Speed

Your gas guage will never be right if you do fix it, you should keep your tank above half tank anyways. Fuel pumps hate people who depend on the light

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
    Your gas guage will never be right if you do fix it, you should keep your tank above half tank anyways. Fuel pumps hate people who depend on the light
    Hmm I did my fuel pump and my guage reads fine.. Usually it's better to not go below 1/4 tank but to each their own.. I would definelty not wait for the light tho..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    The sending unit is part of the fuel pump. Kind of a pain to do but worth it for a working gas guage.

Like said above, it is the gears especially if you have stock tire sizes. I would recomend going to tunedbyfrost.com to get the PCM tuned. It will get you more horse power with your mods unless its already been tuned.
    and this...

White
    97 3.8L Firebird 5 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hmm I did my fuel pump and my guage reads fine.. Usually it's better to not go below 1/4 tank but to each their own.. I would definelty not wait for the light tho..
    i meant accurate reading,my half tank is about 5 gallons...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
    i meant accurate reading,my half tank is about 5 gallons...
    oh my bad

JET BLACK
    99 SS

yea my tank stays on empty even when I fill it up? So what do I fix? gas gauge or fuel pump?

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    most likely its the gears. Do you have stock wheels/size? you can find a local tuner to help you with the recalibration, they might be nice and only charge you $100. That's if there are nice. Or since you are going to spend the money you could do a mail order tune from FROST and he could fix that and give you a little more. So the gauge goes too far? Where in cali you live?
    I live in bay area (nor cal) richmond

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    yea my tank stays on empty even when I fill it up? So what do I fix? gas gauge or fuel pump?
    Your gas gauge is basicly a volt/ohm meter can't remember which. I believe the sending unit in the tank sends a voltage or ohm reading to your guage which in turn shows the fuel level of the tank. I'd try maybe trying to locate the sending unit wires and test for voltage/ohms. Only way I can think to do it really.. You could prolly test it @ the tank harness plug that is located on the drivers side inside the axle tunnel.. Or locate a schematic of your wiring for an easier test site. I honesly don't think it's your gauge. But they can go bad just not all that common. Most times it can be traced to a stuck/sticking or bad sending unit. In which case (if it is the sending unit) you will have to drop the tank to fix it..

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

my gas guage went out at about 100k....about 100 miles after that, my fuel pump went out. Changed out fuel pump, gas guage worked again. I'd be willing to put money on it being the sending unit on the fuel pump. At 115k, it's almost inevitable that you will have to replace the pump soon anyway...just my opinion. I've had my car from 88k to now 175k, so I've been through everything external minus power steering and rear end on my SS over the last few years.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The in tank level sensor should read about 40 ohms empty and 250 ohms full.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

how many miles do you get on a full tank of gas in a 98 ss?

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Depends on your driving style. If its all city and you keep your foot out of it, 200 or so.

If its all highway then you should have no problem getting 240 - 320.

As long as you were not at the track or running WOT everday I think you could fill up every 200 miles and never get close to empty.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

[QUOTE=gnomee;2241852]The sending unit is part of the fuel pump. Kind of a pain to do but worth it for a working gas guage.

Like said above, it is the gears especially if you have stock tire sizes. I would recomend going to tunedbyfrost.com to get the PCM tuned. It will get you more horse power with your mods unless its already been tuned.[/Q

how many horses should my mods add to my stock 320????

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I'm not real familiar with the dynomax exhaust but thats the only mod you listed that will add horsepower. Maybe 10-15... Someelse will chime in with a better idea.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

just talked to the owner and he said he replaced the sending unit and fuel pump 2 weeks ago from general motors. He said it for sure is the instument cluster. And he said I have 4:53 gears not 4:11's. So how do I replace this cluster unit and how much it cost? And recalibated my speed odo?

Thread Information