Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fill the oil filter: fact or myth?

This is a discussion on Fill the oil filter: fact or myth? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Sarge And as for the magnets. We always use a magnetic drain plug as that is where ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    And as for the magnets. We always use a magnetic drain plug as that is where most of the metal particles stay anyway. I always use a quart of el cheapo oil to "flush" my motors anyway during an oil change and let it drain until it stops dripping. This flushes out the shit accumulating in the bottom of the pan. But I cannot argue the magnets do seem to trap particles so I am all for that man
    I am a fan of the magnetic drain plugs for sure,,,have one in every car.

white
    2002 B4C

Magnets

People say I have a magnetic personality! hehehe!

Lame attempt at humor, but I laughed!

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Almost all the wear on your critical internals are at start up. FACT.
    Filling the oil filter reduces the time it takes to presurizes the oiling system. FACT
    The mechanic that told you this is a dumbass. FACT
    Lol Priceless, LIke many have said, i would fill it up.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Boys and Girls,
    For all of you who are telling the world "it aint no big deal" not to pre fill the oil filter as it only takes 5 seconds anyway........here is a little experiment for you.....
    Next oil change....pre fill your new filter to the top....wait 30 seconds.....where did all the oil go?! It is gone. It was soaked up into the element......sorta blows the 5 second "theory" doesnt it?
    Fantastic. Would you mind using your super duper oil knowledge to tell us how long it takes to fill that filter WITH PRESSURIZED OIL? $10 says it's less than 5 seconds...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Fantastic. Would you mind using your super duper oil knowledge to tell us how long it takes to fill that filter WITH PRESSURIZED OIL? $10 says it's less than 5 seconds...

dont call out Sarge on oil, you'll get

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    dont call out Sarge on oil, you'll get
    this is the truth

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes SWRI ( Southwest Research Institute) did a test of exactly that for the truckers...I'll try and find it for you with my super dooper powers....but I recall it took over 10 seconds.....I don't care if it took 3 seconds....I dont want my internals exposed to pressure (fuck friction) with no oil film because I was too fucking lazy to prefill my filter...do you?
    So it wouldn't bother you at all to have your internals under load with no oil film for 5 seconds? Do you know how long it takes to seize a bearing there Buckwheat? About a few seconds with no film and you will scar the bearing surface for sure.....Pre fill your filter and significantly reduce the time to fully pressurizes the criticals......or don't...I don't give a shit.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

some people wil never learn sarge,....but thats why they are the dumbasses on the side of the road that "knew" everything

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

told ya

it really isnt hard to do and it wont hurt anything, the only thing it can do is help

Pewter
    2002 WS6

LMAO, I love lazy kids nowadays. I just don't get how people can't understand the concept of prefilling a filter and extending the life of the investment you (or your daddy in their case) made in the car...

-Eagle

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    LMAO, I love lazy kids nowadays. I just don't get how people can't understand the concept of prefilling a filter and extending the life of the investment you (or your daddy in their case) made in the car...

-Eagle
    Sounds like they have no concept of what happins inside an engine. Wouldn't suprise me if they didn't prime the oil system after a teardown.
    Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

-Eagle
    Surely you do understand that many modern engines do not allow prefilling of the filter. They don't seem to have any problems. Mercedes and BMW haven't used filter that you could fill for decades. Their engines seem to last quite a while, and I'll bet their engine designers/engineers know a fuckload more than you or anyone else on this board about oil.

Sarge - That SWRI test... You say it was done for truckers? As in diesel engines with ginormous oil filters? I'm sure one of those would take a quite some time to fill, but a standard car filter would take much, much less time. Finally, running an engine with no oil pressure on the first few seconds of startup is what ALL ENGINES DO ANYWAY!!!!

RacerBob - I see you have an LS1 powered car. Do YOU prime the oil system after teardown? Maybe on a vehicle equipped with a distributor, but an LS1 build will have you dry starting. LS1s don't build oil pressure without a running engine - period.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Thumbs down

Surely you do understand that many modern engines do not allow prefilling of the filter. They don't seem to have any problems. Mercedes and BMW haven't used filter that you could fill for decades. Their engines seem to last quite a while, and I'll bet their engine designers/engineers know a fuckload more than you or anyone else on this board about oil.

Sarge - That SWRI test... You say it was done for truckers? As in diesel engines with ginormous oil filters? I'm sure one of those would take a quite some time to fill, but a standard car filter would take much, much less time. Finally, running an engine with no oil pressure on the first few seconds of startup is what ALL ENGINES DO ANYWAY!!!!

RacerBob - I see you have an LS1 powered car. Do YOU prime the oil system after teardown? Maybe on a vehicle equipped with a distributor, but an LS1 build will have you dry starting. LS1s don't build oil pressure without a running engine - period.
    Do you even know what a bearing is.........?

And after a tear down ALL bearings seafuces are coated with a assembly lube.

"Finally, running an engine with no oil pressure on the first few seconds of startup is what ALL ENGINES DO ANYWAY!!!!"
    WRONG!!!!!

Keep saving your self that 2 min. it takes to pre fill your filter your bearings love it!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Wow. Surely YOU do understand that by the URL of this site we ARE speaking of LS1 cars specifically and therefore we're speaking of oil filters that DO allow you to prefill them. Why even bring up BMWs?

Don't come out here and be combative.

-Eagle

Don't come out here and be combative.

-Eagle
    Tell you what - I wouldn't be combative if people like you actually read the ENTIRE thread. There is a discussion here that has gone on several pages. Please don't read a select few posts and then comment, mmmmK?

LS2Tuner Please heed this advice also. Doing so would show you how foolish your last comment was Post 72 may be of some interest to you.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Tell you what - I wouldn't be combative if people like you actually read the ENTIRE thread. There is a discussion here that has gone on several pages. Please don't read a select few posts and then comment, mmmmK?

LS2Tuner Please heed this advice also. Doing so would show you how foolish your last comment was Post 72 may be of some interest to you.
    WTF ever dude, I submit to your stupidity... no time for you.

-Eagle

PS - to the OP, please do prefill your oil filters before you install them. It costs you 1-2 minutes and definitely only helps your motor during the initial startup after changing oil.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, I fill my oil filter up everytime. But seriously, not doing is not going to destroy an engine. My old man never did with his Ranger or S10 and between the two of them he had over 500,000 miles. I know plenty of people that don't and there motors are fine. If you want to, then do it, if you don't, no harm no foul. This is more of a personal preference then a must do. Like I said, I do it but even if I didn't, my motor will be seeing a 383 before any of the bearings go out, that is for sure.

light grey
    1978 Volvo 242GT

Wow...lots of good opinions here. I have some tooss. Is an LS engine oil filture full flow or a bypass type? Don't know. If bypass, and I think it may be, then only an actual small percentage of the oil drawn up by the pump goes there. The rest to to the mill. Probably at least 90% by my guess.

The oil pump self primes and pressurizes the engine in just a few seconds. Start your mill after an oil change and watch the oil pressure gage like always and see how quickly this re-pressure thing happens. Enough left over old oil remains inside/on the bearings during a "dry start" to protect the things.

In this respect, the internal condition of the bearings is practically, but not exactly, like an ordinary start up of the mighty mill. We all, with good habits, let the mill warm up gently for a few minutes before we get rough with it. I know I take it very easy with an engine which just had an oil change with filture.

Final point. Bottom line, in my view, is that is makes no PRACTICAL difference if one chooses to fill up a new oil fiture or not after an oil change. You choice, you decision. Funny how enonomy of scale may affect my thinking. When we changed the lube oil in a luxery yacht, yeah, we filled up the multiple oil fitures. $100 grand Detroit Diesels. Go figure.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
    Wow...lots of good opinions here. I have some tooss. Is an LS engine oil filture full flow or a bypass type? Don't know. If bypass, and I think it may be, then only an actual small percentage of the oil drawn up by the pump goes there. The rest to to the mill. Probably at least 90% by my guess.

The oil pump self primes and pressurizes the engine in just a few seconds. Start your mill after an oil change and watch the oil pressure gage like always and see how quickly this re-pressure thing happens. Enough left over old oil remains inside/on the bearings during a "dry start" to protect the things.

In this respect, the internal condition of the bearings is practically, but not exactly, like an ordinary start up of the mighty mill. We all, with good habits, let the mill warm up gently for a few minutes before we get rough with it. I know I take it very easy with an engine which just had an oil change with filture.

Final point. Bottom line, in my view, is that is makes no PRACTICAL difference if one chooses to fill up a new oil fiture or not after an oil change. You choice, you decision. Funny how enonomy of scale may affect my thinking. When we changed the lube oil in a luxery yacht, yeah, we filled up the multiple oil fitures. $100 grand Detroit Diesels. Go figure.

*key*
    filture=filter
    gage=gauge
    you=your

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Just listen to the engine after an oil change with and without oil in the filter.

Sounds a lot smoother if you pour some oil in the filter first.
    Common sense should kick in at that point, some where along the line...
    Given it installs straight up I start pouring oil in the filter as soon as I start the job & let it soak in good.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information