Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fill the oil filter: fact or myth?

This is a discussion on Fill the oil filter: fact or myth? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by x-40oz-x should you fill the oil filter up with oil before you put it on? I always ...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    should you fill the oil filter up with oil before you put it on?

I always do, but at this new garage i work in with 1 other mechanic he says "its a waste of time, just a myth and pointless.
    I would not listen to anything else he tells you if he seriously told you that!!

He is full of shit!! I don't care if he is 50 and has 40 cars.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Have any of you guys seen the air/oil tank that has a few quart capacity that you release every time before starting a engine.. you air it up like a tire and with a valve it releases for a "wet start"

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes it's called a accumulator. And we have them on many of the race cars motors. Moroso makes a nice one that we usually use it holds 3 quarts of oil and fills itself back up after the motor is started with the oil pressure.

"The Moroso Accumulator is an engine saving add-on to any high performance oiling system. It is designed to provide oil pressure should the normal engine oil pressure drop below the optimum operating level during hard acceleration, severe cornering or hard braking or when oil surges away from the oil pump pickup. #710-23930 is a vertical, gravity fed unit designed for small-displacement light-duty applications. #710-23900 is a pressurized version intended for competition use and features an air pressure gauge, cold start valve and free-floating piston which allows for versatile mounting. Mounting bracket kit available separately."

Very cheap $190 insurance on a $15-30,000 motor.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I thought about getting one for mine just to keep it kicking to around 200,000 miles... I just noticed i finally got 1,000 posts.. w00t..

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I thought about getting one for mine just to keep it kicking to around 200,000 miles... I just noticed i finally got 1,000 posts.. w00t..
    It will aid specially if the car sits for a day or so. There is a smaller one you can get that would be perfect for your application.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23930/10002/-1

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    I would not listen to anything else he tells you if he seriously told you that!!

He is full of shit!! I don't care if he is 50 and has 40 cars.
    don't worry, i don't listen to him.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by x-40oz-x View Post
    don't worry, i don't listen to him.
    Good glad to hear!! Some get the wrong ideas planted in their head's and pass it along making more idiots out there. LOL

white
    2002 B4C

Here's another oil filter trick you can debate: Put large industrial magnet on filter...drive car till it's time to replace oil & filter. Take magnet off after removing old filter. Cut the old filter and look at all the metal shavings that were magnetically attracted and decide if you want that crap going through your motor. Put magnet on new filter and drive One other interesting project I have used is; instead of a catch can use a PVC jar. You don't have to use a glass jar, but it won't break if you do. I have one on my Camaro now. I didn't see any gas mileage improvements, but the crap that would have gone through the motor...well again try it for yourself and then decide: http://tteedd.hostsnake.com/pvc.html

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I took out a few hard drive magnents and stick them to my filter.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

lol how long does it take to poor the oil in the filter? a whole 15-30 secconds?? haha
    M6, Lid, Ported and Polished Throttle Body (By Me!), LT, Custom Catted Y, Electric Cutout, PHB, LCA13.21@108 with a 2.3 60'

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Almost all the wear on your critical internals are at start up. FACT.
    Filling the oil filter reduces the time it takes to presurizes the oiling system. FACT
    The mechanic that told you this is a dumbass. FACT
    where talking about oil and filters and SARGE has spoken.......case is closed

The mechanic you told you it is not necessary it absolutely right. It is not necessary, but is a good idea. The most expensive and complex engines in the world don't allow you to fill the oil filter before installation. If you've got a traditionally mounted style spin on filter, go ahead and fill it, it won't take but a few seconds extra. If the filter mounts on its side or upside down, or if you have a cartridge style filter, don't.

There are some that like to drain their oil so they can analyze the amount of copper in the oil, zinc in the oil, sand in their vagina, etc. Others just maintain their engine with regular oil changes and dry oil filters, and have 200K-300K miles on their original engine to show for it

And to those who say filling the oil filter on a diesel is a must or it won't start: stop living in 1970. I change oil on 6.0L Powerstrokes often, and NEVER fill the oil filter. They start fine

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have always filled the filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled;1376072 One other interesting project I have used is; instead of a catch can use a PVC jar. You don't have to use a glass jar, but it won't break if you do. I have one on my Camaro now. I didn't see any gas mileage improvements, but the crap that would have gone through the motor...well again try it for yourself and then decide: [url
    http://tteedd.hostsnake.com/pvc.html[/url]
    Looks like a catch can to me, only made out of a jar instead. Why not just buy a catch can?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    The mechanic you told you it is not necessary it absolutely right. It is not necessary, but is a good idea. The most expensive and complex engines in the world don't allow you to fill the oil filter before installation. If you've got a traditionally mounted style spin on filter, go ahead and fill it, it won't take but a few seconds extra. If the filter mounts on its side or upside down, or if you have a cartridge style filter, don't.

There are some that like to drain their oil so they can analyze the amount of copper in the oil, zinc in the oil, sand in their vagina, etc. Others just maintain their engine with regular oil changes and dry oil filters, and have 200K-300K miles on their original engine to show for it

And to those who say filling the oil filter on a diesel is a must or it won't start: stop living in 1970. I change oil on 6.0L Powerstrokes often, and NEVER fill the oil filter. They start fine

that is a powerstroke, not a cummins. the oil filter on the cummins has a feed line right to the turbo after the filter, so-it is just longer wear on the bearings in the turbo. its personal preference i guess

white
    2002 B4C

PCV vs Catch can

They are very different. The PCV Jar is much more efficient and is guaranteed to let hydrocarbons be redirected back to the intake while sludge, H2O (and less amount of oil - but some) are condensed by the copper or glass in the secondary jar and left to collect. Try them both, as I did, and then try to tell me they work the same. Unfortunately the PCV cannister will require more maintenance, but WORTH IT! If you need proof and a second opinion I'd be more than happy to let someone try the next one I build. Eventually I'll get a machine shop to design a billet or aluminum can instead of the jar...but it works and it is a whole lot cheaper. If you build one or two yourself and run it against a catch can you'll really understand what is going on and how screwed our motors and the environment get with bullshit current PCV systems. So run a catch can against a PCV jar/cannister to see which provides improved emissions

I spelled PVC instead of PCV on posts and the actual link...sorry for confusion. I get confused after sucking up to many hydrocarbons .

white
    2002 B4C

Of course it helps to put oil in the filter, your just "priming" the oil system. But after that motor sits for a while gravity pulls most of the oil from the valves and cylinders into the oil pan. Whenever you turn over the motor, even without it running, you're damaging it. They have electric priming pumps that will help. I like the idea of turning the motor over without starting it to prime it, this keeps RPMs lower, hmmmm got me thinking.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Boys and Girls,
    For all of you who are telling the world "it aint no big deal" not to pre fill the oil filter as it only takes 5 seconds anyway........here is a little experiment for you.....
    Next oil change....pre fill your new filter to the top....wait 30 seconds.....where did all the oil go?! It is gone. It was soaked up into the element......sorta blows the 5 second "theory" doesnt it?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

And as for the magnets. We always use a magnetic drain plug as that is where most of the metal particles stay anyway. I always use a quart of el cheapo oil to "flush" my motors anyway during an oil change and let it drain until it stops dripping. This flushes out the shit accumulating in the bottom of the pan. But I cannot argue the magnets do seem to trap particles so I am all for that man

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

yay

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Ive always drive the car at least 10 miles and let everything get up to op. temp.. Then after slightly cooling I drain the oil and run new crap oil(about a quart) to get the rest of the gunk out..till it pours clear...
    Woot

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Boys and Girls,
    For all of you who are telling the world "it aint no big deal" not to pre fill the oil filter as it only takes 5 seconds anyway........here is a little experiment for you.....
    Next oil change....pre fill your new filter to the top....wait 30 seconds.....where did all the oil go?! It is gone. It was soaked up into the element......sorta blows the 5 second "theory" doesnt it?
    Yep, thats why I start filling the filter first thing. Top it off,,,,put car on lift,,,,top it off,,,,drain oil,,,,,top it off,,,,remove old filter,,,,top it off,,,,grease u-joints and suspension,,,,top it off (should be full by now),,,check air in tires,,,,top it off,,,,install new filter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information