Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Fill the oil filter: fact or myth?

This is a discussion on Fill the oil filter: fact or myth? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I could be wrong but it seems to me that the oil that gets pumped around the motor comes from ...

red
    1999 trans am convert

I could be wrong but it seems to me that the oil that gets pumped around the motor comes from the oil pan not the filter.The filter is just one more place the oil gets pumped to-there are no moving parts in the filter to wear on startup.Now the idea of disableing ignition and cranking to get oil around sounded like a very good idea at first until it occured to me that all the oil drains back into the pan EVERY time you turn it off so it seems pointless.So I'm kinda thinking it's myth.

Quote Originally Posted by edbird View Post
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that the oil that gets pumped around the motor comes from the oil pan not the filter.The filter is just one more place the oil gets pumped to-there are no moving parts in the filter to wear on startup.Now the idea of disableing ignition and cranking to get oil around sounded like a very good idea at first until it occured to me that all the oil drains back into the pan EVERY time you turn it off so it seems pointless.So I'm kinda thinking it's myth.
    Well when you fire a brand new engine you prime the oil pump right??? At least I hope everyone is. Thats common practice. The oil drains back here too,,,,and sometimes you won't start the engine for 30 minutes or more after this procedure depending on how fast you can reinstall a distributor and index it. But it's recommended from about any engine builder you talk to.
    Kinda the same idea with a fresh oil change.

Ya the oil drains back,,,,but you don't let the car sit for 10 minutes before you actually fire the engine.

On the older cars, pull the coil wire, crank until you see the gauge move, plug coil wire back in (takes 5 seconds),,,then start car.
    The oil pressure gauge immediately jumps to life. Much better than a dry start where the oil pressure gauge may not move for several seconds.
    I here that awfull death rattle in some engines without this procedure. When that motor flares up to 1500 rpms on startup, theres no oil pressure for several seconds,,,,,eeeeek.

On a car where there is no coil wire like the LS motors, just simply pull the ignition fuse,,,,crank,,,,, put fuse back in and start. It's easy.

Since it take several seconds to build oil pressure, I want to do it in a slow 2-300 rpm crank,,,,,rather than having the engine flare to 1500 rpms and settle to 1,000 rpms with no oil pressure, waiting for the gauge to move. Depending on the oil path of the engine in question, and where the oil pressure sensor is located, it may show pressure before the oil has circulated everywhere. I would have to check the GM manual on the LS motor to see,,,,but for instance,,,

On a bigblock chevy, the oil travels along the driver side oil pan rail first and lubes the mains,,,,then travels up to the camshaft bearings from the rear near the distributor and starts with the rear of the camshaft and works forward from there, then of course it has to run up every pushrod and lube the rockers etc.... Well most bigblock chevys have the oil sending unit down by the filter/oil pan rail area, (all 3 of mine do) so you can actually start showing oil pressure and still not have oil up top yet. We are only talking a matter of seconds, but thats where most of your engine wear comes from,,,,on start up. Just piece of mind to me I guess.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    whoops my bad, i should of said warmed, I never new about that it was bad to change the engine cold, but thanks,

with todays modern oil the Startup damage is slightly reduced, has anyone tried lucas?

its all good, yeah, you need to change your oil hot becauseall the little impurities are still floating around and come out with the oil. they dont have time to sink down to the bottom of the pan and hide and stay in there and contaminate your new oil

well, you kinda are wrong. the first place your oil goes after leaving the pump is the oil filter, so since your oil filter is already full of oil it doesnt have to fill up and it can go on to lube your engine.

then you might say: well what about every startup. well, simple: oil filters have antidrain back valves in them so it is full all the time after being shut off so its always primed at every start up.

hopefully it will clear it up a lil

Silver
    2013 Infiniti G37

I fill mine.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Ive always drive the car at least 10 miles and let everything get up to op. temp.. Then after slightly cooling I drain the oil and run new crap oil(about a quart) to get the rest of the gunk out..till it pours clear...
    me too I always drive the car to go get the oil then drive back kill two birds with one stone, never though of pouring cheap oil in there do you really see it push some gunk out or just the last of the dirty oil, and I use royal purple so will the thin film left in there effect the color of the cheap oil?

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

I dont on an Fbody

never hurts.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Dont think so. I bought a 15 gallon pail of RP when it first came out. It was like 125 bucks. I changed peoples oil for like 30 bucks.. made a hell of a profit.. it comes out clean

red
    1999 trans am convert

well, you kinda are wrong. the first place your oil goes after leaving the pump is the oil filter, so since your oil filter is already full of oil it doesnt have to fill up and it can go on to lube your engine.
    Well,if this is the oil distribution on an LS1,then I can certainly see the need to fill the filter first-and will do so on future oil changes!Thanks for the info!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    me too I always drive the car to go get the oil then drive back kill two birds with one stone, never though of pouring cheap oil in there do you really see it push some gunk out or just the last of the dirty oil, and I use royal purple so will the thin film left in there effect the color of the cheap oil?
    I think so. Try draining your oil and when it's about done, dump a qt of cheap stuff in. You'll see more gunk for another two minutes and then it will be clean oil coming out. I figured it's worth the extra buck five...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Well,if this is the oil distribution on an LS1,then I can certainly see the need to fill the filter first-and will do so on future oil changes!Thanks for the info!
    yeah bud! every engine that i know of the pump sends the oil to the filter first. i'm sure there might be some engine different but that is where it goes. just a lil peace of mind

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

ive started an engine with no oil in it before

after draining the oil, i figured it would be easier to back it off the ramps to fill it. ran for a few seconds.

when you change your oil, there is still oil on the valvetrain and bearings, so a second or two to fill the filter hurts nothing.

this is why you almost never see a tech or mechanic fill one on an oil change.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

My dad is a ASE mastertech and he does..

Remember the 6 P's...

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

My dad is a ASE mastertech and he does..
    the he is the only one ive ever heard of to.

we discussed this in college, with several SAE master techs as instructors.

2001 M6 SS - few mods...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

When he was working he didnt. time was money... At home its a different story..

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

gotcha.

all comes down to personal preference.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I am going to fill mine from now on. I am already putting oil around the oil filter gasket with my finger why not fill the filter while I am at it? I really didnt think about doing it until I read this.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    ive started an engine with no oil in it before

after draining the oil, i figured it would be easier to back it off the ramps to fill it. ran for a few seconds.

when you change your oil, there is still oil on the valvetrain and bearings, so a second or two to fill the filter hurts nothing.

this is why you almost never see a tech or mechanic fill one on an oil change.
    I back mine off the ramps too but with the car in nuetral and not started.

Sinister, SixGun
    2001 SS, 2002 L36 M5

I only did it once, didn't actually move the car either, it ran for 3-5 seconds until i realized i was a retard.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Fury_786 View Post
    I only did it once, didn't actually move the car either, it ran for 3-5 seconds until i realized i was a retard.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I guess your keeping it on its toes

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information