Thread: FI or all motor

silver
    2002 Trans Am ws6

FI or all motor

i have a stock 02 ws6. Wanting about 500 hp DD. FI or all motor? If so what parts? Turbo or Supercharger?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

for a DD with those numbers, FI without a doubt.

most of the guys here will say a Procharger(supercharger) system, I agree.

also welcome to the site

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

you will learn young cock roach i mean grassa hoppa that there is much more to you question than just the simple answer you seek?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Procharger with supporting mods would be best I think and most cost effective.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    Procharger with supporting mods would be best I think and most cost effective.
    6K na not that cost effective in my mind. Then again best and easiest way to 500 HP yes. But then you must look at the cost from the install and possiblly a simple mistake or something being made in which you melt you engine together. OP in how i understand things is this HP at the crank or the rear wheel HP i am sure that you would be more than happy with H/C/I/E/T and gears in the rear (still spend less than a SC or Turbo and become really close or surpass what you want. Possibly more reliable as a dayly driver. Not going to be gas saver but will get you noticed which is what i am guessing is what you want a 500 HP car for?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    6K na not that cost effective in my mind. Then again best and easiest way to 500 HP yes. But then you must look at the cost from the install and possiblly a simple mistake or something being made in which you melt you engine together.
    prochargers are fairly straight forward installations, can be easier than a Cam/rods/springs/lifters/all that other fun stuff that goes with. usually dont push enough psi to cause a busted piston or anything like that.

OP in how i understand things is this HP at the crank or the rear wheel HP i am sure that you would be more than happy with H/C/I/E/T and gears in the rear (still spend less than a SC or Turbo and become really close or surpass what you want. Possibly more reliable as a dayly driver. Not going to be gas saver but will get you noticed which is what i am guessing is what you want a 500 HP car for?
    for 500rwhp a Heads/Cam/Intake car will be a street pounding, deep loping monster, ideal for a drag car, but not a daily driver. a set of heads for those numbers can cost half of what an FI system is, add a cam, lifters, rods, oilpump, and intake designed for the same power and youre at the same price.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    prochargers are fairly straight forward installations, can be easier than a Cam/rods/springs/lifters/all that other fun stuff that goes with. usually dont push enough psi to cause a busted piston or anything like that.

for 500rwhp a Heads/Cam/Intake car will be a street pounding, deep loping monster, ideal for a drag car, but not a daily driver. a set of heads for those numbers can cost half of what an FI system is, add a cam, lifters, rods, oilpump, and intake designed for the same power and youre at the same price.
    so you take a car that is already at 350 HPand put a 2K head cam Pack on it an then put a fast or a Ls6 intake minus rods and springs because they come in the 2K package anyway and then put some good headers and a cat back and you are still under the 6K minimum of a SC. Alot more work but worth it in my view. SC is easier and when asked what you did to it is say SC and your done or say H/C/I/E/Tune/Gears. Choice is yours.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I don't know that I would use the term, "easier" when talking about FI..

There will be a whole slew of noteable mods to list when doing FI..

Trust me..

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

and if you want to get to super car numbers like 600 or more HP then its probably cheaper and easier to just buy the engine than mod it. but then again whats the fun in that.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I'd have to go with Justin on this one. PC/SC set up vs advance H/C/I will garnish about the same gains if you want it to which isn't what's in debate here. Point being, he wants a DD, not something that lopes to all hell with terrible mpg. The feeling alone while driving it is much different. You're going to need supporting mods either which way, and while a H/C/I will be reliable, as long as you're not pushing too much it's no biggie.
    2002 Black/Ebony M6 WS6: Lid, Filter, Smooth Bellow, P&P TB (!Bump Stop), Magnaflow Cat-Back (dumped after the axle), 4.10s, Hypertech ME Tune, eibach springs 4/4, LCA relocating brackets, PHB, free mods, 17" TTMs.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My FI Procharger build ran WAY over 6K...

Boost/vac gauge, wideband A/F gauge, fuel pump, injectors, hardened push rods, valve springs, methonal kit (if you're smart about it), FMIC, damper, tensionser bracket, air inlet, bypass valve, etc etc etc etc...

You guys aren't even including the cost of suspension, transmission, clutch if M6, rear end or anything else to be able to support 500HP or more.

You just don't throw 500HP under the hood and call it a day

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My FI Procharger build ran WAY over 6K...

Boost/vac gauge, wideband A/F gauge, fuel pump, injectors, hardened push rods, valve springs, methonal kit (if you're smart about it), FMIC, damper, tensionser bracket, air inlet, bypass valve, etc etc etc etc...

You guys aren't even including the cost of suspension, transmission, clutch if M6, rear end or anything else to be able to support 500HP or more.

You just don't throw 500HP under the hood and call it a day
    I agree,that goes for both NA and FI, so unless he wants to blow his rear I'd suggest doing the suspension and drivetrain mods first and then decide which way to go from there. Personally if I was going to do horsepower mods I would go with items that are going to produce big numbers either way. To me it is pointless to do a hp mod if it isn't going to net you the power you want or help you get there. But seriously there are a whole slew of mods you should really do first before you do a head and cam swap or FI.

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

All this info is correct. Bottom line is, you're going to need suspension and supporting mods either way. The thing in question to the OP from what I gather is which is better suited for a DD and I suggest FI over NA. Either way OP, make sure you do it right because I don't wanna see more 'totaled' threads on here nor more importantly an injured person one :P. Be safe, spend some coin, and enjoy it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Consider everything that's been said here..

Look through the FI forums here, there are some very insightfull threads there..

Dig into the research of FI, sure you can slap a blower/spool/s on it as is many folks do..

But you WILL want more..

Stock componts can't always cut it.. Stuff starts to break and you could be done before you really got started..

Things that may break your wallet (depending on your means) right now, today...

So I guess the question is,, what are your goals?

Besides the added power..

Are you going to track this car often?

Lowered?

Mods?

10 bolt prolly won't last long..

IMHO "cheap" and "Hp" don't cross paths...
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO "cheap" and "Hp" don't cross paths...
    Very true!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OP - if you want to DD this car, have a lot of power, and still have great street manners...the best approach is a centrifugal supercharger.

This is why the Procharger is among the most sold and popular SC on the market. It is a great design and has been proven to last.

With a centrifugal SC you don't start making boost until around 3K, which is perfect because you don't want to be spinning your tires out of the gate.

The other benefit is, you get the same to better gas mileage just cruising around town with it.

The downfall to any FI build (turbo or sc) is it is expensive.

Can you hit 500rwhp on a NA LS1? Yes you can, but you are going to need some damn good flowing heads, a FAST intake, and a pretty aggressive cam to do so. You'll also need an awesome tune to make that huge cam tolerable to drive around town as a DD.

Just my opinion

As far as turbo vs SC...that's a debate that will never end.

In my humble opinion, turbo cars are for the track and supercharger cars are for the street. If you do decide on a turbo, get a front mount. KY turbo has a nice set-up that is a T76 trim using a Turbonetics head unit that is designed for LS1's.

Keep us posted!

Thread Information