Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Female needs help w/Engine Fan noise!

This is a discussion on Female needs help w/Engine Fan noise! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by keliente Hmmm a high pitched whistling noise for the first 2-3 minutes when you start the car? ...

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    Hmmm a high pitched whistling noise for the first 2-3 minutes when you start the car?

Sounds like normal operation of the air pump to me! Did you really look to see if the fans were running?

Also what does being a female have to do with needing help?

First thought was the Air Pump too.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    My money is on a "pollution control" component....I've seen squealing PCV valves/air pumps ( like Keliente pointed out).....vacum pressure building up and it goes away and the fans keep running is a key here....
    It's not even abnormal. Just the way the air pump is, it always makes that high pitched whistling/whining noise

No . It's assumed

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Man I was glad when I got to Severe's post about the AIR pump, I'd bet $$$ against it being a fan, it's the air pump you hear when you start the car.

LS1chris, nice lesson. Here's one -we have two speed fans, not two fans with different speeds. both operate at low speed until it gets too hot or the a/c is on at which point both of them speed up. When someone points out the truth you should just learn from it rather than re-posting your wrong information
    p.s. it comes on at 196 not 176
    and where did this come from?
    A/C compressor can explode easy. Like if you have a A4 and set the cruise control, bump the transmission in netural.
    The RPM will rise rapidly and the compressor will explode throwing a chuck off of it and spraying freon out. Happened to someone here on ls1.com, not me.
    maybe it did happen to someone, but "a/c compressor can explode easily" come on dude. . .

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

Hey sounds like mine.

When the car is cold it will not do it. When its warm and I start it up I get a high pitched sound for a bit. I can hear the normal zing of the air pump but this is something different. I think it is the other pump making the noise. One day I'll have to get under there and track it down. It sounds a lot like a pc fan that is going bad.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    LS1chris, nice lesson. Here's one -we have two speed fans, not two fans with different speeds. both operate at low speed until it gets too hot or the a/c is on at which point both of them speed up. When someone points out the truth you should just learn from it rather than re-posting your wrong information
    p.s. it comes on at 196 not 176
    and where did this come from?

maybe it did happen to someone, but "a/c compressor can explode easily" come on dude. . .
    Go and jack up your front end of the car after it's been sitting for the night, and start the engine then watch the fans.

Before the engine gets to operating temp, turn on the A/C, you will see only the passgener side's fan will turn on and it blows out alot of air, use caution while feeling for it because you're in danger of either your fingers going into the fan blades and the engine belts plus the A/C compressor which is on the opposite side.

Now after observing this, turn off the A/C before the engine reaches operating temp.

When the engine reaches operating temp, only the driver's side turns on. The passgener side won't yet unless the A/C is on or the engine temp is gonna go past operating temp.
    They both don't operate at low speed. Go and turn on the A/C again with the engine at operating temp, you will feel the passgener side blows more air out than the driver's side.

I have my low speed fan come on at 176, not the factory set temp.

Don't believe me about the A/C compressor exploding? leave the A/C running for a while and on the highway, shift into netural and rev the engine like crazy.
    It's your risk, I'm not paying a penny if you did blow the compressor up.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

you're entitled your your own opinion, but rest assured, if its hot I will have my a/c on, and if someone wants to race I won't tell them I can't because I'm afraid my ac will blow up because it's been running all day while you are talking about testing it, how about you go out turn your a/c on a rev the piss out of it to see what lasts longer your a/c compressor or your engine, cause I'll put my life savings on the a/c

my fans both come on, and they both run high speed with the a/c
    I choose not to jack my car up and lay under it while it runs

Black

you're entitled your your own opinion, but rest assured, if its hot I will have my a/c on, and if someone wants to race I won't tell them I can't because I'm afraid my ac will blow up because it's been running all day while you are talking about testing it, how about you go out turn your a/c on a rev the piss out of it to see what lasts longer your a/c compressor or your engine, cause I'll put my life savings on the a/c

Whatever, I don't race with my A/C on. All it takes is a simple turn of the knob to turn it off.

I have seen how the fans operate by working under the car with it running to troubleshoot a leak under pressure.

its the AIR pumpinhousen

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Don't forget, the A/C will turn off @ WOT.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I wonder what happened to the original poster? She probably gave up on a straight answer. A/C compressor blowing up??? If you get an over pressure situation,engine really hot on a hot day,or a blockage problem in the system,there is a safety valve that can pop off excess freon. It's a fairly violent sounding and looking thing-I've seen it happen before. Anyway-I'm going with the air pump (normally sounds more like a vacuum cleaner to me),Or the fan motor going out. But honestly someone is going to have to look at it that can diagnose this better,some things cannot be diagnosed over the internet accurately. And IMHO-a girl can work on cars just as well as a guy,just depends on the person.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I even double checked today...both fans come on for low speed and both speed up for high speed. So LS1Chris...if you only have 1 fan coming on you might have a prob with the other fan and/or relay

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert
    Don't forget, the A/C will turn off @ WOT.
    Doesn't always work as fast as it needs to, it could be that the person which had his A/C explode from the cruise control netural bump accident had a faulty WOT switch.
    He said he went under the car after hearing an explosion and cool air wasn't coming in, only to see the compressor internals still rotating with freon shooting out of it.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn

I even double checked today...both fans come on for low speed and both speed up for high speed. So LS1Chris...if you only have 1 fan coming on you might have a prob with the other fan and/or relay
    I'll double check tomorrow and see. I'm 100% sure both does come on at operating temp with the A/C on.
    What year is yours?

pewter metallic
    2002 SS Camaro

Red face

I have to apologize first for not being able to respond before now to all your replies, my computer was on the fritz and I could not access my email or websites to thank each and everyone of you for trying to help me with my car situation.

It was the Air pump on the front of the car. I do appreciate all your your quick responses.

I do feel I need to address SevereDistortion for the comment that was made for me stating I was a "female....". I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. I was totally shocked and offened by that response. I needed a quick response and thought that I would get knowledgeable anwers quick. Which I did. Some of us women do need men to help us with out with cars.!!

You guys (and gals) are great, keep up the good replies to those who need your expertise and help!! Thanks again

her ss
    Louisiana

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Thank you for getting back to us-nice response. Without you being able to reply the thing kinda got off topic-that happens here alot-lol. Hope this helped in some manner and don't worry about offending people, I wasn't.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by her ss
    It was the Air pump on the front of the car. I do appreciate all your your quick responses.

I do feel I need to address SevereDistortion for the comment that was made for me stating I was a "female....". I did not mean to offend you or anyone else. I was totally shocked and offened by that response. I needed a quick response and thought that I would get knowledgeable anwers quick. Which I did. Some of us women do need men to help us with out with cars.!!
    I didn't mean to offend you..."attention whore" is just a term used on the net...I wasn't calling you a whore or anything Anyway, glad to hear you found the problem or at least the cause of the noise

Med. Dark Purple Metallic

If any or all of the possibilities you guys have given her are really possible (or likely) on an F-body -- or any GM product, for that matter --- then this former-GM-muscle-collector-now-trouble-free-Toyota-owner is going to stick to his slow, but reliable Supra. LOL!

Despite the fact that 4th-gens are now so dirt-cheap that I saw a '97 Z/28 convertible today for $6,000!!!

Sebring Silver
    98 Z28

mine does the same thing and i need to replace the driver side fan. though it still operates fine it squeeks . my car has never come close to overheating and still runs between 165-180

Sebring Silver
    98 Z28

oh and my air pump whistles at all the ladies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information