Extended warranty!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Extended warranty!!!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Ok, here we go. I've had my 'bird for about a year now. Thankfully for the extended warranty that for ...

Arctic White
    2000 Formula

Extended warranty!!!!!!

Ok, here we go. I've had my 'bird for about a year now. Thankfully for the extended warranty that for some reason I actually purchased....not normal for me.

so far in the year I have had the BCM replaced, all of the weather stripping on the t-tops, driveshaft(1 month after buying), orings on oil pump, pulley, the dealer has also had the car 2 other times prior to replacing the BCM for battery drain. The car has also been to the dealer 2 times for engine knock. Diagnosed as piston slap by the dealer where it was purchased.

Well I decided to take my car to a different dealer this time for a new problem. I lost faith in the previous dealer when they glued my t-tops on the first time they had it for leaks.

The preliminary diagnosis is the pinion bearings, won't know for sure until they open up the rear... Other dealer said it was normal. I think for now on, any shop that tells me its normal is giving that diagnosis in writing.

How bad can it get?

oh I forgot to mention this dealer wants to pull the motor, they say its not piston slap that it is rod bearings based on the sound and pressure readings.

10,000 miles/1 year left on the warranty. What else can I get fixed before I start modding? Or should I just blow it up now and start over?

NBM
    2000 WS6

Extended warranty!!!!!! On a soon to be 8 year old car.. God bless ya..............
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

Arctic White
    2000 Formula

well I picked it up off of a dealer. Was a good price, straight frame no accidents in history report. My inner voice said buy a warranty, so I listened.

But believe me its been a nightmare trying to get the work done. They accused me of street racing when the driveshaft broke.

Here's a good mental picture..... Your t-tops don't leak all winter after having a leak repaired at the end of the fall.

First nice spring day, you lift up the top and find all sorts of stringy black glue flying all over the interior and exterior of your car.

They did detail my car after that one.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Dave View Post

But believe me its been a nightmare trying to get the work done. They accused me of street racing when the driveshaft broke.
    Guess thats where I was going when I said that..........

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I bought my car 1 year ago too. I bought the extended warranty. About 6 months ago my rearend went out. $1500 in damage, but only had to pay 50 bucks. Love that warranty!

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I know what you mean about loving warranties. I had a bent push rod which was fixed by the dealer for around $2,400. I only had to pay $50 because of my Carmax warranty. But believe me, I will never buy a warranty through carmax again. I didn't find out that they were going to cover the repairs until it was finished. They look for the slightest thing to say it's not covered. For two and a half weeks I was stressing about having to come up with the money. I am certainly glad it was covered.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Well a couple months ago 3 valve springs broke, now they could have just replaced them, but the place i had my warrenty through said the dealship needed to find the cause. They couldnt so a new ls1 was put in my car.

Silver
    2000 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

how do u get an extended warranty? can u get it if you bought it thru a person not a dealer?

Arctic White
    2000 Formula

mine is also the Carmax warranty and its not at Carmax for the repairs. I refuse to let them touch my car after they glued my t-top shut.

The last time they had my car for the engine knock/tap they said it was standard piston slap and gave me print outs of the notice.

I will never buy anything from Carmax again.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

most of these aftermarket warrenty places go out of business.
    if you going to do any extended warrenty, go only threw gm.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

white
    2002 z28

i got mine 30,000 mile warrenty for 800 threw a chyrsler dealer. ( bought from used chrsyler dealer) and from what GM repair shop said its the best bc they they wont mess around since its not there bills.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Formula Dave View Post
    mine is also the Carmax warranty and its not at Carmax for the repairs. I refuse to let them touch my car after they glued my t-top shut.

The last time they had my car for the engine knock/tap they said it was standard piston slap and gave me print outs of the notice.

I will never buy anything from Carmax again.
    I will probably shop there again, just will buy a newer car that is still within factory warranty. I had a great shopping experience, just hate their mechanics.

And as greatwhiteZ28 said. GM Mechanics are great!! GM did my engine repairs when I somehow bent the push rod (I baby my engine). They didn't mess around. They got me all new springs and also replaced a bunch of sensors.

Arctic White
    2000 Formula

Just in case anyone was curious, here's an update on my warranty issue, still in process...

The Pontiac dealer did not start with the rear end yet, we are still working on the so called piston slap that Carmax said was standard a ways back (about 10k mi)....they gave me a copy of the GM notice.

The mechanic has pulled the motor... it appears that cylinder #1 has gone ttthhhhhpppp... the mechanic claims to have spoken with the GM tech line and they said that it does happen with the 2000 LS1's from time to time to rebuild the cylinder piston etc.... The dealer quoted a price of $2700.

We have given all information to the Carmax warranty company Maxcare? The inspector is suppose to visit the dealer in the time being, they have request for me to provide all receipts for maintenance work on the car. Hopefully they accept my receipts for oil and filters with mileage written on them. Everything has been faxed, I really don't have a warm fuzzy feeling on this one.

Hopefully I get an answer on this soon. The sad part is, if I raced the car I wouldn't feel bad at all, but its just a cruise around the highway type deal since I've owned it, no strip, no street racing etc.

Maybe thats the problem, need to drive it harder?

Thread Information