Thread: Exploding T top

Black
    '02 TA WS6

Exploding T top

So I'm cruising down the freeway last Friday when the driver side T top explodes. I know what your thinking rock, no the closest vehicle was a van a 100 yards ahead of me, no there was no overpasses I was traveling under. It was the craziest thing it absolutely blew up. It exploded just above my head, initially I thought I was being shot at. The only conclusion I could come up with I was hit by an incoming meteorite or some idiot shot off his gun into the air and it came down and hit me. I was driving near a ghetto.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before???meteor strike.jpg

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that is crazy. Never heard of one blowing up like that but it's possible I guess. My best guesses would be something off the van ( depending on speed) because at 65-70mph 100 yards ain't shit.....at 65 you're traveling a little over 30 yards a second. A rock or bolt slung off a van will easily bounce for that long....it would take a bad hop to get it that high though 3 seconds later I would think but definitely not impossible.
    The other guess would be the top was on a bind in there and maybe a bump or dip in the road cause enough flex in the chassis to shatter it. Tempered glass is tougher than regular glass and in case of an accident it's also safer because it doesn't break.....it explodes into tiny pieces. I have a picture of an old ford my dad had back in the late 50's. Someone pulled out in front of him and mom's head went through the windshield. There was a perfect hole there where her head went through and it cut her head right down the middle. Tempered glass doesn't do that. Front windshields now have a layer that holds them together so not really a good example but you get the picture. That's probably my best guess and I'm also guessing you don't have subframe connectors?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Wow... That is crazy. I thought this was going to be another, my T-Top went flying threads.

Black
    '02 TA WS6

No, no sub frames. It wasn't anything from in front of me, at that moment I would of seen it. Flex in a bind would be possible but it was a smooth rode I was cruising down.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hmmm. Pic isn't working for me from the phone app.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Im no help either ..sorry....My only guess would be some sort of projectile like you said,some kid maybe shooting his slingshot or a stray bullet(but if so weres the frag?) sorry to hear that man!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

something definetly hit it, tempered glass would " crack " more than shatter if it was defective.

SteveC

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

bird shit....thats my guess.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I was Martian shit. We sent that rover to their planet to take pictures and now they are pissed. You got hit with Martian Shit dude. Sorry about the T-Top.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Talk to Obi Wan Kinobi, he will direct you in your quest. The force is strong with this one.

Sent using my telèfono

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Defective glass + AL heat??

Damn and I was bitching about my passenger mirror falling off Sat.

Good luck finding a new top./

Black
    '02 TA WS6

If it had been a month ago during the record heat that's what I would of thought, but it was a pretty nice day.

I was able to find one at a local junk yard that day luckily. Now I just have to get it tinted.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Glad you were able to find one.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Big brother strikes again. It was def a sound wave enhancing satellite used by the military. It produces a sonic wave designed to disrupt foreign militaries ability to communicate. The problem is that there is a Mustang loving idiot steering that thing. Lucky for you, he underestimated the speed of the WS6,(like every Mustang luver), and hit your t-top instead of your windshield(which he was surely aiming at, hoping to take out another damned TA).

Thread Information