Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Explaination of OEM PCV vs LS6 VCT Mod

This is a discussion on Explaination of OEM PCV vs LS6 VCT Mod within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Cutlass sticked this post! Huh?...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    sticked this post!
    Huh?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Huh?
    It's now a sticky so it's easy to find.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yes i am original owner Bought it (ordered it )10 mi on when i got it! No cracks,No leaks, No residue clean and dry.I do some hard launches and high revs but not to access or abuse. ALSO..how does one tell if they have an ls-1 or ls-6 block? ( I read the sticky on telling the difference between F-bodies and for my year it said ''some'' have ls-6 blocks.) Thanks...
    Wow nice to see someone keeping them from birth to present. What the write said was in 01' GM started phasing out the true LS1 blocks and phase in the LS6 blocks because they had better improvements in oiling and cooling of the block. All 02's < are LS6 blocks with LS1 internals.

Huh?
    This was to let everyone know that it was sticky in the tech threads. It was there but it may have dropped out during an upgrade to the site Your and mine recent post brought it back up to the top.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Wow nice to see someone keeping them from birth to present. What the write said was in 01' GM started phasing out the true LS1 blocks and phase in the LS6 blocks because they had better improvements in oiling and cooling of the block. All 02's < are LS6 blocks with LS1 internals.

This was to let everyone know that it was sticky in the tech threads. It was there but it may have dropped out during an upgrade to the site Your and mine recent post brought it back up to the top.
    Thanks for clarifying that info! I did read the posted sticky from Cutlass...it was very interesting and helpful!! Lots of info I never knew. Yeah i was going to get a 2001@ the end of the year (cheaper) BUT they couldnt locate the vehicle i wanted especially my ''must have'' * Sunset Metallic Orange color so the salesman suggested ordering an SS to my liking...So i did !! Of course ill never forget i was in the showroom ordering up my first new car on Sept 2001,about a week after the attacks! It was bitter sweet,here i am happy as hell ordering my car and being shook up by the 9/11 ordeal! I dont plan on ever selling it,even if i get another vehicle (someday) .I do have an `93 Acura willed to me to use as a get around car so i dont have to chance door dings and the like when going to the grocery store

Just did the block grinding today. Can't wait to get the valley cover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy Blue Metallic

Looks a little rough, make sure you smooth over those ridges. I used a dremil when I did mine.

I cut it with a dremel multi-tool, and smoothed it out more since the photo but it was slow going. Maybe I'm not using the right grinder on the dremel. I will be good with no interference on the new VC but it definitely doesn't look as clean as the others.

Navy Blue Metallic

Slow and steady is better than fast and FUBAR.....

I think if I remember right I took about 1-2 hrs making sure I cut it right and more importantly cleaned up right. All those shavings going into the block are very bad. I used a shop vac with my cutting to keep as much of it picked up. I treated it like surgery.

that should be good

Navy Blue Metallic

That edge on the top of the pic or the one towards the rear of the engine. Grind it smooth some more. A hard edge like that could facilitate a crack later on.

Damn. I thought you would say that. I was thinking it wasn't a high stress area like around the main and not a problem

Now I'm done! Hah

Navy Blue Metallic

Explaination of OEM PCV vs LS6 VCT Mod

Better, it's always best to side on caution.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Thanks. Did the underside of the manifold in DEI gold heat shield too. I need to get the blasted trans dipstick tube out of the way so I don't break the opsu again. I see you have a manual but any tips? Is it easy to get from the bottom if I jack it up?

SMWS6TA likes this.

Navy Blue Metallic

Looks good, now when you are done installing the knock sensors and harness, take a piece of masking tape and tape down the harness. That way when you install the intake it doesn't get dragged into the path of a runner and you burn out the harness. I may or may not have seen it happen.....

Wow. Thanks for all the advice- This is the biggest job I have undertaken on a newer emissions car. Now that we're on the topic of the knock sensors, does the harness run behind the oil pressure sensor or in front of it? I know somehow it gets clipped back on to a bracket on the intake. I'm going to try to get the intake on without moving the A4 dipstick tube, and without breaking the damn OPSU again!And if I may ask, do you know where to get those rectangular blue gaskets that go on the individual fuel injector harness connectors?

Navy Blue Metallic

The harness goes towards the rear of the block as you look at the opsu from the front, place it to the left of the opsu. That way there's little chance of it going across the cyl run.

That gasket....that's a new one for me....

Ok thanks a million

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information