2002 Camaro SS

Excessive Fuel Consumption

Ok, I've been in another forum but I wanted 2 get some input here as well. It's been quite a long topic so here's the gist. 02 Camaro ss w poor gas mileage. Changed upstreams, cleaned maf. Found out yesterday after pulling pigtail for sending unit, its not registering 240ohms. With full tank, AND I DO MEAN FULL TANK, gauge will not read past just below full and 224ohms.

Thank you.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Whats your MPG? Do you have excessive fuel consumption or is your guage not reading correctly? How many gallons are you putting in the car to "fill" it up? On a full tank If your checking for Ohms the value should be between 227 & 250.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

2002 Camaro SS

When my check gauges light comes on, it takes 11gal to fill up. With full tank, I read 224ohms. The gauge will read diff depending on which way the car faces in my driveway. 1 way, it won't even read full. The other way, it reads over full. That's like 1/8 tank variation. I could c this if the tank was 1/2 full, but not completely full.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

So it's a guage problem?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sulfer deposits on the fuel level sending units can cause issues. It has been recommened in the past to add Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner to your tank. If I recall, the instructions call for about 12 gallons of fuel in the tank and then run it until about gone. It may take more than one treatment to fully remedy the problem... if that is the issue. Compared to pulling the sending unit out of the tank, I would at least attempt this.

2002 Camaro SS

What about Seafoam

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The only fuel system cleaner that I know of that is designed to remove the sulfer deposits is Chevron Techron. I believe it even states so in the product literature. Seafoam is basically a high power solvent -- it's like dumping laquer thinner in your engine.

I had the same fuel gauge issues on my wifes car. I used Lucas Oil fuel treatment and it cured the problem.
    I like the Lucas fuel treatments because it doesn't have those harsh chemicals found in some of the other brands and also acts as a valvetrain lubricant. I just don't care to run stuff with the harsh solvents through my engines.

It took about 4 fillups with Lucas Fuel treatments and the fuel gauge has worked flawless ever since. I make it a regular practice to run Lucas fuel treatment through all the cars about every 4-5 fillups just to keep things running clean and lubricate the valvetrain.

2002 Camaro SS

I'll give that a shot. Thanks to all for the help. This is off topic, but don't the 4th gen SS's have a plaque on the passenger strut tower that has the production number on it? I KNOW when I 1st looked at this car it had a plaque on the strut tower. Now there Is just a hole where a screw or rivet is supposed to be. I think the guy removed the plaque as a momento. Y I have no idea, but I know I saw 1. The door sticker has the wu8 code and I have a letter given to people who buy SS's from GM, so I'm sure Its an SS, but if its supposed to have that plaque, I want it.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 02 CamaroSS View Post
    When my check gauges light comes on, it takes 11gal to fill up.
    Hmmm...I think my car takes about 13 gallons to fill up when it some wheres around 1/4 tank or a little less. And that before the "Check Gauges" light comes on. Maybe your gas tank isn't getting completely full???

2002 Camaro SS

The tank is definitely getting full because I tried 2 add some and it poured out of the filler neck.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

There are other possibilities for fuel spitback other than a full tank. If the tank can't vent air out properly while you're filling, the gas can spitback at you before its full. These cars come with a 16.8 gallon gas tank and if you're only able to put 11 gallons in it when the check gauges light comes on (roughly 1/16th tank full), then there might be a problem there.
    If you're able to disconnect the EVAP vent hose, then try to fill the tank, and it fills up better then that'll give us a direction to go.

Thread Information