Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ethanol fuel in the LS1 V8

This is a discussion on Ethanol fuel in the LS1 V8 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; all i'm pointing out is ALL efuels collect water,anytime they are exposed moisture.In the air,sitting in the gas companies vented ...

all i'm pointing out is ALL efuels collect water,anytime they are exposed moisture.In the air,sitting in the gas companies vented holding tanke etc....it is soaking up water.That is a fact.Now you mix that wioth bare carbon steel,YOU GOT RUST.The only reason i bring this up is because i;ve seen the damage in our fbodies and the newer trucks over and over and over.The dealers WILL NOT admit to this on any level,so talking to them about it is a waste of time.Call Mikey at Rapid notor Sports,he's worked on 1000's of these cars.He has seen is too many times and while i talked to him about what happened to ours he qouted "i see that all the time,its very common"
    I took my wifes ta to the local dealer to have the lines changed hoping gm would foot the bill if one of their dealers would admit( because they did the work there)the lines were bad.I wanted all the old parts saved.When we picked her car up i said to the service manager SO fuel lines looked very bad huh? HE REFUSED ANY COMMENTS ON IT.I asked him again...don't you think those lines were badly damaged from something? HE JUST CLAMMED UP.No comment no NOTHING.Now on the newer trucks having the same trouble he admitted to it being a big problem.In fact he told me they stock the complete fuel line assembies abd injectors for the trucks so they can fix them faster.

ERIC you can pull your injectors and have the screens replaced which will solve the problem.If rust is your problem,you won't know until someone inspects the complete fuel system.I can tell you from experiance if rust is the trouble you will need 1 fuel bucket assembly,1 fuel line assembly,1 fuel rail,1 fuel filter,ALL the soft fuel lines( the ends are plated steel but the Efuel still eats into them)and 8 injectors(unless you send yours out for cleaning).Total dealer cost around 3500-4000 dollars.NUCKIN FUTS if you ask me!

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I read all your post and think we may have a disconnect as to the real subject matter of this string. Question is....what are the impact(s) of putting E85 in my stock or should I say Gasoline engine....you are correct there are alternative fuel sources and blends of gasoline and alternative fuel sources....the issue is you must build and tune to run those....look at GM's engines that run either 100% gasoline or E85 and you will see the fuel tank and fuel lines are coated internally and when the engine detects E85 it advances timing and richens the A/F automatically. Bottom line is obvious....your car does not have coated lines/fuel tanks and does not adjust A/F and timing to run E85 safely for the long term....when we spray alcohol in cars we tune for it...if we don't we catch the parts as the re-enter earths atmosphere. IMHO this entire E85 is bullshit anyway as the infrastructure cost is prohibitive to make it available to the public is one thing....and the other major issue I have is the loss of MPG. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the answer...."Oh lookie....I am burning a cheaper alternative fuel....of course it takes a boatload more cuz my mileage sucks...and my car just shit the bed." We need gearheads working on this and not tree hugging liberals who haven't a clue of the real world.
    Okay, I agree, you shouldn't run E85 in any vehicle that isn't set up for it. You're 100% right, you need to change fuel system components and tune for it if you want to do so.

The infrastructre cost is initially high, yes. But wasn't it high when they first started pipelining or transporting any type of fuel? (gasoline, natural gas, etc, etc) In the midwest, the infrastrucure is here. There's E85 all over. You know as well as I do, things don't happen over night.

As far as MPG, E85 is approximately a 10% loss compared to gasoline, but of course, every vehicle is slightly more or less. So, at $2.50 gasoline, if E85 is $2.25, and it's a wash. In this area, E85 is typically 30 to 40 cents cheaper than gasoline. (Another thing, don't think for one second that GM,Ford & Dodge could achieve the same gas mileage with alternative fuels as compared to gasoline if they really wanted to.....the fact is, it's already happening at Saab)I agree, you have to stop more times at the gas stations, but your cost per mile is lower. At the same time, it reduces tailpipe emissions and the like.

In all honesty Sarge, (and anyone listening) wouldn't you rather give your money to the American farmer than to the Middle East??

By the way, I know that ethanol is not the answer to all of the world's problems, but it's better than doing nothing! It's just a piece to a very intracate puzzle that will get us closer to being energy independant.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Can't say much other than pretty soon, the Gen V LSx motors will be out and this won't be a problem anymore. Granted, that doesn't help us very much. But, at least going forward it won't be a problem.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    all i'm pointing out is ALL efuels collect water,anytime they are exposed moisture.In the air,sitting in the gas companies vented holding tanke etc....it is soaking up water.That is a fact.Now you mix that wioth bare carbon steel,YOU GOT RUST.The only reason i bring this up is because i;ve seen the damage in our fbodies and the newer trucks over and over and over.The dealers WILL NOT admit to this on any level,so talking to them about it is a waste of time.Call Mikey at Rapid notor Sports,he's worked on 1000's of these cars.He has seen is too many times and while i talked to him about what happened to ours he qouted "i see that all the time,its very common"
    I took my wifes ta to the local dealer to have the lines changed hoping gm would foot the bill if one of their dealers would admit( because they did the work there)the lines were bad.I wanted all the old parts saved.When we picked her car up i said to the service manager SO fuel lines looked very bad huh? HE REFUSED ANY COMMENTS ON IT.I asked him again...don't you think those lines were badly damaged from something? HE JUST CLAMMED UP.No comment no NOTHING.Now on the newer trucks having the same trouble he admitted to it being a big problem.In fact he told me they stock the complete fuel line assembies abd injectors for the trucks so they can fix them faster.

ERIC you can pull your injectors and have the screens replaced which will solve the problem.If rust is your problem,you won't know until someone inspects the complete fuel system.I can tell you from experiance if rust is the trouble you will need 1 fuel bucket assembly,1 fuel line assembly,1 fuel rail,1 fuel filter,ALL the soft fuel lines( the ends are plated steel but the Efuel still eats into them)and 8 injectors(unless you send yours out for cleaning).Total dealer cost around 3500-4000 dollars.NUCKIN FUTS if you ask me!

You would think that they would change the type of material used in the Fuel rails, and the manufacture can not say that type of material can not be used, I mean how many fuel injected vehicles are there and it seems that only the GM V8s are having this issue. Now that i think about it the old TPI V8s had aluminum fuel rail (made the mistake of over tightening one bolt and the rail cracked.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Goeringer View Post
    You would think that they would change the type of material used in the Fuel rails, and the manufacture can not say that type of material can not be used, I mean how many fuel injected vehicles are there and it seems that only the GM V8s are having this issue. Now that i think about it the old TPI V8s had aluminum fuel rail (made the mistake of over tightening one bolt and the rail cracked.)
    your fuel rail is bare carbon steel!.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post

In all honesty Sarge, (and anyone listening) wouldn't you rather give your money to the American farmer than to the Middle East??
    its not going to the middle east now,where do you think all this profit from selling fuel in the US is going?IN YOUR COUNTRYMANS RICH POCKETS! our own people are fkn us!

White
    '10 ZR1

its not going to the middle east now,where do you think all this profit from selling fuel in the US is going?IN YOUR COUNTRYMANS RICH POCKETS! our own people are fkn us!
    Where did you hear me say that Big Oil isn't screwing us over? Where? You're not telling me anything I don't know buddy.

What does that have to do with lessening our dependance on foreign oil?

Edit: No more posts will be made by me that are off-topic in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Where did you hear me say that Big Oil isn't screwing us over? Where? You're not telling me anything I don't know buddy.

What does that have to do with lessening our dependance on foreign oil?
    you were talking money,the middle east gets fkd just like us the people makin the real money are our countrymen!so please drop the middle east ripping us off bs..it a8int true.TRUTH is we are fkn ourselfs..ITs the american way!

White
    '10 ZR1

you were talking money,the middle east gets fkd just like us the people makin the real money are our countrymen!so please drop the middle east ripping us off bs..it a8int true.TRUTH is we are fkn ourselfs..ITs the american way!
    It's okay, we can agree to disagree. No problem. There isn't enough time to explain it to you.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

yeah same here,thats why i never fill up without an additive.I've watched it closely now and with the additive no damage so far.
    What additive do you use and how much is it costing you?

i buy Lucas fuel system teatment by the qt,cost is around 8 dollars a qt.I use aprox 1 1/2oz for every 10 gals so a qt goes a long way.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

i buy Lucas fuel system teatment by the qt,cost is around 8 dollars a qt.I use aprox 1 1/2oz for every 10 gals so a qt goes a long way.
    i dunno if you could tell but does the treatment really seem to be helping?

i just pulled the fuel system apart for inspection.Looks like new after two years but i never put gas in without Lucas fuel system treatment.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by MavrickCJH View Post
    What additive do you use and how much is it costing you?
    Lucas in every tank. I get it for $23/gallon and use about 5 oz. per tank.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

There is so much bullshit in this thread that i cant beleave me eyes...
    www.ws7.se
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f69/my-black-ta-modemkiller-1249/
    Running on E85

Twin Turbo Project Started

Hello from Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by Runn_WS7 View Post
    There is so much bullshit in this thread that i cant beleave me eyes...
    enlighten us please! you expect us to believe omar was a stoolie because sossa says so??????????
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 11-07-2006 at 07:58 AM.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I Would Not Put E85 In Anything Unless It Came From The Factory With The New Yellow Gas Cap And The New Parts For It. Any American Or Foreign Brand Not Certified To Run It Would Have Problems I Believe.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

enlighten us please! you expect us to believe omar was a stoolie because sossa says so??????????
    You can drive on whatever you want of course i dont care, And i dont try to convince anyone to use E85... But alot of info that is floating around on the net is wrong. Keep on driving on gas yomommasTA and keep on buying injector cleaner But E85 does the same thing as that injector cleaning, Have you ever looked at what the bottle contain...

But do as you like, I wont post more in this wierd thread

I might answer any serious questions here http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...996#post455996 or http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602091

Quote Originally Posted by Runn_WS7 View Post
    You can drive on whatever you want of course i dont care, And i dont try to convince anyone to use E85... But alot of info that is floating around on the net is wrong. Keep on driving on gas yomommasTA and keep on buying injector cleaner But E85 does the same thing as that injector cleaning, Have you ever looked at what the bottle contain...

But do as you like, I wont post more in this wierd thread

I might answer any serious questions here http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...996#post455996 or http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602091
    WRONG,you need to read more.Lucas is a lubricant,not solvent based injector cleaner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information