Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ethanol fuel in the LS1 V8

This is a discussion on Ethanol fuel in the LS1 V8 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; You are right. I had no idea....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

You are right.
    I had no idea.

its insane if you ask me.Another crazy thing is the returnless type fuel systems tend to collect water in the fuel rails.Normally the water would return back to fuel tank because the water can't pass through the fuel injectors.But in a returnless system it has no place to go.Nice huh? of course you will NEVER see GM admit to this!The dealer foreman tipped me off to that little goodie.
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 10-27-2006 at 07:17 PM.

White
    2002 Z28

I am not sure what the percentage of gas stations use the 10% mix but I try not to fill with mix. This is only the second time the mixed stuff was put in the car since I owned it... it is strange that the car developes a miss when I use the stuff. I still have half a tank to go then it back to the basics.

So tell me about this additive you use that seems to help.

Lucas fuel treatment,but DON"T go out and buy a bottle and put it in your tank.The stuff also cleans and loosens any RUST,if its already started it will clog all the injectors.I would suggest start off slowly using maybe an oz per tank full of fuel for a few months.if everything works ok then start putting the full amount in.I've read too many threads about clogging all the injectors from a cowboy tossing a whole bottle in a dirty or rusted system.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I've been using Lucas with every fill-up for several years. Little do many know, ethanol has been included in quite a bit of premium fuels for several years. Now, even more use it, so most premium gasoline includes up to 10% ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I've been using Lucas with every fill-up for several years. Little do many know, ethanol has been included in quite a bit of premium fuels for several years. Now, even more use it, so most premium gasoline includes up to 10% ethanol.
    yep my melt down was 2 years ago.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

If you have no choice....and it looks like it is going that way....run FP60 in every tank of gas.....cheap and easy....protects your fuel system.
    http://www.lubecontrol.com/
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

White
    2002 Z28

....you know now that you mention it I am in denial about the rough idle and the miss I mentioned before, could be a clogged fuel injector; well it should be fun trying to get to 7 and 8 injectors. God I miss the Gen III engine compartments… Well at least replacing the injectors will give me an excuse to put a set of high flow injectors in to beef up the fuel system

Thanks again for the feedback.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Just ordered me some FP60. Thanks Sarge
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

i had a rough idle for a few months and couldn't find the cause.After replacing all the injectors jammed with rust it idles perfect.I also started getting a check engine light with code both banks too rich.I also seen elvis doing something to my gas tank when i went into pay after getting gas,so he might have done something to it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    If you have no choice....and it looks like it is going that way....run FP60 in every tank of gas.....cheap and easy....protects your fuel system.
    http://www.lubecontrol.com/
    How long have you been using it?

Black
    2005 GTO

Crap! I just put like 1/4 bottle(the small bottle) of lucas in my tank after reading this thread. Now my service engine soon light is on. I have't checked the code yet but i'm gonna guess it has something to do with adding the lucas.

White
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    i had a rough idle for a few months and couldn't find the cause.After replacing all the injectors jammed with rust it idles perfect.I also started getting a check engine light with code both banks too rich.I also seen elvis doing something to my gas tank when i went into pay after getting gas,so he might have done something to it.
    Are you sure you saw Elvis? Could have been Murphy....

Unfortunately I am trying to buy a house so I have to go until I can confirm injector failure which then I can claim to my warranty.

Here is another crapy fact, I stopped by the local Chevy dealership to discuss my options, they said try an injector flush first then look into replacing the injectors. Red flag (lets ensure the crap up of your injectors so we can charge a few grand to fix it.... ). in short I brought up the fact that I have a warranty and asked if they ran into any cases that the warranty did not cover the fix. And I was advised that the warranty companies could and have rejected repairs of fuel components due to the use of ethanol fuels because of lack of proper maintenance.... wtf! from what I have heard there is not a confirmed preventative maintenance to keep this from happening, at least not from the dealer. However there is a loop hole to this issue. When the mechanics log the problem it would be the fact that the injectors failed due to particles clogging the injector; they can not say "they failed due to the use of Ethanol mixed gas" because they can not prove it.

So my thought is that if I have to make a claim to the warranty I should not mention that the use of Ethanol mixed Gas caused the failure, just that the injectors failed ... I will keep everyone posted on this one

White
    2002 Z28

Oh and I started to run the Lucas gas treatment to try to catch this before it get any worse. Thanks Ta

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by PaganEgyptian View Post
    Ethanol requires higher compression to burn. A highly modified LS1 can burn it. E-85 is 112octane, 100% Ethanol is 120octane. A stroked and decked motor will love it. Ford's flex fuel system, recognizes the octane and advances the timing to allow higher compression before ignition. -Tim
    This is not the case. Any engine can burn ethanol, it doesn't require higher compression to burn....that's diesel fuel, not ethanol. E-85 is about 105 octane...........100% ethanol is slightly higher octane, but the fact is, you cannot even get it.

In Minnesota, all of the gasoline at the pumps has a minimum of 10% ethanol. I run 93 octane in my '01 LS1, and have zero problems.

Ford, Chevy and Dodge's flex fuel systems all recognize what fuel is in the tank, and have the engine controls to deal with the different fuel in the tank. A computer cannot change the compression of an engine.

All facts.

White
    '10 ZR1

e fuel will eat the fbod fuel lines and fuel rail fast.DON"T USE IT!
    So, what you're saying is every F-body LS1 in Minnesota will have bad fuel lines/rails. Where do you live?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    last months car craft did and article where they changed a carb over to run on ethanol and did dyno tests too. they also spent time explaining why you cant go from gas to straight ethanol or e85.
    Absolutely, that's exactly why my '68 Camaro with a 502 BBC will be converted over to E85. Not to mention the engine will run cooler, cleaner and faster!

White
    '10 ZR1

read above carefully before posting,remember ALL ethanol fuels contain water.

The rust appears to be coming from several sources:
    - the chassis fuel line
    - the crossover pipe on the Gen III fuel rail.

Both pipes are made of low-carbon steel, and the inside of the pipe is not coated. If water gets into the fuel system, it has the potential to rust the line.
    Anhydrous ethanol that goes to market is above 199.0 proof, which is less than or greater to .5% water.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Dont put that shit in your ride man. Fucking alcohol.....your car aint built for it. If you believe the goverment........
    Q: Will I hurt a gasoline-only vehicle if I use E85?
    A: Yes. Longer-term use of E85 in gasoline-only vehicles may cause damage because of the incompatibility of the alcohol fuel with the parts in gasoline-only engines. Performance and emissions will also be compromised.

As for the lifter question. How many miles on that bad boy?
    Check this out Sarge. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11603199/

I'm sure you know many of the advantages of running alcohol, but here's a good example of technology working for us.......just a thought.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Check this out Sarge. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11603199/

I'm sure you know many of the advantages of running alcohol, but here's a good example of technology working for us.......just a thought.
    I read all your post and think we may have a disconnect as to the real subject matter of this string. Question is....what are the impact(s) of putting E85 in my stock or should I say Gasoline engine....you are correct there are alternative fuel sources and blends of gasoline and alternative fuel sources....the issue is you must build and tune to run those....look at GM's engines that run either 100% gasoline or E85 and you will see the fuel tank and fuel lines are coated internally and when the engine detects E85 it advances timing and richens the A/F automatically. Bottom line is obvious....your car does not have coated lines/fuel tanks and does not adjust A/F and timing to run E85 safely for the long term....when we spray alcohol in cars we tune for it...if we don't we catch the parts as the re-enter earths atmosphere. IMHO this entire E85 is bullshit anyway as the infrastructure cost is prohibitive to make it available to the public is one thing....and the other major issue I have is the loss of MPG. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is not the answer...."Oh lookie....I am burning a cheaper alternative fuel....of course it takes a boatload more cuz my mileage sucks...and my car just shit the bed." We need gearheads working on this and not tree hugging liberals who haven't a clue of the real world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information