Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Engine and Transmission Upgrade???

I met this guy through a friend of mine yesterday and he told me he would upgrade my 2001 V6 Camaro to a 305 or 350 engine and he would also change the transmission and put dual Flowmasters on my car and i was wondering if this would be a good idea. Would i have to get anything reprogrammed and would i have to upgrade the suspension for my car to handle better. He is doing all of this for a reasonable offer its under $3500 for everything including Installation and this would also keep insurance costs down because the vin # is for a V6.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I wouldn't...he's probably gonna throw some used and beat up crap carb motor and tranny in. You need to explain more on what he wants to put in....because depending on the setup you might not have much more power then your sixer...and your gas milage will crap.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

ok, He said it was going to be a new custom built engine and the transmission was going to be new also because he can get all the parts cheap, He has his own shop and he has been working on cars since he was young. he didn't state what brand the engine and transmission would be though.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

what about the rest of the car? Suspension has a HUGE role in this conversion. It's not just an engine swap. You'r going to add a LOT of weight to your front end, and need to support that weight-guess what, your V6's current set up won't do it.

I wouldn't have a friend of a friend do anything to my car. Also, are you willing to put a LOT of money into this? THat said-why just a 350? and if it's an Iron block, you may aswell do a 402 or something that's gonna put down some serious power.

you're very smart for coming here and asking this question.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Like diph said..it's a lot more work involved then just tossing in a motor and tranny. He'd have to throw a carb motor in there for sure..especially at that price. Still sounds a little fishy...i'd look at some of the guys work/projects first. If I was you...i'd sell the v6 and use that money and the $3500 that you have for the swap and buy a LS1/LT1 F-body. You can find a lt1 pretty cheap...and even a somewhat higher milage ls1. I paid 8500 for mine...look around before you get involved in this. If he starts this swap on your car...i'm willing to bet you'll get some calls asking for more money..and by then you won't have a choice. At the bare minimum get everything in writing.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

thanks for the replies so far. well he is doing my friend's car (for the same offer he told me) throughout this week and the next and he has a 84 V6 Cutlass he will be getting the car back wednesday so i guess i will be seeing some of his work wednesday, but i think there is a big difference between a 84' car and a 01' car (one is metal and the other isn't) but does that really matter? I would sell my car and buy a LS1/LT1 but insurance would go up and my parents won't pay more for insurance.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Define in writing exactly what is going in and any and all warranty's that apply.
    Define expected RWHP/RWTQ and any other performance related measurment issues.
    Smog/Inspection sticker issues must be addressed. If he is legit he will not give you a car that is built not capable of passing inspections.
    Speak to his references.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Its kinda hard to give you a good answer to what your asking unless you specify what is going into the car and what supporting mods are being done.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

The only thing that i know of so far that he plans on doing to my car is putting a new custom-built engine (most likely a 350), transmission, dual Flowmasters, and all the necessary parts to get the car running properly with the new engine.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

still not even close to enough information, i wouldnt do it man, you'll be running in to little problems here and â€*here untill the day you get rid of the car

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

werd up. you get what you pay for. and unless this guy is either your brother or best friend for life, jsut pass on it. You're only 17, atleast you have an fbody and not a ricer. Hang onto your v6 and then get an LS1 or LS2 swap LATER in life when you can afford liabilities and a real mechanic

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for all the replies, glad i asked before i went through with the deal. And i kno this is off topic but is it true that the import and American car ratio for HP is for every 330hp in a American car a import has 150 hp? I heard this from a import owner but didn't kno if it was true or not.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

As I have just bought my daughter a V6 ( 3.8) Firebird and have been doing a little research.....I am curious of one thing.....it is obvious with a bolt on and some light machining....these 3.8's can comfortably churn out 400+ RWHP with heads/cam/intake assembly.....basic bottom end mods and your there for under $4K....why wouldn't one go that route? Hell I just got this months ( March) Camaro Performers mag....guess what...rebuild/built up 3.8 is a feature tech article....you should pick up a copy....
    I am the dumbest person on this board...this has been established...I am confused what you are asking above....ratio to what? Are you asking HP to Weight?
    Last edited by Sarge; 02-26-2006 at 06:29 AM.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

No I was asking about the ratio to American Car Horspower and Imports Car Horsepower.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

SAE is the standard for determining HP to the flywheel on a engine dyno....gloablly accepted....Import HP is the exact same as US HP. Still doesn't make sense what your asking...I'm sure it does in your mind but I'll just walk away and let somebody else that understands what you are asking answer

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by iceman504
    Thanks for all the replies, glad i asked before i went through with the deal. And i kno this is off topic but is it true that the import and American car ratio for HP is for every 330hp in a American car a import has 150 hp? I heard this from a import owner but didn't kno if it was true or not.

This does sound like somthing that would come out of an import owners mouth. Let me give you some advice, If you see an import with graphics, gigantic wing and an overly done body kit and a 5" Exhust tip sticking out the back you probably don't want to take anything they say seriously. Just smile and ignore them. Your only 17 so I understand you probably don't know much about the hoby yet. Just keep reading up on it. Check the boards, go pick up some magazines and read.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Ok this is close to what He said, if u put a american car against a Import car and they both have 330hp the import car will lose b/c 150hp in a american car is like 330hp in a import car so it would take more hp in a import car to beat a american car.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by iceman504
    Ok this is close to what He said, if u put a american car against a Import car and they both have 330hp the import car will lose b/c 150hp in a american car is like 330hp in a import car so it would take more hp in a import car to beat a american car.

Wow.. Thats the most uneducated theory Iv heard!

Black
    1997 Trans Am ws6

I want to throw in here the bit about your insurance premiums... The fact that you are driving a rear-wheel coupe (2 door) and you're 17 has more of an effect on your premiums than the size of your motor. I know you perceive that your insurance premiums will go up when you get that v8 (and they will) but it's not as drastic as you think. For one, most of your insurance (state minimum requirements for auto insurance) covers the damage that you can do WITH your car (to other people's property and medical injuries), not the damage that you can do TO your car. I'm not going to bother with the weight differences between the v6 and v8, but let's suffice it to say that the way physics works, if you've got a 3000 lb object traveling at 50 mph, it's going to do almost as much damage as a 3200 lb object traveling at 50 mph.

I am an insurance agent, not a P&C agent but I know how risk is measured. I am also an under 25 driver and I've had f-bodies almost my entire (driving) life. The annual difference in insurance premiums for my 1998 v6 versus a 2000 ws6 vert was about $12 a month. There are several different portions that make up car insurance (medical liability, collision, compehensive etc), ask your agent about them or READ YOUR POLICY.

As a side note, the premiums on a 2003 corvette vert were about $8 a month higher than the ws6. I have a (mostly) clean driving record and I am insured by State Farm, which is a mutually held insurance company (the policy holders own the company) and mutually held ins. co's tend to treat their policy holders better across the board. State Farm does some nasty stuff in the legal and legislative areas, but that's another story.

Point Being: Don't let the insurance premiums scare you away from an LS1/LT1. Call your insurance agent and ask how much the difference is.

Thread Information