navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Question engine ticking and rearend noise

Im new to this forum and recently purchased a 2002 ss slp camaro with only 16000 miles on it. Now the engine sort of knocks or has a slight ticking noise. Is that common for this car? Also every now and then the rearend clunks. what would that indicate? Other than that the cars great. really fast car. Want to race a newer mustang gt but im not sure id win.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Im new to this forum and recently purchased a 2002 ss slp camaro with only 16000 miles on it. Now the engine sort of knocks or has a slight ticking noise. Is that common for this car? Also every now and then the rearend clunks. what would that indicate? Other than that the cars great. really fast car. Want to race a newer mustang gt but im not sure id win.
    Ticking noise is pretty common on LS1s (lifter/piston slap), worst case it may end up being a spun rod bearing, but thats not as common as a lifter, mine ticks a little and so does both my friends. The clunking noise in the rear end may be a messed up gear, chipped tooth, something like that. And against a newer GT, i would give you the upper hand. Is it an auto or manual?

Welcome to the site
    and congrats on the new car
    enjoy it
    Last edited by tatertot91; 11-11-2009 at 05:07 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Since you have an ss you May have an auburn differential and if the friction modifier is bad or not in the oil it will chatter. If you have a torsen they are usually pretty quiet mine sometimes makes a tad bit of noise but barely noticeable. Only way to tell which one you have is to take off the rear cover. Btw the ticking noise is normal theyre just noisy engines mine sounds like a damn diesel till its warm.

I'd also check the u-joints for slop.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

btw as far as the race with the gt goes 99-09 ur gonna win unless you cant hook. 10-up its a good race but the ls1 should come out on top. just dont go messin with any 03-up cobras

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am Collectors

My 02 CETA (25K miles) has a whinning or machine noise that seems to be coming from the rear differential. It is more obvious while accelerating but it does not clunk or make any sudden loud noises it just seems to have a high pitch whining machine like sund.. It's kinda like a turbine noise winding up and down varying with RPM's ? Any thoughts if I'm about to have some problems or should I change the fluid to something specific ? Additives ?
    This car is not drive very often ?
    Thanks

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Quote Originally Posted by blade2222 View Post
    I'd also check the u-joints for slop.
    +1 on this.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree with all suggestions. Check/change your oil, inspect the driveline, trans mount, torque arm, panhard bar and check/change your rearend fluid. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by ribbits View Post
    My 02 CETA (25K miles) has a whinning or machine noise that seems to be coming from the rear differential. It is more obvious while accelerating but it does not clunk or make any sudden loud noises it just seems to have a high pitch whining machine like sund.. It's kinda like a turbine noise winding up and down varying with RPM's ? Any thoughts if I'm about to have some problems or should I change the fluid to something specific ? Additives ?
    This car is not drive very often ?
    Thanks
    Sounds to me like your back lash is out of spec. The bearings are probably failing (age...?). I had a noise just as you are describing in my rear end and replacing the bearings/seals/fluid solved the problem.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Sounds to me like your back lash is out of spec. The bearings are probably failing (age...?). I had a noise just as you are describing in my rear end and replacing the bearings/seals/fluid solved the problem.
    Thanks for the feedback.. I'll pull the pan and check for metal in the bottom... May even check backlash clearance if I can get that spec somewhere ? also will inspect brgs as this car is static for months at a time..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, I'm not sure how "sitting" will affect the bearings... I would have assumed that it would have no effect... but I am far from an expert.

Yellow
    2002 Trans Am Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure how "sitting" will affect the bearings... I would have assumed that it would have no effect... but I am far from an expert.
    Not sure where the normal lube level is in the differential, but I know it's not completely full.. Over time with inactivity the exposed portion of the brgs. / gears can collect moisture due to condensation.. Condensation causes rust and rust causes pits in the surface of the metal.. These pits in the surface will cause premature brg./gear failure over time... This is a common problem in the aviation industry... That's why an aircraft regularly flow with lots of hours often will fetch a higher price than one that is infrequently flown with comparatively far less use or "miles" on it..

Thread Information