Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Engine ticking

This is a discussion on Engine ticking within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by j nix I don't like getting into a project with out the right tools. Not that haven't ...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    I don't like getting into a project with out the right tools. Not that haven't done it many times. Lol. Good looking out. Are there any major don'ts when taking this on. Something stupid I could do that will really F my car?
    Major don't: Don't drop the valves into the engine. lol.
    I have done this without putting air into the cylinder before. You have to run the piston all the way up to top dead center. On most engines (maybe all engines) the valve won't have enough room to drop into the the engine. it'll drop down onto the piston but won't fall all the way in.
    And the valve seals kinda help hold the valve up all the way closed while you remove and reinstall the spring. One less tool to worry about, if you do decide to try it out.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

All great info. I think i am going to go for it. I have done fluid changes, some air intake work, suspensions, brakes, some electrical, minor body work, but nothing with the engine yet. I am sure i will have no problems, but i am still a litle intimidated. Inly because i havent done it before. So all the info and tips you guys give me will be considered. Thanks. Besides changing the ratio, will changing these help with performance?
    Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune | TB Bypass | Bilstein HD Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit | UMI SFC | UMI Rear LCA's and brackets | UMI adj PHB, UMI Front/Rear Sway Bars |UMI Strut Tower Brace | SLP Lid | SLP Loud Mouth with quad tips | High output alt

silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rob00Taws6 View Post
    thanks, I've come across some old post that mentioned it, and it kind of got me thinking about it again, ya mean the car runs strong, and i know ls1 typically make some noises, noise just aggravates the hell out of me. only does it at an idle to.
    I am having the same ticking you are talking about. I know it's nothing that is going to harm the motor but it annoys me. I use Mobil1 10/30 fully synthetic. I've been told it's a stuck lifter but I've never gotten around to doing anything about it

silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Do you have an aftermarket MAF? Someone told me it could be that. I have a SLP MAF and my car ticks. I can't find the dang stock MAF to swap them out to see of that helps. It's in storage somewhere LOL
    Last edited by TooFass4u; 06-22-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by TooFass4u View Post
    Do you have an aftermarket MAP? Someone told me it could be that. I have a SLP MAP and my car ticks. I can't find the dang stock MAP to swap them out to see of that helps. It's in storage somewhere LOL

MAP? I assume you mean MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor).

silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Yes, MAF

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information