Engine Swap

This is a discussion on Engine Swap within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have an 86 Trans Am and was thinking about swapping in a LS1 for the 305 TPI it currently ...

Engine Swap

I have an 86 Trans Am and was thinking about swapping in a LS1 for the 305 TPI it currently has. How big a pain would this be? It is either that or trying to find a newer LS1 car but I have had this since 1987 so It''s a little sentimental to me but I want more power. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

why not build a 350 tpi? there are plenty of aftermarket parts available to make plenty of power, and when you pop the hood it will still look stock. check out hawksthirdgenparts.com. they have all the parts needed to do the swap.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

it's getting easier to find swap parts out there now.

as far as putting a 350 in place of the 305, yes, it would be lots easier, but you won't get near the same performance as the LS1. i know as i used to have an 86TA before my current cars. here's the car and all the things i did to it. http://www.fla-thirdgen.org/mrr23

I know an L98 swap would be easier but I love the LS1 motor. I think also it would be easier to tune with all the different programmers out there for it. I don't think you can tune the L98 the same way you just swap prom chips I think. I just didn't know of the difficulties it would pose as far as accessories and wiring harnesses and the such.

Thread Information