Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Engine stumbles/stalls under heavy throttle

This is a discussion on Engine stumbles/stalls under heavy throttle within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey all, I finally got around to doing some work. A mechanic at work suggested checking the plugs. Well, checking ...

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Hey all, I finally got around to doing some work. A mechanic at work suggested checking the plugs. Well, checking more than one or two is difficult, so I went ahead replaced all 8 (including the dreaded #8!). I took it or a short jaunt around the area and had no issues. I plan to drive the bird to work this week to make sure the problem is solved...thanks or everyone's input!!!!

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by bull1112 View Post
    Hey all, I finally got around to doing some work. A mechanic at work suggested checking the plugs. Well, checking more than one or two is difficult, so I went ahead replaced all 8 (including the dreaded #8!). I took it or a short jaunt around the area and had no issues. I plan to drive the bird to work this week to make sure the problem is solved...thanks or everyone's input!!!!
    Out of curiosity, how old were the plugs in the car you replaced? What brand/model were they?
    What did you put it?

I find 6 is harder than eight, I jack the car up and 8 is a breeze.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

The motor was swapped out 1.5 years ago with new plugs I believe. There were AC Delco 41-110 plug (iridium) which is what I bought on Amazon ($31 w/ shipping plus $2/plus mail-in rebate). The plugs were dirty, but not too bad honestly. I gapped the new plugs to at least .045, and the old were less (around .035). I'm still not 100% confident, will feel better after driving it a little more.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by bull1112 View Post
    The motor was swapped out 1.5 years ago with new plugs I believe. There were AC Delco 41-110 plug (iridium) which is what I bought on Amazon ($31 w/ shipping plus $2/plus mail-in rebate). The plugs were dirty, but not too bad honestly. I gapped the new plugs to at least .045, and the old were less (around .035). I'm still not 100% confident, will feel better after driving it a little more.
    So perhaps the old plugs were actually really old. I hope that helps. 41-110's are my favorite @ 0.040".

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Plugs were either really old, or possibly cracked I'm thinking. Had to do a tune up on a USPS jeep that got a new Jasper motor. Coworker swapped motor and re-used the plugs/wires(no-no in my book) and the new motor had a miss. When my boss told me to swap new plugs/wires, I discovered one of the old plugs had a length-wide crack in the porcelain. Boss gave co-worker shit for it.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Hello again all. I had someone check the computer. The fuse was blown to the port, not sure if that impacts if the check engine light should come on, but we found two codes of camshaft position sensor. My next project when time allows is to remove the intake and check the sensor. Other than the intake manifold gasket and a new sensor, what all do I need to replace while doing this?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Since you're taking the intake off to get to the sensor If I was in your position I would also throw in new knock sensors. Also make sure you are careful when removing the intake. The OPSU sits just behind it on the drivers side and the break booster hose usually breaks the OPSU if you forget to pull it around and out of the way. I make sure I always have one on standby when I take the intake off. They cost $58 at the parts stores and the $10 OPSU socket is worth it's weight in gold.

Another thing to check is the crappy PCV tubing. Most of your vacuum leaks and oil on the back of the motor comes from this POS part. There are a couple of fixes in the Sticky section of the General Help section.

When you go back to installing the intake make sure you attach the thin HVAC tubing to the back of the intake or you'll have no HVAC and end up because you have to do everything all over again.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Connected a code reader and had two codes for camshaft position sensor. Replaced the camshaft position today. Not incredibly difficult per say, just have to use the force a little and show off the scraped up knuckles.

Going to try to drive the car a bunch this week to see if this solves the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information