Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Engine running very very poorly - ideas?

This is a discussion on Engine running very very poorly - ideas? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I edited a few posts because I kept calling it "closed" loop instead of open. Just for clarification....."open" loop is before the O2 feedback is being used and "closed" loop is using O2 feedback. The ect enable for closed loop varies a little by IAT temp but generally is 92F.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    You can put the car in open loop and not run the O2's at all but the symptoms you're describing sounds like it's going to closed loop. In that case you have to have both of those front sensors. I think you may be getting warm on diagnosing your problem.

Is the car using stock manifolds? That sensor will be pretty high up on that manifold if memory serves me correctly.....been years since I've even seen a stock manifold.
    If wanted/needed do you think you could re-route an 02 sensor ..say closer to the manifold (closer to stock location)in you headers?To replicate a stock reading? In my case i have LT`s and that moved my 02`s about 2 feet maybe?..from the stock location and sometimes throws codes ...just wondering cause i have to deal with CA. emissions.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the problem you would run into there is that the primaries on LT's are so long.....you don't want that sensor only reading 1 primary so it has to be in the collector. What sensor are you running and what codes are you seeing? The most common are switching and heater codes. I had those after going to headers. Went with bosch 13111 sensors and haven't had one since......that was 3-4 years ago. Firebirdjones also cured the same code issue by going to that sensor I believe but I'd let him answer that.

the problem you would run into there is that the primaries on LT's are so long.....you don't want that sensor only reading 1 primary so it has to be in the collector. What sensor are you running and what codes are you seeing? The most common are switching and heater codes. I had those after going to headers. Went with bosch 13111 sensors and haven't had one since......that was 3-4 years ago. Firebirdjones also cured the same code issue by going to that sensor I believe but I'd let him answer that.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Thanks guys! Yeah duh about that question..i wasnt thinkin,,,i forgot that that would only read from one cylinder Ithink when i had my KooKs LTs put in 08 the guy used my stockers> I have to check my paperwork for the specifics....as far as codes ill have to do the same but from the top of my head it was something like ''heated circuit" and p0138/po157.....they dont pop all the time but evey once in a while especially after a hard pull....thinkin of getting wideband 02`s or try fbjs Bosch 13111 replacement...also i need it tuned for the lts and cai ( i know !) not workin now so itll have to wait......
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Thought I'd post an update.

I cleaned the MAF sensor, done my best to check all grounds/connectors, replaced both O2 sensors (I was very wrong about only having one sensor - it was just in a very well hidden spot and I found it when I got underneath). The problems persists....

I have moved onto problems with the fuel system. When I attach a fuel pressure gauge this runs at 65 psi when idling smoothly. But this can fluctuate quite noticeably, i.e. pulses between 65 - 45 psi. It was doing this when running badly. The high pressure pump makes a very odd noise whilst this happens making me beleive it is under strain.

I'll start with the filters first. Any other thoughts where a fuel problem could be occuring?

A couple of issues which may be related - a very strong smell of fuel - to the point where after a drive I need to change my clothes. I have spotted a very small leak from the stop cock before the low pressure filter but I doubt this is the cause. I initially thought this meant I was running rich/unburnt fuel - hence starting by changing the O2 sensors. Any thoughts as to how this may tie in? The PCM uses a Baker electronics rear O2 sensor bypass unit - could a faulty one of these cause this problem?

My father borrowed the car before this problem started and has now confessed putting diesel in it!!! Apparently this was about 5 litres and the full tank was drained and filled with the right stuff. Apparently getting the pipe in was a an ordeal - I wonder if something could have been dislodged inside the tank?? Seems to be a bit of a coincidence.

I've put some photo of my fuel layout below.

Fuel rail
    FUEL RAIL.jpg
    Fuel regulator - braided input hose from high pressure pump. Normal hose back to swirl pot
    FUEL REGULATOR.jpg
    Low pressure pump - receives fuel from tank and pumps to swirl pot via filter
    LOW PRESSURE PUMP.jpg
    High pressure pump and filter - receives fuel from swirl pot then sends through filter before going to engine bay
    high pressure pump.jpg
    Swirl pot. Receives fuel from low pressure pump (via filter) and back from regulator. Fuel goes off to high pressure pump.
    swirl pot.jpg
    Last edited by cullywoo; 09-04-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I cannot remember if diesel causes the O-rings in the injectors to swell.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how much was it ran after the diesel was discovered? That's assuming the tank wasn't bone dry before putting the diesel in there. The car won't run at all if it's on straight or close to straight diesel. I've never personally ran into that issue. I know it's been done which has always puzzled me how it's even possible. The diesel nozzle at a station is considerably larger than the opening to the tank. I can see the other way around happening and I know gas will destroy a diesel pretty quickly but I think once you get the diesel out of a gas burner it's no harm no foul really. You may want to check the plugs to make sure they're not fouled and run some injector cleaner through the car but other than that I can't really see it doing much harm.

Thanks, the car wasn't run at all with diesel in, and tank drained dry. I doubt this is relevant. As you say a trace of diesel shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information