Thread: Engine rebuild

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Engine rebuild

Where is a site that can help me find out what are all the parts that i will need to have to do a total engine rebuild? or can someone list them if there isn't that many..... I am seriously thinking about it

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Also...besides say the... Cam Shaft what other BIG job replacements should i look into while i have it all apart.

Not going to stoke this thing.. I can't afford that.

Should i get the crank shaft balanced... heard somthing about that from someone else...is it expensive?

Go ahead and get a new oil pump?

Etc Etc

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Whats wrong with the motor requiring a rebuild? What are you looking too get out of the motor after the rebuild? Are you just wanting too rebuild with stock type parts? The most expensive part will be getting the machining done. Depending on what condition the block is in. Post what your goals are and you will get the info you need.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Well the main reason i guess would be that the engine while under WOT after 4700-5000 and above RPM sound like its gat a box of metal marble shooting through it. I "gather" from some that it has to do with something in the crankshaft area(bearings or something). What i don't want todo is be going all out and have the motor go up in a poof of smoke with a loud bang at the same time.

Just being precautoinary...if it doesn't cost "tooooo..." much for all the normal replacement items then i will more thah lickley port/polich the heads and put in a new cam and mabye a couple other things that i don't know about yet. I have a 1500$ budget that I would like to stay with in.

As far as the cam i don't want anything crazy. Still want a Daily Driver. but i want to be able to put the smack down on some other guys out there.
    Also with the cam i will need some help picking the right one

Total HP/TQ making mods will include
    CAM
    Port/polish heads
    Headers(LT)
    intake maifold
    TB
    rockers
    injectors - if needed to get to the 400HP at the wheels marker i want to get to
    underdrive pully
    --- Think that is about it...

While i have the engine apart should i replace the lifters too? What SHOULD be replaced while i have this thing apart?

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

How many miles are on the motor and are you sure its not just a valvetrain issue. In the parts you listed will cost you your budget alone. Is there a sep. budget that you will be breaking into? Since your planning on a new cam/head work i would suggest you upgrading your valvetrain anyhow, new springs,push rods, etc. As far as a cam i would suggest callin the manufacturer of the cam you wanna purchase too figure out what they reccomend and if you will need to get it tunned after the instail. Is it a m6 or a4? If auto you would also benefit alot from a stall.
    If you pick up a "rebuild" kit it will come with new lifters and new oil pump, pistons,rings,gaskets, freeze plugs. They run about 1200.
    J

Thread Information