Results 1 to 11 of 11

engine problem (need advice)

This is a discussion on engine problem (need advice) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have a 02 ram air trans am and the motor idles fine and seems to run fine until u ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3
    2002 trans am ws6

    engine problem (need advice)

    I have a 02 ram air trans am and the motor idles fine and seems to run fine until u get on it and it seems to cutout and doesnt want to open up all the way. If anyone has any input in would be a great help. Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Quakertown, Pa
    Posts
    15

    White
    2002 Firehawk

    how many miles are on your car? I have a another car that's got about 100K miles on it and had a similar problem, took it to the local shop and they told me the cat was clogged up and needed replacement, $200 later, no problems runs great. Just my opinion...good luck

  3. #3
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk0039 View Post
    how many miles are on your car? I have a another car that's got about 100K miles on it and had a similar problem, took it to the local shop and they told me the cat was clogged up and needed replacement, $200 later, no problems runs great. Just my opinion...good luck
    Could easily be this or a dead MAF...

  4. #4
    Senior Member bluehawk2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,492

    midnight blue
    2000 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Could easily be this or a dead MAF...
    +1 except it would throw a code if it was the MAF unless its just dirty!!!

  5. #5
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    +1 except it would throw a code if it was the MAF unless its just dirty!!!
    The majority dead MAFs won't code. They don't actually die, they just report about half of what they did when they worked right.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3
    2002 trans am ws6

    Engine problem

    It has 113000 on it and I took it and had it hooked up to get the trouble codes and 4 codes showed up about the o2 sensors. The car started running fine after it sat for a day. I'm planning on putting headers on the car and I'm hoping that will fix the problem if it is the cats. Still I would like to know what caused it. Still kinda new to all this so any input would be helpful. Thanks for the input!

  7. #7
    Electrical Engineer KMdef9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North of the Motorcity
    Posts
    2,611

    Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

    Replacing the O2's when you do the headers is recommended, so if you want you could go ahead and replace them now and see if that eliminates your problem.

    Or are you deleting your O2's with the header install?

  8. #8
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    you're going to need 02 extensions so you might as well replace the fronts whiile you're at it... rears can be tuned off...

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3
    2002 trans am ws6

    I got a buddy that does alot of tuning on them and he was talking about turning the back ones off. If it was up to me I would turn all of them off if it could be done. It's just something else to aggravate the hell out of ya. Could the cats being stopped up cause all those problems? Not to mention I got to get home and take that damn power stearing cooler off and throw it down the hill cause it's leaking. Is it fine just to connect the lines and replace the rad hose with one that didn't have it?

  10. #10
    What were the actual codes?

    If you've got a P0420 or P0430, or a restricted catalytic converter, take the car to any GM dealer and have the converters replaced, for free!

  11. #11
    O U 8 1 2 Spaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    over here...
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,693

    []D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by harris9831 View Post
    I got a buddy that does alot of tuning on them and he was talking about turning the back ones off. If it was up to me I would turn all of them off if it could be done. It's just something else to aggravate the hell out of ya. Could the cats being stopped up cause all those problems? Not to mention I got to get home and take that damn power stearing cooler off and throw it down the hill cause it's leaking. Is it fine just to connect the lines and replace the rad hose with one that didn't have it?
    power steering pump is probably pissing all over your alternator... that would cause low voltage problems and a possible fire hazard...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Engine advice
    By WS6Doc in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
  2. Tranny problem. Advice please.
    By yellowv in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM
  3. Fuel Problem or Severe Engine Problem
    By pet_monk in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 08:51 AM
  4. Could use some LS1 Engine Advice
    By Storman1 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM
  5. Have Exhaust Problem? Need Advice.
    By 95TAGary in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 08:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •