Thread: engine problem?

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

engine problem?

Ok so i having problems with my 02 camaro z28. it's a M-6 with 110k, mo'ds are just bolt on's. The other day i went to start it and it maid a "clunk" noise, after that it would not turn over, the battery is fine at 13 volts and the alternator is brand new. The same thing happen to me on the same car 2 years ago, wen my engine lock, i think last time i crank it to many times thinking that it was the battery and wen my mechanic manually turn the crank and turn on the car it shot a piston throw the wall.

What do you guys think the problem is? should i manually turn the crank again, or is there other thing's i can check first, or should i go ahead and take the engine out to rebuild it?

also the oil is good i just change it 500 miles ago with mobil 1 and it did rain hard and the car was park, so maybe water some how went in it?

If there is any concern it may be hydrolocked, then remove all the spark plugs, then turn it over.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

so first i remove the spark plugs? then i turn it over with no plugs? then it def wont start lol

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by reaper ws6 View Post
    so first i remove the spark plugs? then i turn it over with no plugs? then it def wont start lol
    Of course but this shows the engine is freed up. when you replace plugs no more hydrolock. My guess is either the starter has quiet, wedged, or jammed. Especially if you say it was cranking then all of the sudden went "cuplonk"

I'm under the impression from your post that you've had hydrolock in the past, and you are suspecting that's the problem again.

That's why I suggest you remove the plugs and turn the engine over, that will remove any possible liquid from the cylinder without damage. Once that's done, you can reinstall the plugs and see if it starts without bending a connecting rod

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

yeah your both rite. Oh man i really pray my ls1 don't kills it self AGAIN! with the same car cross your finger's guys and say a lil prayer for my engine

i will drain the oil and oil filter, replace it with the cheap new brand of mobil 1 (like 15 bucks at walmart) and a cheap oil filter just for star up porpuses and will take the spark plugs out to go and crank it to see what it does. Will keep you guys posted, and thanks for the help

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Check your oil for water, it will look like a coffee milkshake. If it is good, take out the front four sparkplugs ( easy to get to. The back four are much tougher ) then take a large ratchet or breaker bar with a socket for the crank pulley and see if you can rotate the engine freely. If so, take the starter out and inspect the flywheel and the nose gear on the starter for stripping or missing teeth. If that is the problem them replace the parts and you should be back on the road.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

ok well i check my oil from the dip stick and it looks normal, tomorrow i'm going to pull the spark plugs out (did you mean the front 2 from both sides?) either way im prob going to try and get all of them off, then im going to spind the crank to see if it's spinds freely, after that im going to crank it with the spark plugs off to see if water or gas come out, after that ill putt it all back together and crank it, if it still does not crank then ill check my starter (pray to god that is my starter)

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Gas shouldn't come out of the holes. Just water.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

oh ok then well to see if water comes out. but what i dont understand is how it got lock. I drove the car on monday and it drove fine, on tuesday it rain and i left it park all day, latter on at night i went to start it and it would not start no more, the battery is good all my lights turn on, the alternator, and starter are brand new, the car has good oil and my water from the radiator is there, i don't know how it could happen, but the first time my engine lock the same thing happen, it had rain and i left it park, my mechanic said that the reason why a piston went throw the block was cause i try to star the car to much and it force to much, wen they spunk the crank by hand and started it it just blew. Man i pray that does not happen again.

I've heard of this happening to other 4th gens when they sit outside in the rain. It seems to me those instances must have had a bad cowl seal and it let water seep in and lay on the intake manifold. That in turn leaks past the injector seals and fills that cylinder with water.

So there are 2 things going on here to cause the issue,,,,a bad cowl seal, and a bad injector seal. It's just a combination of circumstances along with an engine that sits halfway under the cowl to begin with doesn't help the situation either.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

well on the good side my engine started today yay!!! lol man i was shiting brinks a swear.. but we took all the spark plugs out and turn the crank by hand, after that we putt it all back together and she started rite up. Who knows what happen the engine had no water in it, but i think the reason my engine got save this time is cuzz i dint try to start it to many times. anyway thanks to everybody that help and stop by to share there thoughts. very thankful to bad she is for sale now to pay off my trans am.

well on the good side my engine started today yay!!! lol man i was shiting brinks a swear.. but we took all the spark plugs out and turn the crank by hand, after that we putt it all back together and she started rite up. Who knows what happen the engine had no water in it, but i think the reason my engine got save this time is cuzz i dint try to start it to many times. anyway thanks to everybody that help and stop by to share there thoughts. very thankful to bad she is for sale now to pay off my trans am.
    Good to hear. Better safe than sorry. It's not that big of a deal to pull the plugs just to be sure from what you were describing.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

yep! i would of never of though about doing that. but your rite better to be safe then sorry.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

glad everything worked out for you.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black

yeah so im i. Thanks for the help

Thread Information