Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    94 Z28

engine overheating

I recently got this prob my car overheats fans worked fine but now they stopped working ac compressor doesnt spin checked fuses jumped the fans and they ran got a new 180 thermostat and now from what i know have two more options change the engine temp sensor and i know the water pump has one too just dont know whats the name or if its the same kind as the engine sensor in that case i can just buy two of the same kind anyone know about this? Oh and the hoses r fine did a radiator flush everything comes out clean also did a coolant air bleed just see if the system had air but nothing

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Other than the gauge reading, do you have other symptoms of an overheated engine? Have you verified temps with a laser temp gun or thermometer?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

where'd you jump the fans at? Verify the relays are good?

I agree with Jeff too...at a minimum look at the temps in a scanner to make sure it's overheating. Any work done on it recently where air might've been introduced to the coolant system?

Black
    94 Z28

Ill have to scan it this weekend and yes needed to take the temp sensor from the block.in order to install headers on driver side and i jumped the fan before the connector and also took it off just in case and jumped it from from the fans two metel flat knobs did positve and neg and they ran fine
    Last edited by dany3350; 02-25-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Black
    94 Z28

As for other Symptoms of overhrating norhing else for now other then it takes about the same time for any car to heat of weather is cold outside so take 15-20 mon to heat up and just keeps heating from then on also the check engine service soon is on wasnt there before until the car started heating up i also checked the relays they r all good

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by dany3350 View Post
    Ill have to scan it this weekend and yes needed to take the temp sensor from the block.in order to install headers on driver side and i jumped the fan before the connector and also took it off just in case and jumped it from from the fans two metel flat knobs did positve and neg and they ran fine
    were you having problems prior to removing the sensor? If not I'd say you just have air in the system. Start the car with the radiator cap off and let it run until it circulates through the block for a couple minutes...that should purge any air that's in there. It'll puke coolant for a while until your tstat opens so be prepared for that. Top it off with coolant and put the cap back on.

Black
    94 Z28

Tryed getting the air out and did it a couple of times To be sure but it still overheated i ordered a water pump sensor it should be get here this week ill see if that fixes the problem
    Last edited by dany3350; 02-25-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thermostat?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Tryed getting the air out and did it a couple of times To be sure but it still overheated i ordered a water pump sensor it should be get here this week ill see if that fixes the problem
    You mean the coolant temp sensor. Keep us updated.

Black
    94 Z28

Yeah i replaced the old thermostat the coolant temp sensor should get here soon

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Does the upper hose start to warm up as the engine temp approaches whatever the thermostat is rated at? The hose should remain cold until this point and then become hot just above the rated temp. Careful not to get burned when you check this.

Black
    94 Z28

The hose starts out cold and heats up normal the thermostat is a 180 didnt want to go to low bec of the cold and ? How do i know if water pupme is bad i looked inside the radiator and i see fluid comming out of this hole in radiator into the raidator does that mean the water pump is circulating the coolant
    Last edited by dany3350; 02-26-2013 at 02:39 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....if water is moving the pump is running. How long did you let it run with the cap off to purge air? My gut still says it has air in they system. Any leaks anywhere?

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

You have a 94 LT1. There are 2 bleed valves in your cooling system I believe. One is on the thermostat housing, and I think the other is on the TB. Only one of them is for "burping" your system, and I can not remember which one it is, but it needs to be open. You need to have the engine running while you are filling the system and also make sure heater is on full blast

Just check your owners manual, should give you a full description of how to properly add coolant
    Last edited by jakez28; 02-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.

Black
    94 Z28

There r no leaks that i can see but then again ill have to confirm that by doing a pressure test this weekend and i let it run for about thirty min and a bit of air came out but then ther was just a flow of coolant not much but had no aur purging out

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

There r no leaks that i can see but then again ill have to confirm that by doing a pressure test this weekend and i let it run for about thirty min and a bit of air came out but then ther was just a flow of coolant not much but had no aur purging out
    Can you confirm what engine you have?

Black
    94 Z28

Ill have to check for the second air bleeder wasnt aware there was two anyone where this might be wouldnt be the enginge temp sensor plug ? or is it something else

Black
    94 Z28

Its 5.7 lt1 year 94 is this what u meant or is there a number somewhere on the block

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

You need to open the bleeder until coolant flows out. And as stated earlier, have you looked at your engine data with a scan tool to verify these temperatures instead of just looking at the stock guage.
    My buddy had similar problems on his 94 Vette. You may have to completely drain and refill your system, and i mean DRAIN. pull out knock sensors. LTs use reverse flow cooling I believe Refer to the manual for proper fill procedure
    Last edited by jakez28; 02-26-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Black
    94 Z28

Ill try that today since im off work ill drain it and see if autozone has a loan tool to scan the car.
    Last edited by dany3350; 02-27-2013 at 07:15 AM.

Thread Information