93RTTT

Exclamation Engine out top or bottom?!

Two years ago, I bought a '93 Stealth R/T TT. To learn more about my car, I got online and stumbled upon 3si.org, an ENDLESS wealth of knowledge for the platform. So, as my buddy is about to take the engine out of his '01 T/A, I looked for a great forum for his car..... TAAADAAAA! I think I found it! Looks like I'm in the right place.

So, what I'd like to know is:

1. What's your experience with taking out engines in these cars? Is it easier to go out the top or the bottom? When I worked for a mechanic, I did a few cars out the bottom, and it was SOOOO much easier, but I know that just depends on the car... So, let me know what you think.

2. Aside from bagging/labeling bolts, clue me in on any tips/tricks you might have por favor.

Anyhow, I'll thank any responders in advance. My buddy has a nice ride... even if it's not a twin turbo, AWD, AWS monster like my car... hahahahaha. Just messing. I think the F-body is a very respecatble platform. It was made to go fast, and it sure as hell does that. So, anyhow, later.
    Last edited by 93RTTT; 04-12-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: better title

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

If you're going to remove the engine from the top, most likey you will need to remove the hood, and the transmission is going to have to be disconnected too.

As for removing it from the bottom, you will need a lift for this. The benefit of removing it from the bottom is that the engine and transmission comes down in one piece along with the front suspension.
    The downside is that alot of hoses and wiring is gonna need to be disconnected including the brake lines for the front.

If it was me, I'll let someone take care of it

93RTTT
    good call Chris. we have a lift available, and as far as letting someone else do it goes... that takes $$$, which we don't have. haha, at least I don't have. Anyways, thanks again.

Black
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 93RTTT
    good call Chris. we have a lift available, and as far as letting someone else do it goes... that takes $$$, which we don't have. haha, at least I don't have. Anyways, thanks again.
    Your hands will sure look like it got into a fight with a cat

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I pulled my from the top. Hood and tranny off first.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I agree go out the top.

I put 2 LS1's into my 94 (threw a rod in the first one) and the first time was bottom second time was top... do the top

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

If you have a rack available so you can get it off the ground high enough so you can get the engine out from under the car I would take it out the bottom. There isn't that much that needs to be disconnected to drop it out the bottom and it save alot of frustration of trying to get it out the top. But at home you would probably would want to take it out the top.

for pinks ?????????

jet black
    87 IROC Z G92 LS1 swap

out the bottom on the floor with a floor jack and 2 stands. and I own thirdgens

i work at a pontiac dealer and my info on the subject says for it to go out the bottom and i believe that you can leave the motor attached the front frame section and raise the car off of the frame section once you disconnect all your electrical and fuel connetors

Thread Information