engine compression and my clutch

This is a discussion on engine compression and my clutch within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i've been told that if you rev your engine high a lot it will lose compression over time. i'm just ...

black
    2001 Camaro SS

engine compression and my clutch

i've been told that if you rev your engine high a lot it will lose compression over time. i'm just curious about how much you have to beat the shit out of your car to lose compression. when i bought the car a few days ago the guy was like "mike honestly you can't hurt this engine." i'm just curious if ne1 knows how true it is. it seems like a difficult question to answer.

also my clutch catches real high and i was wondering if that was a sign of wear or just how it is. also its not that heavy and i was told these clutches are real heavy.

it's honestly probably just me bein paranoid about my new car but maybe someone has somethin to say

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Reving an engine high does not cause a loss in compression. If you rev the motor to 8,000 rpm all day long, yea, it's gonna hurt something. But blasting up to the rev limiter (6100?) shouldn't hurt the motor at all, as long as it's properly warmed up.

What kind of clutch? Stock? Stock clutch is light. It's a hydraulic system, and a 'stock' clutch, as opposed to a more race oriented clutch. As far as stock goes, it shouldn't be that hard at all. The clutch catching high is a sign of clutch wear, but there is no real need to worry until you start to smell it, or it starts to slip under load.

Chris

black
    2001 Camaro SS

oh okay cool. yeah i think it slipped a little when i ran it real hard out of a toll gate. i dunno for sure tho. but i do think the clutch is gettin old on it. how much does it cost to do the clutch and everything (throw out bearings and pressure plates and all that stuff?)
    thanx for the advice by the way

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

I may be old school but my advice is not to rev your engine unless its under load. It may sound cool but ...

You have a harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. It helps, but is not meant to take care of the imbalances of an engine in a freewheeling mode at other than idle.

Bet Sarge can kick in about this.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The harder you run a motor the shorter it's life span. To say you can't hurt this motor is BS. Of course you can. It's all in how you do it-some guys can blow up anything-other guys can go fast and not hurt a thing.
    The clutches got a redesigned hydraulic system by 2001-makes for a much lighter pedal than previous models.

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    I may be old school but my advice is not to rev your engine unless its under load. It may sound cool but ...
    Right. I ASSuMEd that when you asked aobut reving it, it was under a load. And 02z28 is right. You will shorten it's life span by running it hard. But as long as you drive like a normal human being, and if you get on it every so ofte, you won't kill your motor, as long as you don't screw up (miss shifts, downshift at to high speed/rpm etc). I meant that by racing a motor you won't take 75,000 miles off it's life in just a few races.

Chris

Thread Information