2000 Pontiac Trans-am WS6

Emissions v.s. Tune

Where I live I thought they did the emissions sniff test but as it turns out they only do the OBD-II emissions test, so my question is this.
    I have a predator tuner that will cancel all my EGR & O2 P-codes and I want to know if I will pass emisssions if I cancel the codes or will my OBD-II rat on me and tell the test computer what I've done. I also want to get rid of my EGR equipped intake manifold and go with the LS6 "no EGR" model as well as put on some headers. Can I get away with that by canceling the codes? (again I mean will I fail emissions) I know I may have to deal with visual inspection issues but right now my question is purely emissions related.

White
    98 Trans AM

If you just "Delete" the code your computer will show an N/A to the scanner as it does not have enough data to give a report. You would have to have a true custom tune where the sensor is omitted from reporting any errors. So yes, the computer will tell that codes have been cleared and not let you pass an ODBII test.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I ran into a similar issue, If your light is on or even if its not if its throwing codes or hasnt cleared itself then the computer will pick it up and give you a not ready. You will have too get the codes tunned out or deleted from your comp and then like the pcm cycle a few times and it should be good.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Quote Originally Posted by Transam388 View Post
    If you just "Delete" the code your computer will show an N/A to the scanner as it does not have enough data to give a report. You would have to have a true custom tune where the sensor is omitted from reporting any errors. So yes, the computer will tell that codes have been cleared and not let you pass an ODBII test.
    Am I to understand then that my Predator programmer simply shuts off the SES light but does not deactivate the sensor or stop it from reporting errors?
    If that's the case then what the hell is the point?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Ponti-MANIac View Post
    Am I to understand then that my Predator programmer simply shuts off the SES light but does not deactivate the sensor or stop it from reporting errors?
    If that's the case then what the hell is the point?
    If you have the series 2 predator then yes you can tune the rear o2's, egr and air codes out. You'll want to get the p0420 and p0430 codes out also...which is under modify tune and then COT.

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    If you have the series 2 predator then yes you can tune the rear o2's, egr and air codes out. You'll want to get the p0420 and p0430 codes out also...which is under modify tune and then COT.
    Yes I have the series II and I appreciate your input on this subject but I'm still waiting to understand under what circumstances would you tune these codes out, LT's and ORY? And if I am going to fail emissions because in my state they hook up to the OBD-II, then what is the point if tuning out the codes only shuts off the SES light but does not stop the sensor from sending the signal? In other words how can I make these modifications and still pass emissions????
    Thanks.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Yes most tune them out because of LT's and ORY...or they fried their cats and don't want to replace them.

As far as if you'll pass emissions or not I don't know. It depends on what diablosport has the predators programmed to do when you tune the codes out. If they have them programmed to read n/a then you won't pass...best thing to do is call diablo and ask.

You can always have the smog shop do a pre-test for a extra fee...and they'll tell you if you'll pass or not before they actually test it.

Thread Information