pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Emissions question

I am living in north Carolina for now while I attended school, I might decide to stay afterwords though. so hears the problem, I moved from Ohio where we have no state inspections but here they do, now I won't have to worry about this till late 2009 but I want to get some info before that. I had all my emissions deleted from my 99 trans am I would have no problem putting some high flow cats and my rear o2's back on as well as turning my air pump back on but I was wondering if I could get away with not putting my egr back on? I was thinking about getting a 01-02 ls1 or ls6 intake since they didn't require a egr valve. So I wanted to know if the state inspectors would be able to tell that my car was supposed to have an egr or if it would even be an issue as long as the ses light was not on and they couldn't tell that one was ever on there just by looking at it.

Purple
    98 Firebird

The emissions sticker under the hood should have the EGR as being on the car when manufactured.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If your car was born with it, you need it Cali as I understand it.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If your car was born with it, you need it Cali as I understand it.
    Yes you have it right. Also, it you put on high flow cats, be sure and keep any info proving that they are carb legal in all 50 states.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrian442 View Post
    The emissions sticker under the hood should have the EGR as being on the car when manufactured.
    What if that sitcker "dissapered"?

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackbird View Post
    Yes you have it right. Also, it you put on high flow cats, be sure and keep any info proving that they are carb legal in all 50 states.
    I will be sure to keep any info with the cats, and no I dont have the egr anymore I left it in ohio god only knows whats happend to it.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1buckey View Post
    What if that sitcker "dissapered"?
    Buy one for a corvette that shows no egr.

Purple
    98 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Buy one for a corvette that shows no egr.
    Or a newer F body that didn't come with one, but the year is shown on the sticker.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

It depends on where in North Carolina you decide to settle down. I am originally from Elizabeth City, NC (the Northeast corner of the state) and they are only required to perform a visual inspection. To date, I've never had trouble getting my Corvette inspected in NC (LT's, ORY, full exhaust, !EGR, !cats, etc.).

My understanding is that some of the larger metro areas in NC are going to adopt the emissions sniffer test. If that's the case, changing the EGR stickers and a good tune removing the codes will often times NOT be enought to pass the test. If those areas choose to adopt a test that simply involves plugging into the OBDII connector, you should be fine as long as the EGR (and/or O2) codes are deleted.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    It depends on where in North Carolina you decide to settle down. I am originally from Elizabeth City, NC (the Northeast corner of the state) and they are only required to perform a visual inspection. To date, I've never had trouble getting my Corvette inspected in NC (LT's, ORY, full exhaust, !EGR, !cats, etc.).

My understanding is that some of the larger metro areas in NC are going to adopt the emissions sniffer test. If that's the case, changing the EGR stickers and a good tune removing the codes will often times NOT be enought to pass the test. If those areas choose to adopt a test that simply involves plugging into the OBDII connector, you should be fine as long as the EGR (and/or O2) codes are deleted.
    They have been deleted from the computer that was done before I left Ohio I have no SES and no OBDII codes.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Or a newer F body that didn't come with one, but the year is shown on the sticker.
    Why would I buy another car just to pass an emissions test? Thats kinda pushing it.

Purple
    98 Firebird

Why would I buy another car just to pass an emissions test? Thats kinda pushing it.
    The emissions under hood sticker off a newer F body after 2000 that didn't come with a EGR valve.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

The emissions under hood sticker off a newer F body after 2000 that didn't come with a EGR valve.
    Oh lol, my bad. Ya I had thought about doing that and if I got another intake and they tried to tell me it needed an egr I would just say "look at the sticker and look at the intake, now tell me where it's supposed to go"

"I bought the car this way man"

Purple
    98 Firebird

Oh lol, my bad. Ya I had thought about doing that and if I got another intake and they tried to tell me it needed an egr I would just say "look at the sticker and look at the intake, now tell me where it's supposed to go"

"I bought the car this way man"
    Opp's did you drop that $100 bill on the ground there behind you? Look, There's another one. Do you have a hole in your pocket?

That almost always works!

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

^ lol I got ya, I was thinking about just moving back to Ohio where I'm from after school here and just storing it for the winter , getting a beater. I'm sure it just a matter of time before they start doing checks up there to though.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Alrighty buddy, here's the run down on the whole emmisions gig. Being in cali they're pretty strict here and I'm pretty well verse with emmisions because I'm a smog tech out here. As far as your state, it depends on the laws in your area but they pretty much follow the same TSI inspection routine as out here in cali. The first thing that they will check is the VECI decal underneath the hood and if they're gonna be strict, check the 10th VIN digit to verify the year. There are two types of VECI decals, a federal and cal emmisions. Each will list the equipped emmisions of your vehicle. Even if you do change the VECI out for a newer one, if the inspector is savvy, you won't get away with it. You can get the VECI from a place like classic industries but the inspectors have what's called the Mitchell Bible for emmisions which is a book with every vehicle to date and all the emmisions equipment just in case the VECI is missing. So it will be hard to get away with it as I said if he's savvy. For your car this is what they will check, Cat, EGR, AIR injection, and EVAP canister. The biggest problem you will have is the Cat and EGR. The air is easy to bolt back in. If I were you, get the LS6 manifold but drilled for EGR and just plug it till your inspection. That solves that issue. As far as your cats, you can probably get away with the high flows if not they will require you to put in the stock setup. Research the laws in NC and see what you can get away with. I hope this was enough info to get you a head start. Let me know if you have any questions.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    Alrighty buddy, here's the run down on the whole emmisions gig. Being in cali they're pretty strict here and I'm pretty well verse with emmisions because I'm a smog tech out here. As far as your state, it depends on the laws in your area but they pretty much follow the same TSI inspection routine as out here in cali. The first thing that they will check is the VECI decal underneath the hood and if they're gonna be strict, check the 10th VIN digit to verify the year. There are two types of VECI decals, a federal and cal emmisions. Each will list the equipped emmisions of your vehicle. Even if you do change the VECI out for a newer one, if the inspector is savvy, you won't get away with it. You can get the VECI from a place like classic industries but the inspectors have what's called the Mitchell Bible for emmisions which is a book with every vehicle to date and all the emmisions equipment just in case the VECI is missing. So it will be hard to get away with it as I said if he's savvy. For your car this is what they will check, Cat, EGR, AIR injection, and EVAP canister. The biggest problem you will have is the Cat and EGR. The air is easy to bolt back in. If I were you, get the LS6 manifold but drilled for EGR and just plug it till your inspection. That solves that issue. As far as your cats, you can probably get away with the high flows if not they will require you to put in the stock setup. Research the laws in NC and see what you can get away with. I hope this was enough info to get you a head start. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks man, That is a huge help. Right now I don't have to worry about the inspection b/c my car is registered in ohio and it will be till oct 2010 I am going back home this oct and getting the two year reg. Still though that info will be a big help for the future or if I decide to stay here in the end.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

NP buddy

Thread Information