Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SS Camaro UK

Emissions problem

This is a discussion on Emissions problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My car failed its emissions test yesterday (lambda reading was too high) There is nothing different with the car from ...

Emissions problem

My car failed its emissions test yesterday (lambda reading was too high)

There is nothing different with the car from last year except the SLP Loudmouth I fitted earlier this year. A brief Google search indicates that leaks in the exhaust can cause a high lambda reading. There are a couple of small leaks (acceptable in the UK) at the joints of the Loudmouth but they were unavoidable due to the way it is constructed.

I have even thought it could be the Loudmouth itself, as the resonator has no absorption properties like a muffler does.

Any contributions more than welcome.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have the same exhaust and I have not failed because of leaks but I do not have any exhaust leaks. Then again I recently had my resonator welded in several spots. Something you may consider. This being said I do not know how emissions different over in the UK and in Virginia. You aren't throwing any codes are you? There could be an underlying problem.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Your 02's may need replacing or your cats may not be functioning properly.

A CB exhaust will not cause a failure on emissions,LT headers will as it moves the converter farther back so it doesn't warm sufficiently to scrub the hydrocarbons.

No codes being thrown but a thought occurs to me - the test station is only 3 miles away, maybe taking it on a longer run beforehand will warm up the cats thoroughly and they'll function as they're supposed to.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

try that. My Dad replaced his CATs on his Suburban and had the same issue. Shop told him to drive for 30-45 mins to get the new CATs warmed up. Passed

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    No codes being thrown but a thought occurs to me - the test station is only 3 miles away, maybe taking it on a longer run beforehand will warm up the cats thoroughly and they'll function as they're supposed to.
    Yup its not getting hot enough go for a really good romp.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Passed emissions today

Took it for a good run but there was another issue, I've got the 3 inch tail pipes with the Loudmouth but the tester didn't put the probe past the tail pipe and into the main exhaust last time, that was why the lambda reading was too high. This time he put the probe in as far as it would go and he got an almost perfect reading.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SS Camaro UK View Post
    Passed emissions today

Took it for a good run but there was another issue, I've got the 3 inch tail pipes with the Loudmouth but the tester didn't put the probe past the tail pipe and into the main exhaust last time, that was why the lambda reading was too high. This time he put the probe in as far as it would go and he got an almost perfect reading.
    Glad you passed!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

So how do the Brits take to the Camaro over there?

My daughter has a friend that her parents are from England and the father loves my bird.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    So how do the Brits take to the Camaro over there?

My daughter has a friend that her parents are from England and the father loves my bird.
    The Camaro is well received almost everywhere I go. Most of the time I get asked "Wow, what's that?" and total disbelief when I tell them the engine size (3 litres is considered huge over here). I also get remarks that it doesn't go round corners very well or get very good MPG (I just leave those people to wallow in their ignorance). A car that provides such huge smile factor every I get in and fire it up, just can't be faulted.

Thread Information