SOM
    2002 SS

Emergency brake help needed !!!!!!!

Ok so I've done this type of thing 1000x times on my 93 vette and all of my parents cars etc.

I just changed to new pads and rotors. Stuck on the front right (first one I'm doing).

1) I installed all the clips.
    2) I pushed both caliper pistons all the way in.
    3) installed both pads (all same thickness)

4) Here's the problem. the top caliper bolt will NOT line up. the pistons are so in there is a gap so it's not like there isn't room. the top of the caliper mount hits the caliper bracket. When I remove the bracket the top bolt hole is protruding out more than the lower one. is this normal?

Here's a pic please help !!! it's almost 1am I'm not sleeping till they're all done.

SOM
    2002 SS

Ok did some research looks liek these are slide pins? Mine may be siezed... sigh... can anyone chime in on how to remove these?

black
    2002 WS6

best idea i have is to use a drift punch and some penitrating oil. Or a press.

SOM
    2002 SS

SO these are pins right? Can they be removed so I can clean/grease them? Might just call gm tomorrow and buy new brackets

black
    2002 WS6

yea they can be removed I'm pretty sure, how though I am not sure. might be an alen head type of fastener. It been a while since I last looked at how mine are put together.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Did this a couple of weeks ago. Take off the bracket... 18mm i think.. get the slide pins out.. buy new ones. LUBE them up. Smack the caliper on with a hammer. One firm GENTLE smack and it will seat Mine was pretty tight.

SOM
    2002 SS

I threw on some wd40 after I took the bracket off and its sitting right now. I was able to smack the trouble pin in and I know I can get the caliper on BUT... How do I remove the pins? I'm debating on just ordering new caliper brackets tomorrow and new pins.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I threw on some wd40 after I took the bracket off and its sitting right now. I was able to smack the trouble pin in and I know I can get the caliper on BUT... How do I remove the pins? I'm debating on just ordering new caliper brackets tomorrow and new pins.
    A propane torch and time or new caliper brackets.. this is my second set...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

been a few years since I pulled my pins out. If memory serves me correctly they have an allen head in the end and then you can put a crescent wrench on the other side to break them loose. Take me a picture of the whole thing front and back and it'll come back to me but I'm pretty sure that's how you get the pins out. I took mine out when I painted my calipers about 3-4 years ago. Go buy new pins and lube them up real good. Also, use some loctite on them when putting them back together.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    been a few years since I pulled my pins out. If memory serves me correctly they have an allen head in the end and then you can put a crescent wrench on the other side to break them loose. Take me a picture of the whole thing front and back and it'll come back to me but I'm pretty sure that's how you get the pins out. I took mine out when I painted my calipers about 3-4 years ago. Go buy new pins and lube them up real good. Also, use some loctite on them when putting them back together.
    Hmm mine might be different but I think the fronts are either 12 or 16mm or vice versa. I put a wrench and heat on mine.. the flat spots pictured below is where the wrenchs sits at.

I think the 3/8 allen head is on earlier GM stuff like park avenues or my k5 blazer.

SOM
    2002 SS

Boy am I ever frustrated !! I could usually do all 4 on even my olds aurora in a short time its been hours and I got stuck on this stubborn thing!

a 5/8 wrench fits on the head of the pins. I bolted thebracket on and used the 5/8 wrench to spin one pin. I then removed the bracket and spun her both ways until she was tightening down or what seemed like tightening. it got looser and looser until I decided to just trying pulling the thing and she slid right out ! I wd-40'd the pin and inside.. and used fine grit on the pin to remove flaky rust.

When I tried the 2nd pin... the one that wasn't giving problems getting the caliper on the wrench just rounded the pin head. I tried carefully as I could and no luck. It's definitely rusted tight. I will probably have to torch it.

I can get the caliper on no doubt now that the initial problem pin is cleaned and lubed, but I don't think I'm confortable knowing the lower pin is siezed. I'm going to call it a night and call gm in the morning see if I can get both brackets and pins new (L+R). I hope they're not on backorder or not in stock.

To give you guys an idea what I'm dealing with...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Ill be the first to say holy dogshit. New components is the only way to go.

Going fast is cool and all but brakes are the most overlooked feature on the car IMO

98 Formula
    06 duramax

run to the parts store and buy a can of pb blaster....it'll get you much further than wd-40. WD-40 is not really a penetrating oil although it does penetrate to a degree. It's more of a rust preventative. Once you use pb blaster you'll ALWAYS have a can handy. I agree that you would probably be ahead of the game using new hardware but try it with pb blaster first and see what that gets you. No sense in buying new brackets if you can get the pins out and just replace the pins unless the bracket is damaged.

black
    2002 WS6

Looking at the pic you posted, get new all the way around including rotors, those things look really worn, from all the rust I would say that car sees winters.

Thread Information